WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Excell

My Food

Rate this Entry
In an attempt to get ready for the 100 mile wilderness I bought 8 days worth of food and packaged them into single day packages. That way I don't overeat and then have no food! haha.

I bought some powdered milk and cereal for breakfast. I added 2 bags of dried fruit to the mix to pump it up with those precious vitamins and minerals! That covers my breakfast.

For snacks throughout the day, I bought peanut butter crackers, cookie packs, bite size snickers, fig newtons, power bars, and the like for snacks throughout the day. I figured I would want about 5 snacks throughout the day. I read that in Andrew Skurka's book, "The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide." It's a good book and seemed like a good food suggestion. I divided those snacks up between each of my daily packages.

Finally, I bought some instant rice, couscous, and had some leftover freeze-dried meals for my dinners. It very well may not be enough food, but I am working it all out. My food weighs about 1.5 # per day. Thus, I added just over 12 pounds to my pack weight.

I have about a liter of water in my bag currently. I will be carrying at least 2 liters of water. Which will add another 2 #. That won't be too much of a concern for me since as the days go by my bag will get lighter. As well, the current weight includes two stoves. I forgot to pull out my fuel cube stove when I added my alcohol stove.

In the end, I have a bag with 8 days of food and my total bag weight is about 30 #. 8 days will be one of the longest resupply distances. I can't complain about how that turned out!! That is until I gain the hikers' appetite and the 1.5 # per day food supply grows to 2.5 # per day!!

What are y'all doing for food?
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments