WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker

Lessons Learned from Shake Down

Rate this Entry
Lessons learned: <br>Sock liners help avoid hot spots. Who ever I stole the idea from to use dress nylon socks as sock liners – THANK YOU!!<br>Overall the La Sportiva’s are working but need different insoles. <br>I need to give up my familiar, comfy cotton-blend pullovers for something with more ventilation and that will at least dry some overnight.<br>I need to stop wearing my jacket tied around my waist. It was too damp to make it usable it the evening when it got chilly.<br>Carry more ibuprofen and I can probably cut back on my first-aid kit.<br>While I don’t mind to taste of Dr. Bonner’s I think it caused me heartburn even after rinsing really well so guess I’ll carry toothpaste. <br>Alcohol stoves can take a long time to warm up.<br>Since I find it hard to eat enough to take in sufficient calories I need to carry more calorie-dense foods. <br>I really like having a bag that I can open at the foot.&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>

Some Stats:
Thursday 7.7 miles
Friday 6.2 miles
Saturday 4.2 miles
Sunday 1.6 miles
16.7 miles total with a total elevation gain of around 6800 feet

Caloric intake
Thursday 1000
Friday 1140
Saturday 980
Sunday AM 420
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Wal Mart has some in-expensive quick drying shirts. I was able to get both a short sleeve and along sleeve version for about 20 dollars. Furlough
    G'day LTH

Hope to see you on the trail next year and thanks for the comments. Start slowly finish hard and learn something new every day.

Moose
    Quote Originally Posted by Furlough
    Wal Mart has some in-expensive quick drying shirts. I was able to get both a short sleeve and along sleeve version for about 20 dollars. Furlough
    thanks Furlough, I'll definitely check the one nearest me and see what they have to offer. The heavier ones were nice in that I didn't get chilled when a breeze hit me after it got damp but unfortunately they didn't dry at all overnight. Kind of yucky putting it on in morning still completely damp.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt
    G'day LTH

Hope to see you on the trail next year and thanks for the comments. Start slowly finish hard and learn something new every day.

Moose

G'day to you Moose!

Everytime I go out I'm learning something new and gaining confidence in what I can do. I find if I run into a difficulty I can usually come on WB and find something that someone has written about it to give me ideas how to address it. While things sometimes gets blown out of proportion on here - like with the shelter etiquette thread - there is a lot of good info on here. I really appreciated you interjecting some humor into that bit. I had pretty much started ignoring it until I saw your post. Definitely made me smile

I see you are starting March 13th. I am starting out the 9th but am not looking to set any speed records so there is every possibility our paths may cross. It sounds like you have a bit more hiking experience than I so if you ever have any suggestions to offer please feel free.

Welcome to WB and the class of 2015!
    LTH - No Experience with snow though, and so that will be my first learning curve on the AT, unless we get blessed with good weather. I'm doing 2/3rds of Australian Alpine Walking Trail in Nov/Dec and I'm actually hoping that there is a bit of snow, how weird is that?

Tips - I can give you a couple, without knowing more about you, don't go too hard in the training especially if you have any lower body joint problems. Most of my actual fitness regime involves no impact work (walking, running). I save the walking for actual bushwalking and do cycling, wts, cross trainer and rowing machine for fitness. I usually bushwalk every weekend though. Everyone needs the first few weeks to get your trail legs no matter how fit you start. Shoes/boots - regardless of what others are wearing the best for you are the ones that fit the best, and good socks I use Darn Tough made in Vermont.

I actually hit Atlanta on the 9th but I'm taking a few days to get organised and maybe do a few mail drops just to cover the first few weeks while I get used to the rhythm and flow of the trail.

I hope to catch up to you on the trail and I will stay in touch.

Moose