WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Fireweed - An Older Woman Who Hikes Solo and With Friends

24 Hours till take off/

Rate this Entry
Here in Anchorage, Alaska it's minus 12 degrees. That makes the 30 and 40 degree temps in PA & VA look pretty tropical. Tomorrow I fly from AK toward NY. I should be on the trail Saturday. I've generally hiked solo but this time I'll hike with Seldom Seen and Doc. It's possible that 4-Iron will join us if the weather where we are is better than the weather he's headed toward. Is that a "hikers only concept?"

No changes in gear. Still staying with the warmer bag (20degree). There's more dehydrated veggies in the food bag. Now I have mushrooms, onions, parsley and bell peppers to add to my ramen. Packed up one mail drop for 80 miles down the trail. Now I just need to stay sane until I get through security.

It's easier to leave when the temp is this low. Blue sky and sunshine make it beautiful, but it is cold.

Last March Doc and I ended up in nearly the same areas for almost 2 months. Funny since we didn't actually hike together more than a few days. But that's how it goes. You find your 'pace group'. The group that hikes at about the same mileage you do. They may hike fast and rest longer or hike slower and not rest at all, but you all seem to find yourselves near the same shelter or campground or hiker hotel.

My ground rules for solo hiking are

1. NEVER camp closer than 2 miles to a road or trail head.

That's about it. Since I often camp alone - I'm a light sleeper and snoring keeps me wide awake - I rarely camp at the shelters. Usually I hike a bit farther or just short of a shelter. I generally cook at the shelters and so see and talk with other folks who do use the shelters. This also means I have fewer critters to hassle with. And of course, get to hang my food bag. I use the PCT hanging method since you pretty much need an opposable (sp) thumb to get the bag down. You can google the method.

All that noise you hear at night is mostly leaves and branches falling. But I admit that it takes some getting used to. Remember, you're almost never really alone on the trail. And few bad guys are willing to hike 3 miles just to be bad guys.

Keep walking

Comments