WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Voodoo8648

Gear Preperation

Rate this Entry
[QUOTE=bigcranky;1393487]The stove is way overkill. Nice stove, but it's really made for high altitude expeditions and the like. An alcohol stove weighs a few grams.

500 tabs is probably not enough, but you can start with 50 and buy more along the way. No reason to buy them ahead - mailing them to yourself just adds to the cost.

I'm sure the hammock is fine - though if it's 1.5 pounds just for the hammock body, a little heavy. What are you doing for a tarp system over the hammock? Check out the hammocks from Butt In A Sling.

A closed cell foam pad can work well in sub-freezing weather inside a hammock. It's usually better if it's wide enough to wrap around your shoulders.

The Lamina 0-F bag is also kinda overkill for a late March start. Almost any synthetic 0-F bag will be rather large to pack, too. I can get my down 5-F bag in my usual pack, barely, but the synthetics take up a lot more space. But if this is what you have, and it fits in your pack, you can start with it but understand that you'll want to swap for a lighter bag fairly soon (0-F is too warm by the end of April.)

Didn't you say above that money is no object? Or was that someone else on another thread? :) There's a reason why most long distance hikers carry similar gear. No reason to reinvent the wheel, just [URL="http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4"]start with this list[/URL].[/QUOTE]
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized