WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I have found digging with the classic orange trowel to be tuff in heavily rooted areas. Does anyone know of a better utensil to with which to dig a cat hole? How much does it weigh?

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Use the heel of your shoe? Find a large rock and pull in up, poop in its hole and put the rock over it.

Spread it thin with a stick?
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

I've used a hiking pole to break up really hard ground before scooping out a cathole with a plastic orange trowel. Worked for me better than kicking with the heel of a boot. Also, this is just another opinion, but I think TP should be packed out in double ziplock bags.
    "In the mountains, there you feel free." T.S. Eliot

I use a cheapo 'dollar store ' type garden trowel (thin stamped sheet metal with a plastic handle) . Cut off half of the handle and then sharpen one side with a coarse file leaving sort of a serrated edge. Works on small roots. You'll learn after a while to recognize the easier places to dig (and hope no-one has beat you to the same spot)....

Aren't we talking about ****ting in the woods? Why would you care about weight in such a personal matter...kinda amusing.

OR you can **** in your hat to save weight

dup
    "You're never too old to become what you might have been." - George Eliot

Body glide is used by runners as well so you can go into any good running outfitter and find it.
    "You're never too old to become what you might have been." - George Eliot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear
    I wasn't going to "go there" but since we "are there" I'll offer a little trick that works for me.

I usually bring some vaseline along on my treks to help with blisters and chafing.

I find that a little layer of vaseline on the critical spot (hopefully applied when you are still clean) helps to 1) keep the stuff from sticking, and 2) soothes any irratation that me be starting.

I read St. Rock's ideas, and I found his 3 pass wiping routine a bit too much.

Just my take.

Pb
    I use triple-antibiotic ointment as a multi-use item. Good for dried-out chapped lips, good for not getting an infected gash, and good for the raw crotch or butt that I seem to get at times.

Dry does seem to be the key. I found that microfiber boxer-briefs keep problems at bay much more than any other drawers that I use, including silk. They also dry very fast when I wash 'em on the trail.

Frank

Why is discussing the weight of your digging item amusing? The weight of everything you carry is important--even food and water. I dug catholes with any pointed rock I could find nearby.

Chaffing/rashes seem to be very individual in what solves them. Keep all these mentioned solutions in mind when you are out there in case the method you first choose doesn't work for you.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Answering Nature's Call at Night

Most of the replies here so far have been about solid waste and post dump hygene.

Just thought I'd throw out another point, since it relates to the original post. When you get the "urge" in the middle of the night and exit a shelter (if you're staying in a shelter, of course) to water the lillies ...watch out for the "heavy use areas", which are generally immediately behind the shelter. Suggest that you walk away from the shelter and a bit into the woods before picking your spot.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Many years ago I had a person tell me that he used carmax when he got a sore butt. I tried it and it worked great. I now carry two of them one labeled face one labeled butt. Another reason I do my best to never stay at a shelter is the smell. It is always amazing how many people take a leak at the shelter.

Ok I give up - what the heck is carmax other than a place / site to buy cars?

Images

Default One More Thing

Oh yes..one more thing. While you're digging that hole and doing your business.......watch out for the posion ivy. Failure to do so could make your next several weeks somewhat....uncomfortable.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Default Carmex

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice
    Ok I give up - what the heck is carmax other than a place / site to buy cars?
    Carmex is lip balm, like Chap stick. Usually sold in a tiny jar. Also available in a tube. Usually used for cold sores and dry chapped lips. $1.29 for 0.35 oz (10 g). Look for it at outfitters, ski shops, etc.

However, if your lips get chapped, it a sign that you are not drinking enough water, even in dry climates.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++