WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Opinions on these backpacks?

Starting to try to lighten my gear a little. Just wondering if I anyone has used either of these, as the prices are very good and they seem pretty light. Asolo 55, and Jansport Katahdin 50

http://www.amazon.com/Asolo-Equipmen...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___89795

if it makes any difference, I will be using the pack for mostly 3 day, 2 night trips, and maybe an occasional 5 day, 4 night trip.
    Last edited by Namtrag; 12-08-2013 at 15:43.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

I like the Asolo out of those two choices. It looks like it would ride better. Also the REI flash line is worth a look though I can't find the 52L in mens right now. They are on discount for an even better price and come backed by REI http://www.rei.com/product/844660/rei-flash-45-pack

The 45 might be enough for you once you go through and lighten the rest of your kit (assuming that is what you are doing)

Images

I know nothing about either one of these packs, but just from looking at the pictures in the links, I don't like how tall the jansport pack is

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy Morocco View Post
    I like the Asolo out of those two choices. It looks like it would ride better. Also the REI flash line is worth a look though I can't find the 52L in mens right now. They are on discount for an even better price and come backed by REI http://www.rei.com/product/844660/rei-flash-45-pack

The 45 might be enough for you once you go through and lighten the rest of your kit (assuming that is what you are doing)
    Thanks, Zippy. What a great price! $63.

Not sure if I can tighten down to a 45, but am thinking it is doable if I go through with buying a Enlightened Equipment 20 degree down quilt to replace my Big Agnes Deer Park. I believe the EE will really compress down.

I backpack with my wife, and I usually carry the following: BA Jack Rabbit tent (she carries the poles), sleeping bag, inflatable pad, jet boil, all of our food, and my clothes. I am guessing the tent can be compression sacked as well if need be.

i am curious and cannot tell if the Flash has straps so that you can lash things to the bottom....I need a place for my Alite Monarch chair! Lol
    Last edited by Namtrag; 12-08-2013 at 17:36.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I know nothing about either one of these packs, but just from looking at the pictures in the links, I don't like how tall the jansport pack is
    It is definitely a taller and narrower pack than the Asolo

Images

I am going to pull the trigger on the REI Flash 45. The only criticism I have seen of it more than once in the reviews is that the mesh pocket on the front is continuous and not stretchy, so it's difficult to put water bottles in on either side and not have them fall over. But in any case, a 2 lb pack for $63 is too good to pass up, and I can always take it back if I am not happy. The other nice thing about REI is that I am not sure which size to get...my torso measures around 19-19.5" and that is where the M and L overlap. I can order one size, and trade it for the other if needed.

Images

The Flash ended up being too small. I need to downsize the size of my sleeping system if I ever want to use a pack this small. My BA Deer Park in a compression sack took up a big chunk of the space, and my Trail Master Scout pad is big, even when rolled up. Maybe when I switch to a quilt things will work. Also looked kind of funny having it all stuffed in and then trying to figure out where and how to strap my BA jack Rabbit 2 to the outside.

Can you locate either of them outside the pack?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Can you locate either of them outside the pack?
    Not too many attachment points that I can find. My wife has an Osprey Kite 42 and it seems a lot bigger. The Flash seems to be taller, but narrower, so things fit in it quite differently than in hers. Mine is actually 50L since it is the large torso version of the flash 45

If it doesn't fit, its not worth ..... Seriously, only a careful fitting can tell you what will work. Get thee to an outfitter.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

have you looked at the granite gear packs? also, when you find one that fits - any brand, you can always look on ebay

Garlic
    Images

This one's on sale right now. I just got a new pack and belt for about $80 shipped. I've been using Gossamer Gear packs for seven seasons now. They're mainly meant for UL hiking.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Not bad, but for close to the same price you might shave off another pound and still be as comfortable, or more so.
    I have the Jam2 and love it, but I started with a 5 pound $200 piece of crap. I would try a ULA pack if in the market.
    You could do much worse, but a good pack lasts a long time and will get used more, so shop around and try them on.

I would also try a Gravity Gear if they had one some place I could try one. I know for sure I would want something in the same weight and size range as my Jam2. 16-20 oz and 3000 to 3600 ci. It would come down to fit, features, and being in the right place at the right time. I paid $100 for my Jam2 and I think that is about the right price for the right pack. You can save $20 with the right sale, but it's a 10 year purchase so it's more critical to look for sales when buying footwear.

Tried the Asolo and didn't like it. I couldn't get weight to transfer to my hips properly and was carrying too much on my shoulders. Just couldn't get it to fit right.

I guess that's what it's all about. Fit fit fit. I would go for fit before reducing pack weight much below 3 lb.

I wear an Osprey Exos now and I've seen them recently below $150. Like Feral Bill said, "Get thee to an outfitter" (and then shop online if needed)

I agree with trying them. Trouble is my 5 pound pack felt absolutely wonderful in the store. As with shoes and boots, don't go too much by how stuff feels in a store, especially with a good salesperson hovering over you. Once you start walking, every pound makes a difference. I would go up to 2 pounds with a really comfortable pack with the right materials and features in all the right places, but it would take some convincing. With footwear it is even more frustrating because as soon as you wear a pair enough to know you want to buy a few more of the same, they have already changed the model. I am size 12 and my ideal running shoe, trail runner, hiker would be in the 4oz to 12oz range, depending on the season. I will go as high as a pound of leather if really comfortable and long lasting. I had a pair of soft leather ankle boots and finally just wore them out after resoling them twice. They were 16oz each, a little lighter when I resoled them as more of a moccassin.

If I could afford them, or could make them myself, I would love something like these...
    http://www.quoddy.com/tracker-boot/

Favourite running shoes of all time was the Addidas Addizero when they first came out. The green ones. Totally non water absorbing and superlight like 4oz or so. Loved them in winter walking on snow with wool socks. Still wearing my second pair, but man are they beat. lol

The line quickly went downhill and are not at all the same as when they first came out. Nice thing about backpacks is they do not change as often, and there is now a great variety of lightweight options. Still, like footwear, the vast majority are overpriced and overweight, and not comfortable or functional, even in the best stores. I know it is hard to make a living selling the right stuff, because you can make a lot more money selling crap over and over and over again than the right stuff once. Needless to say I am not a rich man. lol

I have always had a short torso, making packs nearly impossible to fit correctly. However, I did run across a cottage maker that does a great job, and can even do some minor mods if necessary. The name is Elemental Horizons and Matthew did a fantastic job on my pack- it's the best fitting and most comfortable pack I own. At 42 ltr, (Small), it's plenty big enough to carry all of my gear and even a few extras if I so desire. And, it comes in several colors- mine is purple!! It also comes with interchangeable belt sizes and the prices are on par with any of the major companies.

++ New Posts ++