WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I decided to stop hiking for the 10 days of firearms deer season here when I met a guy carrying a rifle who was so drunk he could hardly stand up. I just don't want to be in the woods with people like that around. And its only for 10 days. Its amazing to me how many hunters see movement and shoot without knowing what they are shooting at.
    If you see someone hunting drunk or while drinking, please call either DEP/DNR or the local police and report them (assuming it's practical to do so.) Most hunters, including myself have no tolerance for that kind of wrecklessness.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    it's as much the hunter who genuinely can not see an obscured individual down range. Hunters have every obligation to know what is down range.
    If you can not see something what are you shooting at? Again, this goes against every gun safety course I have ever taken. Who goes out and says, "I see something moving, but cant tell what it is, let me shoot at it and then figure it out"? If that's not a dumbass or a drunk I don't know what you call that. I make myself visible by walking on a trail that I have every right to walk on and be there. It is solely the responsibility of the gun owner to know what they are shooting at and know what is down range from what they are shooting at.

I in no way believe my stance is the right stance for everyone or am trying to change any minds - just stating my point of view and what I do and have done for years. It is of course much wiser to wear bright colors, but again, I'm not going out and spending money just because other people are in the woods and have a gun. Come down to some neighborhoods where I live and wear your bright colors and you'll have a whole new and much more real fear of guns...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DandT40 View Post
    If you can not see something what are you shooting at? Again, this goes against every gun safety course I have ever taken. Who goes out and says, "I see something moving, but cant tell what it is, let me shoot at it and then figure it out"? If that's not a dumbass or a drunk I don't know what you call that. I make myself visible by walking on a trail that I have every right to walk on and be there. It is solely the responsibility of the gun owner to know what they are shooting at and know what is down range from what they are shooting at.

I in no way believe my stance is the right stance for everyone or am trying to change any minds - just stating my point of view and what I do and have done for years. It is of course much wiser to wear bright colors, but again, I'm not going out and spending money just because other people are in the woods and have a gun. Come down to some neighborhoods where I live and wear your bright colors and you'll have a whole new and much more real fear of guns...
    The issue all to often is not that someone is shooting at an unconfirmed (which happens all to often as well, so why make it easier for them to make excuses?) target but that an individual is not readily visible beyond the intended target.

I have no patients for those that cannot follow the four rules of fire arms handling just as I have not patients for those hat cannot make themselves visible when they are within the field of fire.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I have no problem with wearing blaze orange. Teacher, Snacktime and I just rock orange.

From Teacher: Taconics, 2013-10-25/26 by ke9tv, on Flickr

Teacher in three states by ke9tv, on Flickr
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i regularly hike during hunting season on hunting grounds in multiple states. 75% of the time I see the hunter before they see me. homemade crocheted blaze orange hat, homemade blaze orange fleece vest, blaze orange gloves. bear season in PA is always the worst for some reason. i guess cause its just a few days and everyone is packed in the woods at the same time. the only day i try not to hike is opening day of long arms for deer.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I do nothing different. I don't own anything orange blazed and I don't plan on buying anything just to protect myself from some drunk hunter. As a gun owner myself I've always learned to know what you are shooting at and know whats behind what you are shooting at. If someone drunk idiot shoots at me he better 1. Be prepared for return fire. or 2. Be a damn good shot. What pisses me off - besides closed sections of trail - is hunters using blazes for target practice. There were many I passed a couple weeks ago that were nearly shot of trees. Other than that everyone should be able to share the woods and be mindful of one another and there shouldn't be any problems.
    You are correct, theoretically. Theoretically, you should be able to walk freely in the woods without blaze orange and not be in danger from hunters, drunk or otherwise. That said, I figure if I wear Blaze orange during hunting season, it will decrease the odds of that drunk hunter mistaking me for something else. Hike your own hike, though.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

-

I intentionally go to national parks for hiking during hunting season

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    If you see someone hunting drunk or while drinking, please call either DEP/DNR or the local police and report them (assuming it's practical to do so.) Most hunters, including myself have no tolerance for that kind of wrecklessness.
    Ditto..............

