WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Light weight vs. Compactor pack liners

Has anyone used one of the light weight (z-packs dry bag for instance) pack
    liner. I have been thinking on getting something that should last longer on a
    thru hike. Might help not having to change out the liner very much.

Levibarry

Images

I don't think cuben fiber is the way to go for longevity, at least not for something used like a stuff sack.

Garlic
    Images

I wouldn't consider it. Durability hasn't been an issue for me. I have not had to change out my compactor bag liner on any of several thru hikes. Once or twice I've had to make a duct tape patch, and that's worked fine.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I have a zpacks cuben liner and have had no problems with it after using it about 30 days this year. I would have gone with a compactor bag but couldn't find any unscented bags anywhere.

I use a contractor's grade trash bag that I cut down to be just a little taller than my backpack. I load all my stuff and roll the top over, tucking it into the backpack. I have yet to have any water leak into my stuff. I should note, I also use a dry bag stuff sack for my down sleeping bag and sleeping clothes. I don't think much more is important to keep dry than those items. I use cuben fiber bags for my water filter, junk drawer (med kit, head lamp, toilet paper, medicine, etc) and as my food bag (only because I heard mice don't like to chew through it, although it may be a myth, who knows). If you really want to save weight, throw out the paracord which gets soaked with water and get some dyneema from Z-Packs for your bear line. I think that literally saved me three ounces dry.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Images

Can someone let me in on why you would need a liner if you have a rain cover for your pack? Is it just in case of a flooding rain? We have a couple of guys we do weekend trips with who use garbage bags to line their packs, and it seems strange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Can someone let me in on why you would need a liner if you have a rain cover for your pack? Is it just in case of a flooding rain? We have a couple of guys we do weekend trips with who use garbage bags to line their packs, and it seems strange to me.
    A pack cover only keeps a pack mostly-dry. I put my down bag (loose, not in a stuff sack) and dry camp clothes in the compactor bag. The rest of the stuff in my pack (tent, pad, food bag) gets stuffed in around it. I don't trust the pack cover alone to keep my down items dry. Defense in depth! It works well, especially in heavy continuous rain. My pack cover is blaze orange so I have it on during hunting season even when it's not raining. It also serves as a nice dry/non-snowy place to set my pack down while I get the tent set up. (And it hides all the miscellaneous junk I might I have in that mesh compartment!)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    A pack cover only keeps a pack mostly-dry. I put my down bag (loose, not in a stuff sack) and dry camp clothes in the compactor bag. The rest of the stuff in my pack (tent, pad, food bag) gets stuffed in around it. I don't trust the pack cover alone to keep my down items dry. Defense in depth! It works well, especially in heavy continuous rain. My pack cover is blaze orange so I have it on during hunting season even when it's not raining. It also serves as a nice dry/non-snowy place to set my pack down while I get the tent set up. (And it hides all the miscellaneous junk I might I have in that mesh compartment!)
    Thanks, sounds like something to start doing myself too! Especially if I know the weather will be foul on my trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    A pack cover may help things stay 'less wet.' On a hike in cold & wet conditions, it is imperative that extra clothing & sleeping bags stay dry. I do the 'overkill' approach - pack cover (sylnylon), trash compactor pack liner, & waterproof sylnylon bags for my sleeping bag & clothing. It all stayed dry on my AT thru-hike this year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    A pack cover may help things stay 'less wet.' On a hike in cold & wet conditions, it is imperative that extra clothing & sleeping bags stay dry. I do the 'overkill' approach - pack cover (sylnylon), trash compactor pack liner, & waterproof sylnylon bags for my sleeping bag & clothing. It all stayed dry on my AT thru-hike this year.
    This is my exact M.O. and result. the pack cover is only the first line of defense. I found that one trash-compactor bag lasts about 6 weeks before the small tears get too annoying to repair. I put new ones in my mail-drops to "refresh".

I use a sil nylon pack cover when raining and my clothes, tent, sleeping bag, and neo-air pad are put in a pump sack which lines my bag. It has three uses: it pumps, converts pad to seat, and is a liner.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...p-sack/product
    Todd

Images

My poncho is my pack cover. My pack will still get wet, but less so. It's part of a layered system. Umbrella, poncho, pack, pack liner, plus one big stuff sack for clothes and quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    The compactor bag as a liner is also great if the bottom of your pack inadvertently comes in contact with flowing water, such as a slip during a water crossing or a roll down a hill.

Images

Thanks everyone for the reply's and ideas. I will just
    get a box of trash compactor bags and go that route.
    HYOH

Levibarry

I have used both compactor bags and the Z-Packs CF liner in my ULA Catalyst. I prefer the Z-packs CF liner. Velcro closure, roll-top and clips all work to keep a tidy package. It also seems to fit my pack better. I also have the Blast rool-top food bag. I like both these items to a degree that a purchased a second set for my oldest son/ hiking partner.

Then again- $40 vs $0.40. Dependng on your needs, there are many, many that those extra dollars might be better spent.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I have used both compactor bags and the Z-Packs CF liner in my ULA Catalyst. I prefer the Z-packs CF liner. Velcro closure, roll-top and clips all work to keep a tidy package. It also seems to fit my pack better. I also have the Blast rool-top food bag. I like both these items to a degree that a purchased a second set for my oldest son/ hiking partner.

Then again- $40 vs $0.40. Dependng on your needs, there are many, many that those extra dollars might be better spent.

Good Luck
    My exact thoughts.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I use three Sea to Summit UL dry bags instead of a pack liner and pack cover. 1 for my sleeping bag, 1 for clothes and 1 for food. Never had my stuff get wet.
    Think about it, you're probably already putting these items in stuff sacks, why not use UL dry bags instead.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I wouldn't consider it. Durability hasn't been an issue for me. I have not had to change out my compactor bag liner on any of several thru hikes. Once or twice I've had to make a duct tape patch, and that's worked fine.
    Agree with Garlic.

Would add that anyone who has taken an inadvertent swim during a stream crossing will quickly understand the value of a pack liner vs. cover. I have had two swims and in both cases all of my gear in the pack stayed dry.

Garlic
    Images

Yeah, I've had to intentionally float my pack in deep water before. I wouldn't want to submerge it for more than a few seconds, but the compactor bag has worked fine in deep water.

Since my pack is silnylon and dries quickly, I don't bother with a pack cover anymore. I have utmost confidence in the plastic liner by itself, as long as it's closed fairly well. I also check for leaks before possible immersion, and even before a wet day. I usually pack the silnylon tarp on top of the rolled up seam and tuck in the edges, just in case.

Images

what keeps the compactor bag sealed so water doesn't go through the open end? Seems like even if you rolled it down or used a twist tie of some sort, it would still allow water in if it floated for a while in a creek.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++