WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

GoldenBear

Three-day shakedown hike

Rate this Entry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakedown_%28testing%29
states "A shakedown is a period of testing or a trial journey undergone by a ship, aircraft or other craft and its crew before being declared operational."
That pretty much describes the purpose of my three-day, two-night backpack last week. during which I tested my "take-along" list, my equipment, and (most importantly) mySELF for ability to handle backpacking in 2013. I'm happy to report that this test left me shaken, but not down.

The mileage was the typical (for me, anyway) ten miles or so a day; and thus 34 miles of Trail miles from Ashby Gap to Harpers Ferry (HF, note that there is no apostrophe). It worked out well enough for me to spend my first night here
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...rry&highlight=
then ride the HostelHiker Shuttle to Ashby, and then return. My original plan was to complete a much larger part I had not yet hiked -- Thorton Gap back to HF -- but commitments to others made this untenable. I'll just leave Thorton to Ashby for another day. The link above gives all I have to share about the HI Hostel in HF. The shuttle driver for this service was right on time, but actually had trouble finding the AT at US Highway 50!

However, by 9:30 am I was on my way north and, due to predictions of days of cool, dry weather, I felt the hike should be no problem.
For those now laughing at me -- Yes, I had read about The Roller Coaster; No, I did not anticipate how enervating it would be. It was a simple case of "jes' walking" up and down, up and down, repeat.

This early in the season, the trail was almost deserted -- I saw about ten people total, and (unlike two years ago) I was only passed twice!!
Water is presently abundant all along the trail, and the facilities I passed by are all in good shape. This includes the Sam Moore Shelter, where I slept alone the first night.
[Note that neither of these photos are mine]
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=24264
Didn't sleep well (nothing new!) particularly when the thunderstorm came through. Thankfully, I was in a shelter and the clothes I had washed that night were under the picnic pavilion roof.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7433
Despite my hopes, I "slept in" till 6 am, and took way too long to get ready to hit the trail.

Got to Bears Den Shelter by mid-afternoon of the second day, with hopes of a trash can to dump my food containers, along with litter I'd found along the way. Was QUITE disappointed to see a sign requiring that visitors had to pack out what they had packed in! I also hoped to at least look at the hiker room, but found its door had a number lock requiring a certain amount of mileage from the AT Guide -- which I didn't have. However, memory and logic allowed me to reduce the possible number combinations to a mere ten, and (amazingly!) my first guess was the right one! I won't tell the code (the caretakers may change it), but all you need is a list of mileages along the AT to unlock the door.
Inside featured couches, books, a log book, a PC with internet, and (O joy!) a trash can. As best as I could tell, any day hiker who can unlock the door can use any of these at no cost; if I'm wrong, I apologize.

FINALLY left the Roller Coaster a few miles short of the Blackburn Trail Center, where I spent my second night.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...45#post1463845
This night alone was so quiet that I literally heard my heart beat as I drifted off to sleep. Since I had gotten to sleep before 9 pm, and had organized my stuff much better, I had hopes for an early departure on day three.

Despite a good rest, I still did not awake till 6 am, but at least I got going more quickly. Problem is, it was over 14 miles to my car, and I usually lose energy after ten miles of walking. MUCH worse, the expected sunshine simply wasn't there. Fog, rain, and wind were with me the entire hike -- the first time I've ever walked though the former two*. VERY fortunately, I had a rain poncho I always carry no matter what weather is predicted. It's a cheap poncho, but it did its job. Hiking in fog ruined my views, but I never had trouble staying on the trail.

What helped QUITE a bit was the fact that this part of the AT was (relatively) quite flat and had few rocks -- terrain I can really make speed over. When I got to the border sign for Harpers Ferry National Historic Site, I felt like I was (almost literally) "out of the woods." Amazingly, it was AFTER this point that the trail became its most rocky, and going downhill to the Highway 340 Bridge was by far the slowest part of this day. Still, crossing this bridge, then turning right onto Shenandoah Street, into town, allowed me to relax a bit.

Note my info on getting from the AT up to the HI-Hostel -- it was a bit disconcerting. Fortunately, I had arrived by late afternoon, and had no trouble driving back to Upper Darby. Despite my concern that a first hike would find me out of shape and badly equipped, I did fine: not a single scrape or even an insect bite. Best of all, there was absolutely no pain in my right knee -- it would seem that a winter of watching what causes stress -- and avoiding those actions! -- had paid off. As soon as I get more days without encumbrances, and can work out logistics, I'll be hitting the Trail again.

* Those who have followed my blogs are well aware that, after hiking, I have encountered more rain that I would prefer. However, I've never walked during rain.

Comments

I'm going to be doing the same thing starting the 16th of May. Have a 7 day shake down hike planned. So looing forward to it.