WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Thru hiker needing guidance

Hey all,

Lighthouse here, and I completed my thru hike in late September this year. It was the absolute time of my life, and it was seriously the best thing decision I ever made. I am off the trail now, and I am struggling hard to figure out what path I should take with life.

I was an electrical engineer before I left the trail, and I was working my butt off. I was working 60-70+ hours a week in a warehouse programming robotic forktruck vehicles. It was pretty cool I guess, but working that much just sucks. I knew I needed a change, and after my sister passed away from cancer in September 2012, I knew that I was going to stop everything and hike the trail this year.

It was a blast. Every day out there was amazing. I loved being out there. Even the crappy days weren't so crappy in my eyes. I would say that when I was working, I had at least 2 crappy days a week! I had no prior hiking experience before this, but it sounded just so cool. I was so right in my decision, if anyone else is in my shoes, do it!!

Well the trail is over, and readjusting back to society has been hard. I didn't think it would be this tough. Honestly, hiking the trail was easy in my eyes, but figuring out what to do next has been a super challenge. I am working in a warehouse part time now just to keep myself active and earn some money while I look for a "professional" job again. The job I do pretty much sucks...I am just finding stuff, and putting it in boxes, and shipping it out. It can get real busy at night, we have to finish whatever gets ordered that day, so that gets 'stressful' when you have a lot of orders that you have to complete at the end of the night. I don't know how I can complain because I only work 30 hours a week, but I still do. I am fortunate enough to live back in my parents house, so I am not paying for rent at the moment.

I have spent a lot of time trying to find another electrical engineering job, but I just have no clue if that is the right path for me to take. I would say I am the "worst" electrical engineer, I don't spend any of my free time tinkering with electronics or building robotics like most other engineers do. I usually just play guitar. That is my big passion. Although guitar is my passion, I don't think there is any way I could make a career out of it. Should I even go down the route of getting another electrical engineering job? After the trail, I even feel more of a disconnect from technology. Am I just feeding into the machine of overexposure to technology by getting an electrical engineering job?

I have been searching a lot for engineering jobs, and it is getting me down that I haven't heard back from many of the companies. I have had one promising interview, but the job entails sitting at a computer coding for the entire day. I have my doubts that I can get used to that all day! My parents (especially my mom) are telling me that vacation time is over, and it is time to grow up and get a job. I never like to disappoint them, so I am trying to do that. I have only had one electrical engineering job, and if I don't get another one now, I think all of the programs and skills I learned in college will be obsolete, so that is motivation to get another engineering job right off the bat. But I have this fear that I will get another "professional" job and life will just be..."meh"...every day, and it is tough to imagine living like that again for the rest of my life. I am not sure if I should go for an engineering position, or try a sales position, or do something completely different. I do feel like we are overworked as a country, but how do I get around that? Sure, if the work is satisfying, then it shouldn't be a problem, but I am having trouble picturing what would be a good job that I can work.

I am fortunate enough to not have any student debt from college, and I have never been a very materialistic person. The trail also cemented that, I was totally fine with just having my gear, guitar, and good company. So, should I ditch a high paying engineering job to try and focus on something that pays less, but is more satisfying? I think America is overworked and we hardly have enough time for anything, so we resort to quick and easy meals that are destroying our bodies. Should I be looking at getting a job that provides healthy food, or that promotes exercising in some sort of way?

I am just so lost...I didn't think it would be this tough! I am almost looking forward to going to bed every night, just so I can get away and dream. I am having lots of dreams about mountains, which is strange. I know you all at whiteblaze are a great community, and you guys helped me out immensely for planning out my AT thru hike. Now, can any thru hikers give me some advice on what to do now with my life? Am I just worrying about everything too much? Do I just need to get another "professional" job and hope that it won't be so bad?

Thanks a million,

Lighthouse

Be patient and try not to think so much. Life comes at you fast enough, no need to edge it along. In the end you will be assimilated into the collective. Resistance is futile. I did notice that many people "find themselves" on the Appalachian Trail. Every once in a while, someone will become, "lost on the Appalachian Trail". In the meantime I hear that the Marines are looking for a few good men.

Asking for help in a public forum means you will get lots of conflicting advice that probably won't help very much!

