WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

bgood360

Squatch, Tetris, Jack Rabbit, Rambo

Rate this Entry
...while humming up Unicoi Turnpike, just north of Wilks Road and about 11 miles south of Hiawassee, Georgia. I saw the AT crossing sign first and then four hikers with a "Hiker to Town" sign about a moment later. We whipped into the turnout to the side of the road and I hopped out to see if there was anything we could do.

Frankly, I thought giving them a ride into town was out of the question since the car was loaded down with luggage, my gear (I had taken it down to Houston to get Dad's thoughts on what to do with that baffling bulky TNF 15 degree Cats Meow sleeping bag and my Exos 46 pack), and various gifts and such the family had sent back with us. But, I thought it didn't hurt to ask and see if there was anything else they needed.

After introducing themselves -- Squatch, Tetris, Jack Rabbit, and Rambo -- I asked what I could do to help.

Phone service was their top priority if a ride wasn't in the cards. None of them could get service and as a result there was now way to contact the shuttle from Budget Inn in Hiawassee. No problem, I thought, my phone is pretty good in such situations.

No dice. The dreaded "No Service" popped up as soon as I hit dial.

You guys need anything else? Nope? Well, okay. Hey, wait -- I could stop by the Budget Inn and let them know you're out here. Duh!

I got in the car, put it in gear, but then thought about it a moment. Putting it back in park but leaving it running, I hopped back out.

"Hey, let's give it a try. I bet we could squeeze you in. Two for sure, maybe three. I don't know about a fourth, but let's see what happens." They were up for that. Worst case, I was thinking, I could give 2 of them a ride into town and then turn around and get the others on a return trip, though the car was running on Empty and I'd have to remember to tank up while in town.

I popped the hatchback open, ran around to the back passenger door, and started humming stuff over the back seat into the storage area. Then it was back around to the bumper to squish everything into the tightest possible mass.

We were able to squeeze two packs into the back of the car (a '09 Pontiac Vibe) and then three hikers into the back seat. A third pack went into the back seat, across the laps of everyone. With a bit of discussion, some coaxing, and maybe a violation or two of Newtonian physics, we squeezed the fourth hiker (sorry, the names and particular arrangements get fuzzy) and his pack into the back seat.

Grand total: 6 people, 4 packs (plus my little Osprey Exos 46), luggage from a week-long road trip, one wished-he-hadn't-been-awoken-from-his-warm-nap Chihuahua, and maybe a half-gallon of gas left in the tank.

The ride into Hiawassee went smoothly with me pestering them with questions about gear, the weather, and so on. Trail appetites were in full force, apparently, as we hit the edge of town and comments were made concerning the Subway, the DQ, and a number of other places. I'm not sure, but I don't think the question was where they would eat later, but in what order they'd tackle the restaurants.

Budget Inn was easily found, being off the main drag. We dropped them off, I got their names, we took a couple of photos, and we went our separate ways. I'm sure they were heading for a hot shower first and something to eat after that, and I was off to find gas under $3.75 a gallon (total FAIL) and then skidaddle ahead of the storm back to the Piedmont.

A good day, indeed.

-- Hat, 2012 NOBO AT

Updated 02-20-2012 at 15:51 by bgood360

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments