WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Epoling

Jumping right in.

Rate this Entry
Hello A/T world,
I have fantasized about this for awhile now. I am heading out in the next week to Springer Mountain. I'm off work for the summer as of yesterday and am attempting to put it all together in the next few days. I am sure there is a slang term for the style I am choosing to do this, as cheap as possible, no expectations, little experience. I've read a lot about the trail and the only thing I think I really have going for me is a strong back, long legs, and family to send me re-supply along the way.
I am really looking forward to meeting people along the way but I am also concerned I will be months behind the majority of other thru-hikers. I assume there will be plenty of other people to meet though, and if I bust ass I might catch up with some people.
Any and all advice is appreciated. I will be posting my gear lists soon and hopefully getting some feedback from anyone who may be reading this.
-Eric (needs a trail name)

Comments

dont try to catch up to the pack. you need to take the first week or so a little slower till you get your trail legs, and the pack will be already doing hi mileage days. instead hike your own hike. guaranteed you'll meet some great people and fit into your own group, make your own friendships, hike your own hike.experience your own trail magic.have fun.
    Thanks a lot hikerboy. Just got my ride set and will be at the Trail Sunday morning. Kinda surreal still.
    Enjoy your hike man. I wish I could join you! That adventure awaits me in the future. Don't forget to update. When you make it to PA msg me I live in DWG and can hook you up with some magic (if you're here before the school semester starts)