WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Alpine Bomber

Zeroing (again?) in Hiawassee

Rate this Entry
Well, I figured out the biggest challenge of being a solo female nobo. There are too many people on the trail to relieve yourself in private. It seems the goal is to stay dehydrated so you can be sure you're really alone and there wont be a plethora of other nobos passing you as you use the woods. It's almost a game of strategy- you have to keep in mind about 40 different people's hiking speed, what time they left camp, what time you passed them, and how many unknowns could be about to pass you, and then time it exactly right. If you mess up and wait too long you might pass someone and then have to wait another safe half hour before doing your business. It's terrible.

There are definate plus sides to being a solo nobo though. The sheer number of other hikers on the trail means you never have to worry about camping alone or not finding good company. I got to split a 60 dollar cabin at neels gap with 8 other hikers for cheaper than it would have been to stay at a hostel. And, you get to do trail magic as you hike. Low Rider, a solo hiker from Estonia lost all his food in a poorly hung bear-bag incident and we managed to donate enough food to get him to Helen for a resupply. Scorpion King, a solo from the Netherlands, can't access any of his money for a few more days because his bank cut off his debit card because they thought it was being used fraudulently in the U.S. He's staying in my hotel and other hikers places until he can get the cash to buy footware that fits. Gotta love the community out here.

I'd say the best stories I've accumulated so far have been from converstations I've had hitching. I got to hear all about a writer's excursion to a nudist colony in florida where he was horrified to meet another nudist from his hometown in Hiawassee who sings in his church choir. He also inlisted my professional help in drawing up a psychological profile of his first wife who he's written a screenplay about. I won't go into details online, but lets just say he had a very strange wedding night... And this was just a 5 minute hitch.

I've been hiking a lot faster than I expected to be able to, but I'm now stuck in town nursing an injury. Apparently I have Plantar Faceitis (sp?) in my right foot. I caved and ditched my trusty teva sandals in favor of trail runners. I'm hoping to hike out Friday. So my foot is super swollen, but I get to be in town and out of the rain tomorrow for my birthday so it might be a blessing in disguise. Seems appropriate, since I'm so far into the bible belt I've been prayed for by more people than I can count. Also, in my quest to catch a hiking friend from last year who summited springer a week before me, I discovered today that I'm only a day behind her now. Win. Can't wait to catch up with my old friend. (Boomerang, I'm coming for you :-D )

For now I'm going back to relax by the fire with Neil, Andy (who's injured and getting off trail), Greenlight, and Limey- at least until moose comes back with our hotel key... This trail is amazing.

Comments

Awesome write up. Stay strong don't hike on an injury and have a happy birthday. In starting in a few weeks