WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

[QUOTE keeping the canister warm just long enough to heat up a batch of water.[/QUOTE]

Now that's the real key to this whole "debate" I think. It all depends what you consider a batch of water. For 2 cups to hydrate a freeze dried meal, or some tea, soup, whatever, yes a canister can do the trick with a little technique.
    However, I like to boil up a couple of liters for hot water bottles to preheat my sleeping bag and keep me toasty into the wee hours. That gives me 2 liters treated and ready to go in the morn. Then I preheat my cold boots with them. Added to the liter for dinner and hot choc. that's about 3 liters boiled. I don't feel I could easily do that w/a canister. For some, it will seem like way more than necessary. OK, maybe, but I like to be comfortable at night, and I try to drink every bit to stay well hydrated during the day.
    Also consider that if someone suffers genuine hypothermia, I want lots of hot water bottles to warm them. Not likely, but you never know.
    I was out 2 weeks ago after the last storm, in the Catskills. It was 2 degF. I don't screw around at that temp. Just me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Nails View Post
    [QUOTE keeping the canister warm just long enough to heat up a batch of water.
    Now that's the real key to this whole "debate" I think. It all depends what you consider a batch of water. For 2 cups to hydrate a freeze dried meal, or some tea, soup, whatever, yes a canister can do the trick with a little technique.
    However, I like to boil up a couple of liters for hot water bottles to preheat my sleeping bag and keep me toasty into the wee hours. That gives me 2 liters treated and ready to go in the morn. Then I preheat my cold boots with them. Added to the liter for dinner and hot choc. that's about 3 liters boiled. I don't feel I could easily do that w/a canister. For some, it will seem like way more than necessary. OK, maybe, but I like to be comfortable at night, and I try to drink every bit to stay well hydrated during the day.
    Also consider that if someone suffers genuine hypothermia, I want lots of hot water bottles to warm them. Not likely, but you never know.
    I was out 2 weeks ago after the last storm, in the Catskills. It was 2 degF. I don't screw around at that temp. Just me.[/QUOTE]You can use a little of the water from the first boil batch to keep the warm the canister warm in a shallow pan. Sounds like you probably need a 2 liter+ pan for melting snow anyway. But if learning to use a canister stove just isn't for you then maybe you are better off with a liquid fuel stove. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Winter 35R & Catskill 3500 Club Starvin Marvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    May I butt in to ask a dumb question? What is the deal about turning the canister upside down with an MSR Wind Pro stove? I have one, though rarely use it, so maybe I don't know all I should about them.

Why turn the canister upside down? And, how would I keep it there, as it would just flop over?

Thanks in advance! I snatched this pic off the web to confirm I'm thinking of the same stove as y'all are talking about.

Rain Man

Hi Rain Man,

Please note there is a difference between the Wind Pro and the Wind Pro II. The Wind Pro II has a swivel at the valve end to allow the canister to be inverted, without twisting up the fuel line. The valve body also has indentations to accept the canister stand. Hope that helps.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Walk it off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++