I'm with your mom on this - get a job and grow up. After a year or two, relocate close to the trail (or any community with lots of outdoor recreational opportunities). A particular job doesn't have to be forever. Work your way up to better jobs that give you more vacation/free time.

And your attitude about work will show in job interviews. If you go in there thinking that you really want to hike and play guitar for the rest of your life, you probably won't get the job.

You might consider getting a temporary job that requires some physical exertion for a while. Amazing how hard work can help bring some things into perspective. It probably would improve your standing with your parents at the same time. Meanwhile, you can still look for and interview for the "right" job. Best of luck to you!! Seatbelt

I hope Malto chimes in. He seems to have found a nice balance of professional life and play.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I might suggest that you take some time to create a Vision for your life. This is a process-take off the constraints and see what type of life you would love to have. Will it be reakistic, who knows, but if you do not have a vision, it is very hard to get up every day and know what the next right action is. This has worked for me, I am now writing thebook of a lifetime.

Consider taking on another adventure. Like the trail, Antarctica has its own vibrant and unique culture and working there is an incredible privilege. You likely will be able to use your EE skills, meet amazing people and hike some gorgeous trails!

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/pro...-contract.html

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Popnfrsh24 View Post
    ... I am struggling hard to figure out what path I should take with life.
    You aren't alone.

But I have this fear that I will get another "professional" job and life will just be..."meh"...every day, and it is tough to imagine living like that again for the rest of my life.
    Life is hard.

I am almost looking forward to going to bed every night, just so I can get away and dream.
    Depression?

Pick an apropos historical quote - there are likely thousands, e.g.,
    "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Thoreau
    "Man is born free, but he is everywhere in chains." - Rousseau

The reality is that most jobs are done by disillusioned people who would rather be doing something else.
    In times past, you either got the barn and house up, crops harvested, livestock raised, chores done - or you died. We are soft compared to our ancestors. Modern life is just a kinder, gentler survival struggle - at least physically. You still at minimum have to EARN a roof over your head, food to put in your mouth, and at least some of modern society's trappings to be self-sufficient - that or become a leech either on family or society. Neither of those latter options represents any freedom either.

We all have to figure out our own way.

As moldy noted, there is military service. You have a technical degree, and you need some self-discipline. It might or might not work.
    You could also consider industrial maintenance. There's always something new breaking down or needing electrical/mechanical attention.
    Or find something else.
    Welcome to the club called adulthood.

This is probably not going to be the popular opinion, but whatever.

Too many people spend too much time working jobs they can't stand (making someone else(s) rich), for housing they don't use (and often don't like/want), to get stuff they don't need (or usually really want or like), to chase illusions of dreams that aren't theirs (fed to them by media), in a non sustainable life of mediocre dissatisfaction.

I'm not saying don't do something to support yourself. I am saying find a life to live. Do what you want and enjoy to support what you really want out of life. Stop existing (and aspiring to the expectations of others and society as a whole), and live your life for the only person it should matter to, yourself. Go find adventure, joy, success, failure, experience, travel, and LIFE.

You sound like you have already discovered that you don't want/need much for yourself. Also, you sound disillusioned with how society works, and the ongoing technological disregard of nature. Look into what you enjoy doing, that could support you, and your dreams. If you don't know what your dreams are, figure that out. That could mean trying things, day dreaming, researching options, and talking to others.

Figure out what kind of life is what makes you smile and want to get up in the morning, and go after it. Also, keep in mind, as you go through the journey of life, that definition can and probably will change, that is part of experience. Go with it, don't lock yourself into anything, you can't ever be sure your interests or needs won't change.

Those who don't support you in this, while not most likely trying to be against you, are afraid and conditioned by "tradition" and hype. Don't let them get you down, don't treat them ill, or even think ill of them. Though if they cannot be supportive enough to at least not put down your dreams and allow you the chance to live for you, consider dissociating from them.

Hey Lighthouse, If your up for a move, I can easily get you a job here in CT. I work for Emerson Network Power/ Liebert Services and we are short staffed due to some people leaving and are actively hiring electrical engineers. If your interested and want more information shoot me a PM.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nyte View Post
    This is probably not going to be the popular opinion, but whatever.

Too many people spend too much time working jobs they can't stand (making someone else(s) rich), for housing they don't use (and often don't like/want), to get stuff they don't need (or usually really want or like), to chase illusions of dreams that aren't theirs (fed to them by media), in a non sustainable life of mediocre dissatisfaction.

I'm not saying don't do something to support yourself. I am saying find a life to live. Do what you want and enjoy to support what you really want out of life. Stop existing (and aspiring to the expectations of others and society as a whole), and live your life for the only person it should matter to, yourself. Go find adventure, joy, success, failure, experience, travel, and LIFE.

You sound like you have already discovered that you don't want/need much for yourself. Also, you sound disillusioned with how society works, and the ongoing technological disregard of nature. Look into what you enjoy doing, that could support you, and your dreams. If you don't know what your dreams are, figure that out. That could mean trying things, day dreaming, researching options, and talking to others.

Figure out what kind of life is what makes you smile and want to get up in the morning, and go after it. Also, keep in mind, as you go through the journey of life, that definition can and probably will change, that is part of experience. Go with it, don't lock yourself into anything, you can't ever be sure your interests or needs won't change.

Those who don't support you in this, while not most likely trying to be against you, are afraid and conditioned by "tradition" and hype. Don't let them get you down, don't treat them ill, or even think ill of them. Though if they cannot be supportive enough to at least not put down your dreams and allow you the chance to live for you, consider dissociating from them.
    You make it sound so easy But if it was, everybody would be doing it. I agree with your sentiments. But, it still ain't easy. Most of us are very aware of the trap society places in front of us - conform or become at least a bit of an outcast and live on the fringe. But life on the fringe isn't easy - or free - either. It is its own unique trap.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

My good buddy is a chip designer. He picks up consulting jobs only.

He works his butt off 8-10 months. Then takes off 4-6 months (if not more). He does not thru-hike, but he'll spend a summer/fall or winter skiing, climbing, backpacking etc. In fact he spent a whole summer this past year in the Canadian Rockies mountaineering.

What does this mean? Perhaps you can work full time for now, get your skill set up to a desirable level and then do the same. Some short term pain (working to get your skill set up to snuff for next bit) for long term gain (having the flexibility AND the skill set to pick up consulting jobs).

And engineer who can code? Google how much a sr developer makes. If you are good, you can work a year, make bank, then pick up another contact when you are ready.

Has its own challenges but it can be much more viable path than the traditional hiker trash/ski bum/dirt bag climber/river rat life cycle of working a job, save money and then starting over again.
    Last edited by Mags; 12-13-2013 at 12:28.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries

I did the trail to change my life, and am following the path of doing what I love, and willing to have that definition stretch to new experiences and learning, regardless of the amount it pays, and I know I am on the right path to my life. After the AT I applied as a ski school instructor and got accepted. Pay is not great, but there are tips, and it's a great way to increase my skiing and perhaps snowboarding ability, as well as a great opportunity to get some updated equipment at a great discount. Teaching people in a outdoor environment really appeals to me, that was reinforced on the trail. I also like that it is temporary (seasonal), so there is a Katahdin, a end point. The work environment also seems just what I am looking for, totally non-formal, friendly, helpful and family like - just like the trail. And to add, just a a bit of assurance from the AT itself, the AT runs over that ski area and the ski area is in a AT community. So to me it's just a continuation of following the white blazes in life.

Good Luck

Since you asked for advice, here it is. As an EE you have valuable and marketable skills, and anything you will want to do in life requires some money. I would recommend looking for another job, but not in a 60-70 hour/week mental sweatshop. Yeah you may not spend your free time dreaming about Engineering things like some of your peers, but that is fine, it is just your job that enables you do the other things where your passion lies. And while you may not become an "All-Star Engineer", lots of companies need solid employees to just put in a quality 40 hours/week. Once you get that job, then keep your traveling cost light, saving as much as you can for future adventures. The mid-west (unless you want to live with your parents) may not be the best place for you. If you loved the AT perhaps somewhere along it or Colorado, or the west coast would be better. If you somehow get stuck in another one of those mental sweatshops, get out, just remember you were looking for a job when you went there.

I would also recommend getting a PM to Ironbelly if you have not already.
    I wish you well!
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    My good buddy is a chip designer. He picks up consulting jobs only.

