WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

lordwilliam

My training for 2015, Training Day 17

Rate this Entry
Training Day 17: June 25
Well I have assembled a collection of “Old School” equipment just to experience a weighted pack. I took the loaded pack out for a test spin yesterday for about 4 miles and it worked acceptably.

Equipment includes:

1. 20+ year old EMS 4500 pack, 7.75 pounds
  2. 40+ year old Holubar synthetic mummy bag, 4 pounds
  3. 1 year old Walmart tent, 3 pounds
  4. 60 year old Coleman Peak 1 cook pot set, .75 pound
  5. 40 year old EFI (Hank Roberts) stove, .5 pound
  6. 10 year old Coleman air mattress, 3 pounds
  7. New Sawyer 2 liter water system, 1 pound
  8. Primus Butane Lantern, .75 pound
  9. Butane canisters (2), 1 pound

That is 22ish pounds, before food, water and clothing. All together the pack is about 38 pounds. The pack does have a good hip belt and ok load leveling straps.
This is a temporary equipment set up until, my ship comes in next month and I can get all new equipment. I am so excited to get out on the trail I just can’t wait for the new equipment to get started. My new equipment will cut at least 10 pounds from this load right from the start and with lighter clothing and accessories the total should be under 30 pounds total.
I will be hiking the Barr Trail on Pikes Peak this weekend. Starting point is about 7800 feet and finishes at the top of Pikes Peak 14,115. There is a camp at about 10,500 feet the 6.5 mile point. I will camp there and do day hikes to the summit and to watch the Pikes Peak Hill Climb Race on Sunday. This will be my first 14er hike in over 50 years. I'll wave from the top!
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized