WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

grif4of10

Don't Over Think It

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by goedde2 View Post
Sorry, but i have to post my thoughts, and apologize to everyone who might take offense. Just my take on the situation generally speaking and not my intention to play the expert, talking down to the less experienced hikers, as a lot of folks seem to do. Nothing beats learning by doing, and everyone is different.

I see a lot of posts suggesting only carrying a portion of your guide book, and bouncing the remainder, leaving the used portion in a drop box. To me this is insane. It only weighs a few ounces and if you leave it intact, it can serve as an invaluable source of reference when you get back home, showing you where you were on such and such a date, etc. Besides, who wants to bother with the hassle of having to be a certain place at a certain time anyway? Makes about as much sense as cutting your toothbrush in half to save gram or two.

Another "gripe" I have is posts from the "purists" who scorn cell phones. A smart phone ( iPhone ) with service from Verizon, for example, using a Mi-Fi Jetpack is an invaluable tool useful for not only the obvious but with enough storage, you can take advantage of the camera, front and back, and keep a daily journal with only a few clicks, documenting yourself visually every day. Anywhere you can get a signal, you have Internet. How can that be a bad thing? A digital camera is also another "must have", but this is just my opinion of course

As for "gaiters", I prefer the short ones because the poplar knee high type used with shorts only makes your legs sweat. All you really need to keep covered is your shoe or boot, not your entire leg from the knee down. They really do add a certain amount of protection from getting wet and they do keep out the sticks and stones, but it's personal preference, just like hiking poles. Some do, some don't. All you really need is long pants, especially when you are walking through dense overgrowth where ticks are a major problem. That's how they get on you, by brushing up against where they live. The last thing you want to deal with is Lyme's Disease.

Another misconception is the use of a hammock. For those who don't already know, they are extremely comfortable, and you don't lie in them looking like a banana. The proper HH is designed to allow you to rest almost totally flat, corner to corner in a trapezoid configuration, bug free, and off the cold and wet ground, with a built in swing seat when you are fixing your lunch. Yes, you are more exposed to the elements, but with a tarp, that problem is eliminated. You will also experience the outside temperatures more readily in the colder climates than in a tent, but with a down sleeping bag and a 3/4 pad, that problem is also eliminated. The huge benefit comes in the warmer months, without worry of fighting the bugs because you are enclosed with a mesh netting. I was once a non-believer myself, but for me, it's the only way to go, and set up/take down is about a minute. If you are on a bald or in the open, just use your tarp and hiking poles to set up a shelter. No problem.

I do think the proper research is necessary but, simply put, here's all you need to think about. Plan for 4 -5 days at a time, not a month or so. Remember every day of food is about 2 lbs. per day. Keep your feet as dry as possible because if you don't, that's how you will get your blisters. Wearing a liner sock will help out a lot. Wear a boot or shoe at least one size larger than your normal shoe size, because you need room for your socks, and your feet will definitely swell when you hike. Change your socks daily, rinsing out the ones you used during the day and drying overnight, by sleeping with them. Stay hydrated, and always, always filter your water. I don't care what others claim about the quality of the water on most parts of the trail, filter it.

Make your hike your hike, not someone else's. Do take time to enjoy what you are doing and where you are. Shelters are shelters, but they are infested with mice, and people who like to party, hikers as well as locals. If that's what you enjoy, go for it, but I prefer the solitude and comfort of a good night's sleep without being crammed in with a bunch of strangers who add their charm (noise) throughout the night. A lot of times, first in is first out, because they race to the next shelter to claim their spot before it fills up later in the day. I've been kept out of a shelter because of limited space in the middle of a rain storm more than once because of this attitude. Not a problem, but setting up in rain isn't my first choice.

Groups have their advantage, and if you are by yourself and approached by a stranger, always let them think you are with a group, even though you are spread out. Just common sense, not paranoia.

The most important thing is, and I know you have heard it time and time gain, but it is weight. That doesn't mean a few luxury items don't warrant consideration. For me it's a pair of Croc's for camp shoes. You want to give your feet a break at the end of the day, but you don't want to step on a thorn on the way to the spring. They come in handy for stream crossings also. Another thing I enjoy is an extra bandana or two. I also keep a small Nalgene bottle clipped to my breast strap for instant gratification without having to struggle to find my large bottle. Yes, you have those folks who claim a throw a way is better and lighter, but a Nalgene is bombproof, and fits my water filter. Yes, I also carry my iPhone, a digital camera that uses AA batteries, and a Pezel head lamp if I am running late and have to set up in the dark.

I hope anything I have offered or suggested is of some use to anyone who reads this post, but it's just a hike. Don't over think it. Thanks.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized