WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

bgood360

Food, food, food...

Rate this Entry
The grocery store (and even the convenience stores and gas stations) look a lot different now that I have my Hiker Goggles on.

Where I used to scan the shelves and look for best price or a favorite brand, I now find myself picking an item from the shelf and weighing it in my hand and deciding if it's worth the weight and volume it'll occupy in my pack. Never mind that I'm not actually shopping at that moment for food for my hike, the mindset has already taken residence and established its habits.

I used to get a lot of pleasure from finding odd or uncommon ingredients and knowing that there was one special recipe in which I could use that item. Now I look at ingredients and ask, "How many different ways can I use that and how long will it keep?" And, even more important, I ask myself "Will I get sick of it after a week or three?"

And, what I used to skip over -- either because I thought it was nasty (I'm looking at you, Spam) or, to the contrary, because I considered it a guilty pleasure -- I'm now pausing at and rethinking its place in my diet. Spam, you don't look like a questionable pink meat-like substance of dubious and most likely slaughterhouse floor origin; you're now protein presented to me in a convenient single serve pack. And, those fancy hot chocolate packets that ounce for ounce are in line with the cost of certain entry level caviars? Well, one or two of those now seem like the perfect thing to stash away for particularly nasty days when the rain and cold won't quit and I need a little perk to keep up my spirits.

And, don't get me started on those little bottles of adult spirits and what have you. Yes, they're overpriced, especially when you consider that for a tiny six-pack of those airplane bottles (as we call them) you could buy an entire full size bottle of Jameson or Captain Morgan or whatever your favorite poison may be. But, take one of those 50ml bottles of Gray Goose or Absolut and pair it with one 5-1/2 ounce can of Mr & Mrs T's Spicy Bloody Mary Mix and you have a diminutive brunch beverage in the making for one lazy Sunday morning on the trail.

Now, if I could only figure out how to get a celery stick and an olive to stay fresh until then...

-- Hat, 2012 NOBO AT

Updated 02-08-2012 at 22:48 by bgood360

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

How much food do you carry at one time before you are able to make it to the next stop. an estimate if you can?
    Generally, it seems about four days or so.

I have a spreadsheet I put together on Google Docs where I've figured out my likely stops for the night and where I will resupply. For the most part, it seems I can resupply about every 3 to 5 days. There are some stretches where I could skip a town and go 7 or so days, but for the most part, it doesn't seem to make sense to weigh myself down with food (the rule of thumb seems to be 1-1/2 to 2 lbs of food per day) that I can just pick up along the way.

If I recall from your blog, you plan on hiking [part of] the trail with your daughter, so I would imagine that you're going to be carrying more food per day than the typical solo hiker. So, you'll want to keep that in mind when you do your planning. Also, I would imagine that your daughter would have different dietary needs than an adult (different amount of calories, perhaps a more balanced diet -- I'm just guessing here, you'll know way better than I do what a growing kid needs to stay healthy).

I have a few mail drops planned, but that's mostly for feel-good items to perk me up and keep me looking forward when perhaps the hike might otherwise get a little monotonous.
    may i ask the mail drop locations? i have prepared some and plan to start March 1. Would like easy access to trail as possible.
    Sure thing, Rory. I am finishing up the last of my plan, tidying up what I set to paper a month or more ago, and I will send you my plan w/ mail drops.