WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

ighwoman

New perspectives

Rate this Entry
In 2011, when I started my TH, I had intended starting on 20Mar. Because of a kitchen remodeling job I HAD to finish before I could leave MN, I didn't get on the Trail until 29Mar. The nighttime temperatures I ran into from GA all the way the GSMNP were moderate enough that my 40°F REI Lumen was all the bag I needed. The coldest night I experienced (18°F) I stayed at Mountain Crossing...
In 2013, I am going to start on 01Mar, increasing the likelihood that I will have to take a warmer sleeping bag. I have a wonderful 0° down bag, but I think I will be taking my Marmot Medicine Bow, a 15°F down bag. It is a standard W's (women's) bag that at 66" is the perfect size for me and it stuffs much smaller than the zero bag. I have used the bag on a 10° night, and wearing several layers, know it is capable of keeping me safely warm in any temps I will experience that early in March.
I will not be using the Jan Sport Klamath 68L that I used in 2011. Not only was the pack itself not up to the rigors of the Trail, I was unable to adjust the suspension short enough to match my short torso. So I have a new pack: an REI XT-75, although in the Woman's small, it is 70L. It does adjust small enough to fit my torso and has the most amazing internal/external frame suspension. The frame is tensioned aluminum tubing (about 7/16" diameter) that is outside the pack, but contained within the perimeter of the pack. The suspension is a tensioned/suspended to allow really great airflow but with the same movement control that characterizes an internal frame pack. It doesn't have as many outside pockets as the Klamath 68 did, but I think it will work out beautifully.