WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

skylar24

Any words of wisdom?

Rate this Entry
I'm leaving in 2 days to embark on my SOBO adventure. I'm really excited and overwhelmed. What is the best advice or tips that people have? This could be concerning anything. just looking for some last minute words of wisdom. Thanks everyone!
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hi Skylar24,

Based on your last couple blogs, it looks like you might be new to backpacking. If so, my first 'words of wisdom' are to enjoy your hike! People new to backpacking can easily get discouraged sometimes because it is very demanding and takes a lot of hard work; and, quite frankly, is not always fun during the process. So, just keep in mind some of the positive reasons you wanted to get out and hike in the first place and what you want out of it; in short, keep you vision.

Enable yourself (and hiking partners if you have them) to do your hike. You're starting out in arguably some of the most difficult parts of the trail. So, I suggest going as light as possible without sacrificing too much comfort and certainly not sacrificing safety. Staying light will make things easier physically and mentally for you. Over time you will refine what gear and hiking techniques work best for you.

Encourage yourself each day if you find yourself having difficulty doing the hike. Simple things like snacks, rests in scenic areas and encouraging other hikers all help create positive support for yourself.

You might read this in Monson if you have already left, so, hopefully these few words I have will help you for the rest of your trip! Take care.

~ got lab?
    Updated 06-26-2011 at 15:59 by got lab? (correct name)
    Keep your pack weight at bare bones, not counting food/water, of course.
    Leave behind anything that you don't use on a regular basis, with the
    exception of rain gear.