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Who goes out and says, "I see something moving, but cant tell what it is, let me shoot at it and then figure it out"?
    Crazy, but it does happen all the time. This man was a highly trained officer.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/01/0...took-for-deer/9

Images

I do nothing different. I don't own anything orange blazed and I don't plan on buying anything just to protect myself from some drunk hunter. As a gun owner myself I've always learned to know what you are shooting at and know whats behind what you are shooting at. If someone drunk idiot shoots at me he better 1. Be prepared for return fire. or 2. Be a damn good shot.
    Isn't that a bit like saying you won't wear your seat belt just because some other motorist might run into you? Obviously it's a matter of personal choice but it's a cheap, lightweight precaution to take that may save your life.

Journal Entries

There are no more drunk hunters, than drunk hikers, drunk drivers, or drunk anything else.
    People are people.

You are a fool if you dont wear bright colors or blaze orange during deer hunting season
    Anyone that has hunted, and stared into a distant treeline in dim light, knows that the mind tries to create order out of nothing.
    It tries to fill in the blanks, where data doesnt exist
    It basically will try to see something, where nothing exists.
    People get excited, and then bad things can happen.

you really dont want someone to have to sight YOU thru a scope on a loaded high-power rifle to realize you arent a deer.
    You are one slip of a finger away from dieing a horrible death if that is your wish.
    You wear blaze orange for the benefit of everyone

One of the best pieces of gear I have is a blaze orange pack cover. It goes on in rain (of course), during hunting season and if the road is narrow, while road walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    One of the best pieces of gear I have is a blaze orange pack cover. It goes on in rain (of course), during hunting season and if the road is narrow, while road walking.
    Road walking. I honestly never thot of that and thats a good idea.

Images

I have nothing but respect for the hunters here in Colorado, nevertheless, I do take the simple Blaze Orange precaution starting in October, through the season. My hiking parties have occasionally pissed off the hunters, simply because we're noisy and always chatting, scaring off their game. One time we came across a hunter crouched behind a tree right beside the trail... wow, the glare he gave us, kinda creepy, but really, never felt in any danger whatsoever hiking in heavily hunted territory. Again, just a simple precaution with a 3 dollar (Walmart, Dicks, etc) plastic blaze orange vest either worn or draped over my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    There are no more drunk hunters, than drunk hikers, drunk drivers, or drunk anything else.
    People are people.
    This is simply not true. Are there the same number of drunk church goers as drunk bar goers? Or same number of drunk people at a football vs a marathon? Some activities are more conducive to drinking then others.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Right. I'm not afraid of being mistaken for a deer, or shot by someone who can't pick a clear shot. I'm afraid of being out at twilight or partly hidden by brush, and getting a deer between me and a hunter. It's a hunter's responsibility to know what's downrange, but why should I make that hard for him and risky for me?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

This is simply not true. Are there the same number of drunk church goers as drunk bar goers? Or same number of drunk people at a football vs a marathon? Some activities are more conducive to drinking then others.
    I would hope that most people consider hunting and driving to be among the activities that are less conducive to drinking. "Joe .30-06-pack" is a scary idea.

I purchased a Made in USA of Made in USA fabric blaze orange pack cover from BearPawwd and have been very happy with it. Of course I paid a Made in USA price but it didn't break the bank.

http://www.bearpawwd.com/index.html

Journal Entries

It most certainly is true.

The very few people that would drink while hunting, drink while doing everything else as well. Those type of persons are drunk all the time.

Hunting is not a drinking activity.

It is sad, and pathetic, that so much of the general population drink heavily on a daily basis. If lifes that bad, change it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-07-2013 at 14:48.

Hi...

Okay...I'll call it. Not trying to make your self look like a human when hiking, etc. during hunting seasons is incredibly STUPID...!! You just don't know it yet.

As an experienced hunter, fisher, trapper and camper, I know what kinds of people are in the woods during the various hunting seasons. The majority of them do NOT shoot just at sound or movement. Unfortunately, there are some that do. These are the ones who may recognize you as a person, rather than game...IF you are visible. And by being visible I mean by wearing blaze orange when afield during hunting season.

People who WON'T wear blaze orenge during those hunting seasons (including small game) I rank with the people who drown every year because they refuse to wear a life jacket when afloat.

Whe you're DEAD...I doubt that you will feel very much. Believe me...your FAMILY certainly will...!! That being said...the choice is indeed YOURS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++