WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 12TH Man View Post
    Hi Minda, I hiked the Gorge some time ago. '95. Downhill thankfully. As an ex paratrooper; I paid my respects at the German paratrooper cemetery and monument. (US Paratrooper)
    I hiked it back in 91 when I was at Souda Bay NAS. I think all hiking trails should end at a beach where there is plenty of wine & beer.

And thank you for your service. A paratrooper's life is not always easy. I used to sit in the ER at Ft. Bragg in shock at the injuries I saw coming in after a jump. My husband's old roommate still has some issues from a head trauma that left him with amnesia. Y'all are true warriors.

This is Parkie Man. Diagnosed with PD on my 50th Bday. Doesnt keep me off the trail yet. My son and I are planning a half thru this summer when he gets out of school and do the rest next year.

So if you see someone on the trail this summer that looks like he is cold all the time....that be me.

Quote Originally Posted by minda View Post
    I hiked it back in 91 when I was at Souda Bay NAS. I think all hiking trails should end at a beach where there is plenty of wine & beer.

And thank you for your service. A paratrooper's life is not always easy. I used to sit in the ER at Ft. Bragg in shock at the injuries I saw coming in after a jump. My husband's old roommate still has some issues from a head trauma that left him with amnesia. Y'all are true warriors.
    Thanks Minda, Souda Bay was incredible from a distance. They wouldn't admit paratroopers. Worried about the neighborhood.
    I spent time in the ER there at FB after landing on a immoveable piece of armor. The tankers decided they didn't need to chemlite
    on an absolutely pitch black combat equip night jump.
    Life has been fun.

Quote Originally Posted by minda View Post

Minda, Thank you and your husband for your service. Your husband spend any time in north GA barking at the moon?

Thanks Minda, Souda Bay was incredible from a distance. They wouldn't admit paratroopers. Worried about the neighborhood.
    I spent time in the ER there at FB after landing on a immoveable piece of armor. The tankers decided they didn't need to chemlite
    on an absolutely pitch black combat equip night jump.
    Life has been fun.
    *Ouch* Thanks for your service Carl!

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    *Ouch* Thanks for your service Carl!
    No. Thank you Mom!

G'day, I'm Roger, from Tasmania. I have been bushwalking seriously for about 13 years here in Tassie. I live in the hills of the East Coast on a 10 acre bush block.
    I started my walking career in 1972 when my Dad took me into Lake Pedder to see it before it was flooded by a hydro dam.Then just a walk here and there until we( wife and 2 boys) came back to Tassie in 2001.
    Work wise I have been a driller,roughneck, soldier, Local Government Inspector, and alot of temporary jobs when I was hitching around Australia.
    I have had the AT in the back of my mind for along time but never thought I would be able to get enough time to actually do it. Then I was made redundant in 2012, had a panic attack then realised I didnt need to work, we had enough money to live on. Then I had light bulb moment, I have the time to do the AT. So I fly out to Atlanta on the 18 Mar this year.
    I have been lurking around WB for a while getting info.
    I am pretty experienced at bushwalking in Tassie , so I am hoping most of my skills will be of use on the AT.

I also do a Photo of the Day email, sent out most work days. I send out to about 40 ppl it is always of bushwalking in Tassie, and always from a walk I was on. If anyone is interested in seeing a bit of Tassie bush just let me know and I can add you to the list.
    Hope to see some of you on the track, sorry trail. When I get back from the AT my walking mates are going to give me hell because I will be calling all the tracks trails.

Roger

Images

Minda, Thank you and your husband for your service. Your husband spend any time in north GA barking at the moon?
    My crazy husband spends most of his time barking at the moon, but not in the way you mean. LOL.

BTW, is your "12th man" a Seahawks reference?

Images

My crazy husband spends most of his time barking at the moon, but not in the way you mean. LOL.

BTW, is your "12th man" a Seahawks reference?

Hey guys, my name is DJ. I've been lurking here for about a year, and finally decided to sign up. I'm hoping to do a thru sometime in the next couple of years, but i can't afford it yet. Until then i'm gathering my gear together and trying to find ways to get outside.

