WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

singingpilgrim

About My Hope for a 2011 Thru-Hike

Rate this Entry
So I just noticed that there's a blog feature on here. I keep a regular blogger blog, but was thinking I'd keep one about my preparation for my hoped 2011 thru-hike.
I've been thinking about it, and these are the different areas needing focus in the next year of preparation:

• Get my fitness level up.
  • Education.
  • Getting Sophie (my dog) in trail condition.
  • Acquiring (and choosing) gear.
  • Get the money.
  • Prepping my body/mindset.
  • Spiritual discipline and keeping my focus on my King, Jesus.
  • The charity question.
  • Food (dehydration, mail drops, etc)

Below I will expand on each area, getting my thoughts into print.

Get My Fitness Level Up
I've been just working out a little more. Right now I'm not concentrating on any part of the body, just doing more. I've decided I'll make sure at least three times a week I get on the wii fit plus and burn 200 calories for now. By the end of April, I want that to be daily and do other exercises as well. I'm hoping to clear the poison ivy off the path in our woods and hike up and down the hill in our woods b/c I figure that's the closest I can do where I live. I also have an exercise bike I will do cardio on. When the weather warms up, I will go nature walking with my friend Tabitha, and I will also go with her to the gym. I don't have a membership, but I lent her cash with the understanding she pays me back through guest passes (it comes out to fourteen visits). I also hope to hike/walk portions of the Palmetto Trail. As weather gets warmer, I will try to walk around where I live, but I admit there are neither sidewalks nor shoulders to the roads, so I don't feel that safe.

Education
Mainly, that will be white blaze teaching. I also am planning on buying or getting books from the library. I also plan on researching nutrition. And hopefully, meeting and discussing the trail with experienced hikers.

Getting Sophie (my dog) in Trail Condition
I'm going to slowly increase her exercise, and closer to, take her to the vet to be checked out. I also am working on her training, especially in trail specific areas and her areas of weakness. I will also rub stuff on the bottom of her pads to make them stronger. When I go hiking for at least a week later, I will take Sophie with me. She may fail the test miserably or pass with flying colors, but either way will be a success because it will highlight what I will need to work on with her. She's a rat terrier, and they are neither lazy nor hyper dogs, but instead dogs that tend to conform to their owner's lifestyle. So with steady increases in her exercise, she should be fine.

Acquiring (and Choosing) Gear
Right now all I have for certain is my tent and half my socks. I probably have a lot more though, such as clothes and other things. I need to make a budget and priority list. I know I will buy hiking boots, everything else I will consider dirt bagging. I also have Christmas and a birthday between now and then and plan on asking for specific gear or money. I'll outline more later.

Get the Money
Don't know how I'm doing this yet. I am hoping to sell lots of my stuff. And I contacted the local artist's hub about getting a table at their occassional art sales. In addition, I'll save from work. I hope to get at least 2K past covering my bills and the price of my initial gear. If I can do that, or close, I'll be starting my thru-hike. And if I have to work for my stay or for a week or so at some point to keep going, well then that's what I'll do.

Prepping my Body/Mindset
This will be accomplished mainly through preparations closer to... for example, probably starting in the summer I'll make myself exercise outside even in the rain. I'm going to start sleeping on the floor at some point. Also, this means testing out all my gear, not just to test it, but to get used to and be comfortable with using it. This will mean carrying even a small pack around, and hooking Sophie on a leash to my belt and keeping her near me all day long for at least a week before.

Spiritual discipline and keeping my focus on my King, Jesus
This is the most important part, not just for this undertaking but my life. I am only doing this if it's God's Will, and listening for His direction is key. If He says to walk away the day before I start, I will obey. I can only do this with His guidance. I am obese, have plantar fasciitis, a sleeping disorder, and a history of bad knees. I am the least athletic woman you may ever know. BUT, I have Christ, so I'm not worried. If it's His Will, it'll happen. If it's not, then I don't want it. My number one goal in this is to have an adventure with my best friend, Jesus, and accomplish what He wants for me. My focus must not veer from Him or it'll come about me, my selfish desires, my will, and I will fail to accomplish His goals, which are what I aim for.

The Charity Question
As of right now I plan on hiking for a charity that supplies clean water to areas of the world that don't have it. Which charity, I'm unsure. But I figure, why not, and the issue of clean drinking water is dear to my heart. I will probably start to focus on this more in the fall. I really do care, and want this hike not to benefit me alone. I do admit that the benefit of knowing if I leave the trail I don't only let me down is attractive to me.

Food (dehydration, mail drops, etc)
I hope to get a dehydrator and begin preparing soon. I will research hiker nutrition and get a better idea of what's going on. Then I will look for bulk sales and such. I hope to rely primarily on mail drops. I want to be food to be one less thing to worry about.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments