WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

gimpat01

Gimp's 2001 Trail Journal; Part III

Rate this Entry
AND Part III

Hiking out of Vernon chewing grape bubble gum and later having Breeze tell me he could smell it all the way up the mountain. I was over a mile ahead of him.

Going over Bear Mt in NY and seeing a random ski slope alongside the trail.

Staying near Bear Mt. touring West Point Academy and going to an open air concert there. Watching the WP football practice.

The 501 Shelter in PA. w/pizza and pepsi. Where I first heard someone call the leftover crust a pizza bone. Basketball Jones beating Sheriff in the "Gallon Challenge" then not being able to sleep that night cause of all the calories. The freezing "Solar heated" shower.

The hike through the AWFUL Zoo in NY on way to Pawling. Meeting hot dog man on side of road who gave hikers free frozen Snickers bars. Staying at a B&B and eating steak at the bar across the street. Watched VH1 about Mariah Carey's mental breakdown and decided she couldn't have made it on the trail.

Crossed random railroad station ON trail.

Crossed the CT line and met back up with Daddy Long Legs, Tent-n-Kent & Tacoma.

Visited Kevin Bacon's town in Kent CT.

Mother Hen's hostel at Boiling Springs, PA

Finding the copy of Contact I knew Bad Ass Turtle was reading and discovering the rose from her fiance in it still. She'd left it there by accident. So I kept it for her til I found her to return it. I think this story may have appeared in her dissertation.

Shep being struck by lightning outside of Waynesboro, VA

Performing Karaoke for free beer w/Songbird, Bad Ass Turtle and Easyday in Duncannon PA. Running into and the chilling with Shep and reading Cosmo at the campgrounds there. Eating alot at the truck stop across the Juniata and Susquehanna rivers.

Listening to Gunslinger playing guitar at the shelters.

Getting a hole in my sleeping pad and patching it.

Seeing Dartman and Shep in CT right before I got off trail in Cornwall Bridge. Caught bus into NYC after having been in the woods for 3 months. Walked up bought ticket, ran through Grand Central Station and caught the bus. On bus for 23hrs. Saw the Twin Towers less than a month b/f 9/11.

In ending this, I feel I should mention that Sean and I did not make it. Not a bad thing mind you.
We broke up then got back together and broke up several times until we finally called it quits sometime in 05 I think. I talk to him about once a year and to his family about 4 times a year. No idea if he's still hiking regularly.

***Note: I realize how poorly written this is but my notes were quite incomplete. For this, I am sorry.***
Tags: 2001, gimp Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized