WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Wolf, what's your gear list for 5 days in the S2S pack? I've got one and love it, but don't think I could pull that off.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Wolf, what's your gear list for 5 days in the S2S pack? I've got one and love it, but don't think I could pull that off.
    Most people gear list are going to stay the same for 5 days. I don't know to many people who change out their gear ever day. The only thing that will change is food, water, fuel.

If you are happy with what you are carrying go with it. You know better than myself what you need and what you don't.

I also would discourage anyone from posting their gear list on-line. People have gotten their packs, tents, tarps stolen. I know people do it but really it only makes you more of a target. It has never helped me once and I've been on WhiteBlaze for a while. Am I really going to spend a couple $$$ on gear, just because someone else like it? No. So why do it?

For myself, right now when I head out to Colorado next month, I'm looking at a base weight of between 1 - 2 pounds. It will be somewhere in between depending on the amount of toys and extra clothing I bring. It is the Rockies after all.

Just hiking around the parks, I don't even notice I have a back on. With food, water, fuel, I'm looking at it being about 5% of my body weight. Less after I eat some of the food inside. It is what hikers do!

Wolf
    Last edited by Wolf - 23000; 06-28-2015 at 16:30.

I know you don't want to, but would love to see what a 2lb gear list looks like.

Anyone thought of the gossamer gear murmur instead?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brianb2 View Post
    I know you don't want to, but would love to see what a 2lb gear list looks like.
    Im betting you can figure out it doesnt consist of much.☺

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Im betting you can figure out it doesnt consist of much.☺
    I would love to know just the general list of gear taken. Needn't be specific. Not because I want to emulate you, Wolf - 2300, but because I am so curious. But I get it.

Journal Entries

Well, we know his pack is 2.4 oz.
    Id guess he has a quilt, and a tarp, and a water bottle. Those probably total around 20- 24 oz. Throw in a $1 plastic poncho, minimal ccf torso pad, polycro groundsheet, and thats all you need really. Also not much room for anything else.

Am i close???

I believe we are getting off topic. Calebj asked the question about the ZPack Zero. I only suggest the S2S pack as a lighter alternative. I’ve used it a couple times for backpacking and it works great. That why I selected it for my up coming hike.

The gear has to match the hiker who is using the gear and their style of backpacking. The Zpack Zero pack seems to be a good pack and if Calebj is happy with it, that is real all that matters.

I’m also heading out on a different trail, The Colorado Trail. It only makes sense that I’m going to carry different equipment than Calebj who is planning on doing the Benton Mackaye Trail. If I was going to do the Mackaye, then I might carry different gear. If I was hiking with someone, then I most likely would carry more. It all a matter what the hiker wants from their hike.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

After looking at your gear list I noticed what I do on a lot of light wt/UL gear lists - the wt of your trail food. At 2.5 lbs per day it easily is the heaviest thing in your pack on a multi day hike, disregarding a heavy water haul. It's significant! Too many times those who desire to lose some kit wt will throw money at the issue buying new gear when with a little knowledge could do the same. In some cases, and in your situation, it seems the biggest way to lose wt is in your consumables, your trail food wt. With a little more knowledge, perhaps a little time, it's likely possible for you to get that daily trail food wt into the 1.5-2 lb range. SMARTLY, seek ways in which to do this SMARTLY! Do that first and then pursue the latest greatest lightest wt gear.
    dogwood...wow. That actually sparked an epiphany moment in me. Food weight IS my heaviest item in my pack. Lightening up my food weight by even 10% would make a bigger difference than shaving ounces off other things. I need to look at food strategy more if I'm serious about weight.
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cobble View Post
    dogwood...wow. That actually sparked an epiphany moment in me. Food weight IS my heaviest item in my pack. Lightening up my food weight by even 10% would make a bigger difference than shaving ounces off other things. I need to look at food strategy more if I'm serious about weight.
    Sort of.

When it comes down to it, you have to eat. After a few weeks on the trail, you wont even care what your food weighs. You will load up with things that appeal to your current appetite cravings.

Having your gear weight low, allows for leeway in food and water planning. No agonizing over 1L or 2L for a stretch. Or "what if" it takes you 4 days to next town instead of 3.

On the JMT, while many were getting resupplied in the 110 mile stretch from MTR to Whitney Portal, or running low on food, I breezed in with 3 days food left. The extra 5 lbs simply wasnt a big deal due to low gear weight. Poor planning on my part, yes. But I didnt know what to expect, so planned conservatively. But, simply not a problem if you are still at a manageable weight (unless you are trying for FKT or such

That is the underlying issue to me. All too often, we really dont know what to expect from the trail ahead, how much water we need to carry, or what pace we will be able to maintain. So some slop in food and water is necessary for the first time on a trail . If I went back and hiked some trails again, I would carry half the food and water I did the first time.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-18-2015 at 15:10.

Clearly you need food, but building a menu more around a calorie per ounce with weight being considered. I sorta do that but not as attentively as I have attacked excess gear weight.
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++