• Make a yearly donation.

Donate and support the web site and our writers

• Have you thru hiked or section hiked the entire length of the Appalachian Trail? If you have, please add yourself to our 2,000 miler listing/database.

• Recent Threads

Thread Starter: skinnbones

Just purchased my MSR pocket rocket stove today. After $1,100.00 spent, I only lack buying a pair of trekking pants and a few minor items. This is a very

Last Post By: Hangfire Today, 02:38 Go to last post

Lighter footwear WHY?

Thread Starter: jjozgrunt

Well I was having a discussion with some members of my walking club about why I wear trail runners V their mid to full boots. So I took some weights and

Last Post By: Leo L. Today, 02:14 Go to last post

Early Start

Thread Starter: andsoshewalks

So I'm looking to start the end of february/early march. I am aware that this will result in me inevitably facing a lot of cold weather and snow, so i'm

Last Post By: andsoshewalks Today, 00:11 Go to last post

Bivies and Rain

Thread Starter: TwoRoads

I'm wondering how bivies compare with tents in the rain. I have a Double Rainbow Tarptent, which I love, but might like to try a bivy to get a smaller

Last Post By: nsherry61 Yesterday, 22:59 Go to last post

Too old? Too out of shape?

Thread Starter: skylark

I have been trying to prepare for a long distance thru-hike by doing shorter hiking trips. I did the Manistee River Loop the last three days. The problem

Last Post By: Toolumpy Yesterday, 22:34 Go to last post
    penny b

solo femail thru hiker ?

Thread Starter: penny b

I have looked in here about solo thru hikers but not find much on how safe it is for a female hiking alone. can anyone give me some insight on this ?

Last Post By: Fireplug Yesterday, 22:29 Go to last post