He works his butt off 8-10 months. Then takes off 4-6 months (if not more). He does not thru-hike, but he'll spend a summer/fall or winter skiing, climbing, backpacking etc. In fact he spent a whole summer this past year in the Canadian Rockies mountaineering.

What does this mean? Perhaps you can work full time for now, get your skill set up to a desirable level and then do the same. Some short term pain (working to get your skill set up to snuff for next bit) for long term gain (having the flexibility AND the skill set to pick up consulting jobs).

And engineer who can code? Google how much a sr developer makes. If you are good, you can work a year, make bank, then pick up another contact when you are ready.

Has its own challenges but it can be much more viable path than the traditional hiker trash/ski bum/dirt bag climber/river rat life cycle of working a job, save money and then starting over again.
    Mags advice is also excellent. Contract work is usually higher pay and higher risk, and great flexibility (especially when the market is good). While I was describing the 40 hr/week, with balance as you go (time to play your guitar and hike a little), the work an intense X months and play for Y months is also another valid approach.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

You say you are not getting positive responses in your job search. I suspect your state of mind is reflected in your resume's and applications. It's time for you to see a mental health professional to sort that out. You are young, and if EE is not going to satisfy you as a carreer, you can make changes. Good luck.

And don't sweat the parents, they'll love you forever regardless.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tauwillow View Post
    Consider taking on another adventure. Like the trail, Antarctica has its own vibrant and unique culture and working there is an incredible privilege. You likely will be able to use your EE skills, meet amazing people and hike some gorgeous trails!

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/pro...-contract.html

There is a good documentary http://www.amazon.com/Encounters-Wor...=werner+herzog
    It may give you an idea of what goes on there. I found this at my local Library.

You, the OP, said that, your not like other engineers, in that your not always engrossed, with technical gadgets. You might want to read this book; http://www.amazon.com/Discover-What-...t+your+best+at

You may be one of those folks that have broader talents besides just engineering.

Until then.......get a job in Field Engineering . You would be out and about, and be fairly independent. There are also positions where you could travel either in the US or through out the world.

Just some ideas, your the one who needs to figure out what floats your boat............

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    You make it sound so easy But if it was, everybody would be doing it. I agree with your sentiments. But, it still ain't easy. Most of us are very aware of the trap society places in front of us - conform or become at least a bit of an outcast and live on the fringe. But life on the fringe isn't easy - or free - either. It is its own unique trap.
    Never said it would be easy, and as said elsewhere, life is hard. The hardest step is making the choice to go against conventional living. If living life is going to be hard, and you have to put in the effort to survive, why not do it in a way that fulfills your needs, desires, dreams, aspirations, and keeps you interested in living, rather than spend it hating life?

I look, for example, at my dad, who has done what he thinks he is supposed to his whole life. Every day he complains about whatever job he has, he complains about having to maintain his house, his vehicles, the tools to maintain his house... He takes vacations, and loathes coming back from them, always dreams about changing his life to sell off everything, have his motorcycle, an RV, and live travelling, doing what he has to only when he has to to pick up extra $$.

He crushes those dreams every time with sayings like, "You have to have a house to live in", or "It's just the way things are", and the ever tiresome "There isn't another way to live."

Figure out what supports your mental and emotional health as well as your physical needs, and go do it. No more living to fulfill the checkbooks of the rich and powerful. Go watch "Metropolis" and decide if you still like living in the worker's area.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Hey man, fellow electrical engineer here. I found that for me anything I do 40 or more hours a week (as a job) starts to suck. That would include if any of my hobbies became a full time thing. It's just how I'm wired I guess. So for me a good work/life balance is the way to go, and is something to consider.

As for getting a job, you're young and have a highly sought after degree, so I would agree with the others above and tell you to get another job. Try something else in electrical engineering...if that doesn't work then get another EE job in something else...perform well...develop a name and/or niche for yourself...then you can do whatever you want. Also consider what Mags was talking about, and maybe look into contracting. Once you get established at being good at something you can probably get jobs pretty easily. This is a good way to make lots of money (i.e. to go on adventures and so that you don't become a burden on society), and still have a flexible schedule.

Also remember that you're young and your perception of things will change as you age. Life changing events (getting married, having kids, etc.) have a way of changing one's priorities.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++