WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ramen Noodles Sodium Question

I noticed on the back of the Ramen Noodles packages that it says that if you want a lower sodium meal, do not use as much of the seasoning. I couldn't find anymore information beyond this. I was just curious if anyone knows exactly how much of the sodium is contained in the seasoning package. Also, if I use the entire seasoning package, but drain the noodles and don't eat any of the broth, will I still be taking in a great deal of the sodium?

90% or more of the sodium is in the packet. Honesty, even if you season them and drain, you don't need a whole packet of "seasoning" ever. You won't miss it!. It does cut down sodium by draining, but still leaves a chunk in.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

[quote=Dave568;324479]I noticed on the back of the Ramen Noodles packages that it says that if you want a lower sodium meal, do not use as much of the seasoning. I couldn't find anymore information beyond this. I was just curious if anyone knows exactly how much of the sodium is contained in the seasoning package. Also, if I use the entire seasoning package, but drain the noodles and don't eat any of the broth, will I still be taking in a great deal of the sodium?[/quote]

No!!!!!!! you won't be taking in a great deal of salt.

I opend a pack of seasoning and measured the contents. 1 1/2 teaspoons.of product. My guess is salt equals 1 1/4 teaspoons of it.

I use 1 cup of water to make Ramen noodles in a freezer bag.

heat1 cup water in the small egg poacher pot to 200 degrees or so, use 8 ml alcohol.

Break noodle mass in half before opening package. Open package, take out pack of seasoning, empty noodles into frezzer bag, add 1/2 packet of seasoning, pour 200 degree water over noodles. Zippit closed, put inside of brown paper lunch bag that has thin layer of closed air cell shipping material 1/8 inch thick on bottom. Put outside in 20 degree weather(in shade), let stay there for 10 min., bring it back in the house, put thermometer inside freezer bag of noodles should read 160 degrees, still hot enough that it still requires blowing on it to eat it. Noodles will be fully rehydrated and still tastes great with only half the seasoning packet.

Don't believe me, try it.

This is what I call "Brown baggin it" This is the ultralight of pot cozys. Folds up to fit into small places. Maybe I'll start a thread to show some photos of it.

You could make the assumption that all of the seasoning dissolves in the water. Then pour off the broth and measure it. Take that measure and divide it by the amount of water used. Subtract that proportion from one and multiply by the amount of salt listed on the back. This would be a rough guide to how much salt you have in the prepared meal.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

During high exertion your body, especially in warm weather, might need more electrolytes. The high sodium level might be quite benficial.

Also, don't forget that if you have high blood pressure, you need to balance the potassium level to the sodium level, so you might also wish to have additional potassium available in some form or other.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    During high exertion your body, especially in warm weather, might need more electrolytes. The high sodium level might be quite benficial.

Also, don't forget that if you have high blood pressure, you need to balance the potassium level to the sodium level, so you might also wish to have additional potassium available in some form or other.

Ya, but it's MSG.

Do not take any advice from people on this site for anything related to medical advice,,,, such as "how much salt is in here ,and/or how much salt you may need in your diet. (Not even me) I have metabolic syndrom, and I am very well informed about things like ,,, "salt" sugar, carbs, protein, high blood pressure, insulin levels... yada yada yada...

They have no idea what they are talking about and will give you bad info!!!

My wife Is a Doctor and she'll make your head spin when she explains how things like salt effect you... If you have salt concerns talk to a MD.... Please...

And screw anyone who is not a MD and thinks they can add there 2 cents!!
    "LOVED OR HATED, BUT NEVER IGNORED"

the seasoning packet contains the dryed ground remains of michale jacksons nose.
    matthewski

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skyhiker2 View Post
    Do not take any advice from people on this site for anything related to medical advice,,,, such as "how much salt is in here ,and/or how much salt you may need in your diet. (Not even me) I have metabolic syndrom, and I am very well informed about things like ,,, "salt" sugar, carbs, protein, high blood pressure, insulin levels... yada yada yada......
    Is it alright if I just read from the package? I suppose it varies a bit with the manufacturer. But the Maruchan brand of Ramen Noodles contains 1,560mg of sodium, according to the package, which figures out to be 66 percent of your "daily value" if you eat the whole thing and are on a 2,000-calorie a day diet.

I don't have a clue how this translates into the values needed by a backpacker, since I need considerably more than 2,000 calories to avoid losing quite a bit of weight on long distance walks.

I have heard rumors that people doing strenuous work like climbing mountains need more salt than people lazing around watching tv. But I don't really pay much attention to things like salt, except when I have run out of the stuff -- though I have found that a spoonful of sugar is a partial substitute in such emergencies.

AS a general rule I try to use just enough salt to satisfy my taste buds.

Weary

Images

the seasoning packet contains the dryed ground remains of michale jacksons nose.

Wow! And the hits keep rolling......ROFL!

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

I have a BP problem and typically use only about 1/4 of the seasoning packet. I know my MD would say even that was too much. I do however add Tabasco Sauce (about 1 tsp). That adds back about 30mg of sodium and plenty of flavor if you like hot stuff.

As for sodium, you get enough in most cases from your normal food-even when backpacking, hiking, climbing, etc. The issue that can occur is a loss of potassium more than sodium. Though drinking a lot of water and sweating can be issues to watch. Many times what you need is a large orange or banana. Or a bag of potato chips (one of the best sources of potassium!)
    I live on a very low diet of sodium (1500 mg a day usually). My Dr is an outdoorsy person (why I picked him!) and what he said to me was when I feel tired, rest, drink water slowly, cool off if in summer and have something light to eat. And it works. I carry foods that have potassium in them now. And I do pretty well these days.
    And yes, ramen packets are basically MSG and some flavor added. You can do pretty good by tossing the packet and flavoring it yourself. I use olive oil, granulated garlic, some herbs and spices and toss in some parmesan cheese. It comes out very low sodium and tasty. And isn't full of MSG.
    But then again, if you don't have BP issues? Then live life as you want
    Trail Cooking

Do not take any advice from people on this site for anything related to medical advice,,,, such as "how much salt is in here ,and/or how much salt you may need in your diet. (Not even me) I have metabolic syndrom, and I am very well informed about things like ,,, "salt" sugar, carbs, protein, high blood pressure, insulin levels... yada yada yada...

My wife Is a Doctor and she'll make your head spin when she explains how things like salt effect you... If you have salt concerns talk to a MD.... Please...

Actually, it's not the 'salt', it's the sodium, right?

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    Actually, it's not the 'salt', it's the sodium, right?

FB
    100% correct.
    Trail Cooking

I wont add my 2 cents cause I dont want you to .....me
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

That's funny. Since when are MDs dietitians or nutritionists?

screw anyone who is not a MD and thinks they can add there 2 cents!!
    Your wife may be more informed, however most MD's take a single nutrition course and even that one is BS. They know a little about drugs, mostly they just pass on what the drug reps tell them and they know how to cut, that's for sure. They can replace almost anything, but they know little about food value.

I just realized I like starting trouble...........

I take back everything I said. The seasoning packet contains the dryed ground remains of michale jacksons nose.
    "LOVED OR HATED, BUT NEVER IGNORED"

Journal Entries

Assuming it is accurate, the information on the package is pretty complete. It essentially says that if you use the full packet of flavorings and eat a whole package you will get 66 percent of the recommended daily intake of sodium for people on a 2,000 calorie diet.

What I wonder is are we allowed more sodium on a 3,500 calorie a day diet?

Weary

Registered User Chris_Asheville's Avatar
    Images

I once heard Ramen noodles are the absolute worst thing you could possibly eat. I ate them for about a week in college and got rid of the garbage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++