Tharwood.. Haven't been on since fall of 13... But I still see some of the same people. Hikermom.. birdbrain, Tipiwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkie Man View Post
    This is Parkie Man. Diagnosed with PD on my 50th Bday. Doesnt keep me off the trail yet. My son and I are planning a half thru this summer when he gets out of school and do the rest next year.

So if you see someone on the trail this summer that looks like he is cold all the time....that be me.
    Hey Parkie Man... God Bless you buddy! Good for you getting out there... Love it!! That's great you can get out there with your son too! Thanks for sharing with us!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tharwood View Post
    Tharwood.. Haven't been on since fall of 13... But I still see some of the same people. Hikermom.. birdbrain, Tipiwater.

Tharwood... Hey there!! Great to "see" you! Yes, we are all still here in some fashion! Hope all is well with ya! Don't be a stranger anymore! I'll let Birdbrain know you are here too!

I'm squeezebox, I play the English version of Irish button accordion. not piano accordion. thus the name. Folk dancer. I've been a carpenter , old houses, and an RN. currently unemployed. Long seperated from a verbally abusive wife. Son off to College. He learned her abusive style. I'm hoping the time on the trail will clear my head of depression. Nothing big holding me here in St. Louis. Time to go somewhere and figure who I basically am and where I want to be / go. The AT might be faster and cheaper than therapy. Today is grey and cold, I'm in kinda a funk.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Berserker here…been a member of WB for quite a while. I come on here mostly to get and share info, and for entertainment. I’ve been working on the AT one piece at a time since the end of ’07, and I’m almost half way done mileage wise. I’ve hiked in all the states except NH and ME (haven’t hit much of MA yet either), and plan to get into NH this year. I’ve been knocking the sections down on weekends and via one longer (1 – 2 weeks) hike per year. I took last year off to do the JMT (you can check out my trip report of that hike here: http://www.trailjournals.com/Berserker/).

I do aspire to do a thru hike of some trail at some point, however I’m married with two children and working on raising them so no time for an extended vacation right now. When I do get the opportunity I’d like to section or thru hike the PCT. I may also consider attempting a thru of the AT at some point.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

I'm Bill. I got my backpacking start in Harriman SP in the late sixties, and have hiked all over since. I hope to do a short section, including Harriman, this summer, and thru in two or three years. Meanwhile, I'm teaching high school science and enjoying my family.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Hello!
    Been lurking on here for a few months now, absorbing as much as I can. Stationed at Ft Meade, which is a new environment since I'm Active Duty Air Force. Originally from Upstate New York.

Most of my camping has been car camping as a Boy Scout. Looking to go lighter to get further into the woods! Lots of great info on here. Would like to try a through of the AT when I get out of the military, as I can't exactly get 6 months off until I do lol. In the meantime I plan on slowly regearing and trying small hikes to work myself up to some of the smaller long trails (ie. Long Trail, 100 Mile Wilderness, small sections of the AT).

Ken

Hello all. I am CarryOn(trail name) I am sure others use it but that's the name I have always wanted. My last hike was hiking thru Baxter State Park with my soon to be wife, 25 years ago!!!! 3 kids later and we are back to our first love - the wilderness! We carried external frame packs with the cheapest (heavy/unreliable) gear and lots of food and beer. Now, with all new gear we are carrying just enough to keep the pack weights down.

This will be a test year for us. I am a trail maintainer for the MA Mid State trail, a 92 mile trail that goes thru central MA from NH to RI. So we will be doing that. If all goes well then we have our eyes on the Long Trail in VT. Then the pilgrimage of the AT. We may do three weeks at a time, section hiking, but who knows.

We live in central MA near the Mid State trail

Great to hear from you too.. Yes .. It has been a while.. lol Thanks for the welcome back .

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I'm squeezebox, I play the English version of Irish button accordion. not piano accordion. thus the name. Folk dancer. I've been a carpenter , old houses, and an RN. currently unemployed. Long seperated from a verbally abusive wife. Son off to College. He learned her abusive style. I'm hoping the time on the trail will clear my head of depression. Nothing big holding me here in St. Louis. Time to go somewhere and figure who I basically am and where I want to be / go. The AT might be faster and cheaper than therapy. Today is grey and cold, I'm in kinda a funk.
    Hope you get it all figured out. I went through a divorce several years ago. Thats when I got into hiking. Hiking wasn't a cure-all for me but it definately helped me then and still does now.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++