WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Completely new Hiker here!

Hello all! I'm completely new at this and looking for the best place to start. Is there a thread(s) I should read first to get started? I don't want to ask redundant questions but I have so many! I've been hiking, if you could call it that, but never on long hikes. There are so many choices out there for everything that it is almost overwhelming. Any helpful starting hints or where to look is greatly appreciated.

Also my husband, ex-Army man, is wanting me to get an Alice pack for my backpack. Has anyone, civilian wise, used these and what's your take on them?

Thanks!
    Kase

Images

Alice is for humping not hiking! Way too heavy. Get your pack last. Welcome, check out the article section for best info. for new hikers.

Images

ALICE (pack) is designed to carry military gear. Civilian packs are designed to carry civilian gear. There are a lot of former (and even active) military folks here who are avid hikers. Virtually NONE would recommend ALICE for hiking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    ALICE (pack) is designed to carry military gear. Civilian packs are designed to carry civilian gear. There are a lot of former (and even active) military folks here who are avid hikers. Virtually NONE would recommend ALICE for hiking.
    I would add that if he is suggesting an ALICE as the pack, his other gear suggestions such as for sleeping bag, shelter, etc. may also not be the best (and definitely very heavy) for civilian hiking.

Get all your gear before the pack. Camp with it using whatever pack he may already have. Stay close to the car and get comfortable with your gear. Then once you have the details ironed out go get a pack you are comfortable with that your gear will fit in.

Section Hiker

Welcome! You're in a good place and lots of people here have lots of good info, but you have to take your time, don't rush, read patiently and make smart decisions. Don't, and you may waste a lot of time and money only to find out you got all the wrong stuff, have a horrible experience on your first trip or two, and end up hating backpacking. I also agree you should not be using military gear. If you have a backpacking/camping outfitter nearby, go check it out and window shop but don't buy until you've done your research. Also, you don't need a lot of gear to have a good time--that just makes your pack heavy. You could start with some of the articles, or just perusing the posts each day. Happy hiking!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Thanks! I tended to think that the ALICE pack was a bit bulky but, like I said I'm completely new. I'll check out the article section. I appreciate the help.

What we are planning on doing are day hikes that will turn into overnights at first. We live very close to a section of the Pinhoti and thought that would be a good place to start. That way I can run back to civilization those first few times if needed. I'm very excited but tend to jump to quickly into things.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze! Don't neglect to practice with your gear at home. Sleep out in your back yard or porch, cook meals outside with your kitchen gear, take a long walk around the neighborhood in your clothing to test and tweak your backpacking choices. Places like Target and Wally World, or your local thrift shop or Goodwill are great places to find inexpensive and perfectly serviceable clothes and other gear.

I wished I would have watched more pre/post hike-thru Youtube videos and read more journals before I started purchasing gear. I would have saved time and money on returns. Like others have suggested purchase your pack last and with your gear and clothing, get your torso measured and try different backpacks walk around with it fully loaded. It makes for a fun day at the outfitters
    Popular packs, IMO are ULA, Osprey and Zpaks, but popular means nothing if it doesn't feel good.
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

I used the ALICE for years as a civilian pack in the early 1980's and it's makes a great pack without the frame if you decide to use it for dayhiking. I routinely used it for many backpacking trips and found it to be comfortable without the frame.

Then again, I'd use what you already have---if not and you're going to go out to purchase something I'd probably get something different than an ALICE. But I would not hesitate to recommend the ALICE as a daypack. It has great shoulder straps.

BTW, if you decide to do more than dayhiking, you will find the backpack to be the most difficult item to get---because it's worn every day with weight and how it fits won't be known until several days on a trail after the purchase.

Images

Also look in the forums for gear suggestions. Also as Sandy PA has
    suggested get the pack last. Many ways to do things but only one
    way counts, that is your way as we all have learned.

Levibarry

Basically, get out and hike and you'll figure out what YOU need, and what works best for YOU. You can day hike on just a few basic supplies.

I started hiking in jeans and sneakers. When I progressed to rougher terrain, I bought hiking poles and boots...did the research, asked the questions, got what was best for ME. When I started hiking in rougher weather, I bought better clothes. And it goes on and on and I've only regretted one piece of equipment, my pump style water filter.

Great link! Thanks!

Default Completely new Hiker here!

Welcome to WB. Notice there is always gear for sale here. You will tweak and tweak till you are all twerked out with your gear. It is an exciting time to buy gear but take your time and do your research. You will be carrying everything you bring.

There are some good books. The Complete Walker IV is a bit dated but comprehensive and a good read. There are others, see your public library or a good book store. They will help to better frame your questions on specifics. Also, get out and hike with whatever you have, then start upgrading as needed. Oh yes, welcome!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Kase View Post
    What we are planning on doing are day hikes that will turn into overnights at first. We live very close to a section of the Pinhoti and thought that would be a good place to start. That way I can run back to civilization those first few times if needed. I'm very excited but tend to jump to quickly into things.
    I understand what you mean about jumping in to quickly, but in this case don't get to hung up on the gear, most anything will work though there are better choices...be safe, but just get out and hike, the rest will fall into place.

great luck to you, keep asking questions

and welcome to

now go forth and be merry

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    don't get to hung up on the gear, most anything will work though there are better choices...be safe, but just get out and hike, the rest will fall into place.
    That's right. Just get started camping and hiking whenever. Start when the weather is warm and nice first. As you get confidence you will be able to handle the bad weather.

Thanks for all the welcomes and tips! I really appreciate it. Now to get to reading and researching more. Oh, and hiking!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++