WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

starbright

Planning my 2013 Thru-Hike

Rate this Entry

Have already gotten the majority of the gear needed for our thru-hike 2013.
Hoping to leave out either the the weekend of March 8th or the next weekend.
But have pretty much decided to leave out in March.
Already have the money set aside for getting there and back.

Going to try to hike the entire trail on $1000.00 or less.
Most don't believe it can be done But I do.

Will post another Journal when we start out and let everyone know how things are going. I do believe it is possible to do this.

To give a little bit about myself.
I have limited funds to make a dream come true and don't believe that should be held against me.

A year ago I was told by my doctors that I have spinal tumors and after surgery will have at best a 30% chance of being able to walk.
So for me this maybe my last chance to make a dream come true. Unless they create a thru trail for wheelchairs.
I'm not out to prove to anyone but myself that I am able to do this Thru-hike.
I'm planning to leave out in March so to leave plenty of time to get there incase of bad days.
I intend to put off surgery as long as I am able to walk against my doctors advice. But the way I see it I am able to walk for now and don't intend to give up until I have too.

And yes I am going to try to do this trail on limited funds and believe that it can be done.
If I make it YEAH for me , if I don't thats ok too because I know that I tried.

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Everybody is concerned about my $1K budget. I'm glad so many people have opinions about it and extremly happy to see that some people like myself think it is possible.
    I'm having a little trouble with the weight of my pack. Can't seem to get it where I want it.
    Getting so excited at this point. Only have to put it all in the pack and hit the road can't wait. Well most of it anyway will be getting the rest of the food right before leaving but have done a weight test and it is alittle heavier than I was aiming for but not too far over looking to be 35 lbs.

Just want to head out now but have to wait.