WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I don't believe I do, but there are at -least- two Caleb Johnson's in Roanoke. The other one is a couple of years younger than me as I recall.
    Okay cool.. :>) There are 2 Karen Dillard's in Roanoke as well... that's my "real" name.

Nice to see another WBer from Roanoke!

Other than money I don't see the reason you would not go with the arch blast....1# pack that will carry 25# all day everyday....I love mine

The Blast is a bit too close to the Exos I've already got in weight, and is significantly more volume than I'm looking for. The Exos is 34L and the previous pack I used was a 40. The only time I'd go any bigger than those is in the middle of winter when using a heavier pad and sleeping bag. For the AT I'm looking at around 2000 cubic inches in the main pack. With the bottles and snacks carried up front on the harness, that's more than enough volume.

The Blast is a bit too close to the Exos I've already got in weight, and is significantly more volume than I'm looking for. The Exos is 34L and the previous pack I used was a 40. The only time I'd go any bigger than those is in the middle of winter when using a heavier pad and sleeping bag. For the AT I'm looking at around 2000 cubic inches in the main pack. With the bottles and snacks carried up front on the harness, that's more than enough volume.
    Ordered a Zero a couple of weeks ago and it shipped today. Looking forward to loading it up and seeing how it handles my gear.

I've got basically everything prepped for the Benton Mackaye trip in a couple of weeks. Looks like I'll hit about 19lb's with a full load of food and water, but should generally stay in the 10-14 range. From the little bit of testing I've managed so far I wouldn't want to carry any more than 19, but it's tolerable at that level. For most trips I'll be able to stay much lower than that, but with the high mileage planned my food weight is half the total load. If I'm not going hungry and the weight is a problem, I won't load up with as much at the first mail drop.
    20140407_200307.jpg

Congrats on getting the pack you wanted.

I'm just curious, but if you're in a bivy, and it rains - what do you do with your pack?

Lots of options. First thing I'll point out though is there isn't much at all in my pack that I care about getting wet other than the sleeping bag. A few clothing items, cell phone, etc. Very small stuff that can go in the bivy. That aside, the pack itself is largely waterproof and a trash compactor liner will complete the job of keeping the contents bone dry. How do you keep your pack dry when you're hiking in the rain? It's no different at night.

Lots of options. First thing I'll point out though is there isn't much at all in my pack that I care about getting wet other than the sleeping bag. A few clothing items, cell phone, etc. Very small stuff that can go in the bivy. That aside, the pack itself is largely waterproof and a trash compactor liner will complete the job of keeping the contents bone dry. How do you keep your pack dry when you're hiking in the rain? It's no different at night.
    I use a hammock with tarp. I just put the pack below me on the ground. I'm ocd though so even if the stuff in the pack being wet wasnt a problem. Wet straps on my shoulders would drive me nuts Lol. I guess i could use some sort of Cuban pack cover if I tried a bivy. =)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Or just slip the compactor liner over the outside of the pack instead of the inside...

Winter 35R & Catskill 3500 Club Starvin Marvin's Avatar

Hi Caleb,

nice pack. I too am using an Exos, and looking to go lighter. Perhaps you could help me understand your reasoning for choosing this pack for the BM trail you have planned.

Seeing how the Exos is 18 ozs more, wouldn't it be more comfortable to carry 20 lbs in the Exos, then 19 lbs in the Zero? I've never tried a Zero, so I wouldnt know.

Also, which pack do you find has more main compartment volume?

Thanks
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Walk it off.

Main compartment volume is similar, probably a little more in the Zero than the Exos. I burned a good chunk of that by using a closed cell pad for structure though. If I switched to an inflatable pad like a Klymit X-frame, I'd have plenty of room even in the small Zero.

As to how the weight carries, I'm not sure yet. To a great extent I chose the pack because I wanted to try something different, and my wife admitting that she liked how the Exos carried on her gave me an excuse to pass it on and pick up the Zero. 19 is basically the maximum I'll -ever- carry with the Zero. It's roughly a 6 pound base weight plus 2.5 pounds of water and 10 pounds of food when I'm walking away from a mail drop. Most trips I'd be more likely to start at 12-13 pounds stepping onto the trailhead.

Images

Resurrecting this thread as I'm looking at this pack too.

Does the OP have a review or comments on the pack given it's been a year since he purchased and last commented on it ??
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I have only been able to use the pack on the BMT last year (finished about 160 miles of it). It worked great at that weight and I had no complaints whatsoever. The only trip I've been able to get out for since then was a winter run out to the Mt Rogers area, and I used my Exos for that since it let me toss a few things on the outside and I wasn't trying to go ultralight.

The Zero held up great for the week. No obvious wear afterwards. For what it's worth, if you're ever up in the Roanoke area you're welcome to take a look at it.

Images

Thanks for the quick feedback. Any idea on what your max weight was that your carried on the BMT and how did the pack perform with that weight ?

Did you get the 1.43 or 2.92 oz fabric ?
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I got the 2.92 ounce hybrid fabric. As to weight, I seriously doubt it ever went over 20 pounds. At that level, the pack was very comfortable. Any more and I'm sure that would change quickly.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I'm waiting on cuben fiber food.
    as in dehydrated croquettes and pastalitos!

I'm getting ready for my Colorado Thru-hike next month. The pack I'm planning on using is the Sea-Summit Ultra-Sil Travel Day Pack. It 2.4 oz. I've only used it for about 100 miles or so with no problem.

I already have all the gear plus inside plus 5 days of food. Just walking around the local parks, I don't even notice I have a pack on.

You may have to trim down your gear list but it is one place you can start.

Wolf

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...o2=0&o3=427-41
    Last edited by Wolf - 23000; 06-26-2015 at 20:08. Reason: Added website

Journal Entries

Ive used an S2S ultrasil pack on several side hikes with up to about 8 lb in it. No issues.

Someone on bpl once added a framesheet, and foam to the straps of one.

In areas with plentiful water, i could make one work for maybe 3 days I think.

There is another brand pack that appears to be the exact same thing, that is only $10. May be a cheap clone, may be the same mfg.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-27-2015 at 21:34.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++