WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

bgood360

North Face Cats Meow vs the Osprey Exos 46, Part 3 (Finale)

Rate this Entry
I've been meaning to write this awhile, seeing as how I've resolved the sleeping bag vs. backpack issue.

As I mentioned earlier, I ended up buying a MontBell U.L. Super Spiral Down Hugger #5. The sleeping bag comes in at 16 ounces and compresses down to the size of a Nerf football. I know it was a rash decision, but I said "I'll take it!" as soon as I saw it stuffed into a small stuff sack and cinched down. But, even as I was making the purchase, I figured there was numerous ways to compensate for the fact I was giving up my 20 degree bag for a 40 degree bag.

I've slept out in it a few times already and am good with my decision. Though it's rated as a forty-degree bag, I've found it comfortable down to 30 and a little less, and that's with just the bag and a sleeping pad (no tent, for instance).

In each case of sleeping out, I slept comfortably for eight hours and with few issues. With that said, I know there's still a few more tricks up my sleeve. For instance, filling a bottle with hot water and putting it in the sleeping bag with you as tuck in provides some warmth, as does eating a Snickers bar or similar item. Also, one can don a fleece jacket or other clothing, provided that the jacket or clothing doesn't completely fill the bag, compress the down, and squash any insulation properties the bag provides.

I've paired the sleeping bag and sleeping pad with my tent (a LightHeart Gear Solo with Awning) and tent pad (piece of Tyvek cut to fit tent) and slept out in cold, misty & rainy weather, and had no issues, even down to freezing.

Even though I know these conditions don't replicate those one might encounter on the trai — say, outside all day long, several days in a row at freezing temperatures and a low of 20 or worse at night — I hope the techniques listed above plus a few others can compensate. In a pinch, I have some expedition weight (!) long johns on the way (should arrive today) I can put on. I have also found that laying my jacket over the sleeping bag instead of wearing it inside the sleeping bag has been very effective.

In any case, I'm pleased with my decision and now eagerly check the weather each day to see how cold it's supposed to get over night. Here's hoping to something in the twenties this week!

-- Hat, 2012 NOBO AT

Updated 02-08-2012 at 22:49 by bgood360

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good luck on your hike! I hope you continue to update along the way. You are in for a life changing adventure!
    Updated 02-09-2012 at 00:31 by Trebor66
    Thanks, Trebor66! I'm now down to counting days rather than weeks before I start.