WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    Don't ride on the Dog. Back when I was doing some long travels to get to the trailhead, I took the Dog. Big mistake! Overpriced, long nasty ride all to be dumped off in some rundown part of town. O by the way, did anyone tell the ticket agent they no longer have a bus that goes to.......... (fill in the blank.) Does anyone else have something they want to share about riding the bus?
    My bus experience was terrible…from Texas to Roanoke VA, the closest to the trail for a section hike I did in 2013, is a long ride and they don’t let you sleep. Several times they made us all get off the bus for cleaning during the night. Carpooling with four or more hikers is the best cheapest way to get to the trail. Should be less than $100 each depending on distance, right?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I just got bus tickets chicago to atlanta for 2.50$
    Megabus? I've heard they are actually pretty good for city to city, but their departure times are sometimes odd/inconvenient and stringing connecting bus tickets together can be a big problem (like 12+ hr layovers waiting for the next leg of the trip. If just a one bus ride deal though, you can't beat the price.

Bus times and fares are not out for March yet. Assuming they stay the same and you purchase well in advance, based on today's schedules you could do this:

Megabus non-stop from Portland Transportation Center to Boston South Station. Dep 9:30 AM - Arr 11:25 AM for 1$

Boston SL1 (Silver Line) bus from South Station to Logan Airport. Departures every 10 minutes - 15 minute trip for $2.50

Southwest Airline flight 5308 (operated by Air Tran) nonstop from Boston to Atlanta. Dep 3:00 PM - Arr 5:44 PM for $133. This fare is available on most Tuesdays and Wednesdays in March. It's a non-stop flight with two free checked bags, so probably no need to ship your bag.

Take the MARTA rail Red Line from the Airport to the North Springs Stations (end of the line). $2.50

If you are going to use the Hiker Hostel Thru-Hiker Deal, they will pick you up there, take you to the hostel, one night's lodging, breakfast in the morning, 8 oz of alcohol, and a shuttle to the trail head the next morning for $80

If you wanted to save a few bucks, you could take an afternoon bus to Boston, then take the 6:30 PM bus from Boston to NYC arriving at 10:45 PM (3$) then take the 1:30 AM bus to DC (1.1 mile walk between bus stops). You'll have a 2.5 hr layover in DC and then get the 9 AM bus to Atlanta, arriving at 10:00 PM. The BOS-ATL bus is $79 so this saves $51 over the SW flight, however, you end up in downtown ATL at 10 PM. I don't know if the Hiker Hostel would pick you up this late so you might have to stay in Atlanta which will cost much more than $51. Even if you sleep on a park bench, since the bus trip takes an extra day, you have an extra day of meals to pay for which would eat up more of the potential savings.

If you have some other way of getting from Atlanta to the trail, that would save you the $80 from the Hiker Hostel.

Bus and air fares seem to be best on Tues and Wed.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Bus times and fares are not out for March yet. Assuming they stay the same and you purchase well in advance, based on today's schedules you could do this:

Megabus non-stop from Portland Transportation Center to Boston South Station. Dep 9:30 AM - Arr 11:25 AM for 1$

Boston SL1 (Silver Line) bus from South Station to Logan Airport. Departures every 10 minutes - 15 minute trip for $2.50

Southwest Airline flight 5308 (operated by Air Tran) nonstop from Boston to Atlanta. Dep 3:00 PM - Arr 5:44 PM for $133. This fare is available on most Tuesdays and Wednesdays in March. It's a non-stop flight with two free checked bags, so probably no need to ship your bag.

Take the MARTA rail Red Line from the Airport to the North Springs Stations (end of the line). $2.50

If you are going to use the Hiker Hostel Thru-Hiker Deal, they will pick you up there, take you to the hostel, one night's lodging, breakfast in the morning, 8 oz of alcohol, and a shuttle to the trail head the next morning for $80

If you wanted to save a few bucks, you could take an afternoon bus to Boston, then take the 6:30 PM bus from Boston to NYC arriving at 10:45 PM (3$) then take the 1:30 AM bus to DC (1.1 mile walk between bus stops). You'll have a 2.5 hr layover in DC and then get the 9 AM bus to Atlanta, arriving at 10:00 PM. The BOS-ATL bus is $79 so this saves $51 over the SW flight, however, you end up in downtown ATL at 10 PM. I don't know if the Hiker Hostel would pick you up this late so you might have to stay in Atlanta which will cost much more than $51. Even if you sleep on a park bench, since the bus trip takes an extra day, you have an extra day of meals to pay for which would eat up more of the potential savings.

If you have some other way of getting from Atlanta to the trail, that would save you the $80 from the Hiker Hostel.

Bus and air fares seem to be best on Tues and Wed.

Have fun.

Thank you Odd Man Out! This is what i was looking for. I'm still having a hard time deciding. I think i will take the cheapest bus route, I dont mind a layover or walking a lil bit to the next station. So i think thats my best bet

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy84 View Post
    Thank you Odd Man Out! This is what i was looking for. I'm still having a hard time deciding. I think i will take the cheapest bus route, I dont mind a layover or walking a lil bit to the next station. So i think thats my best bet
    You might find other bus options with Greyhound. I only checked Megabus. If you do go that route, the secret to saving $ on Megabus is to be first person to buy a ticket - they get those 1$ deals. If you snooze you loose. So check back on their site often to see when the March tickets become available and be ready to grab one.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    You might find other bus options with Greyhound. I only checked Megabus. If you do go that route, the secret to saving $ on Megabus is to be first person to buy a ticket - they get those 1$ deals. If you snooze you loose. So check back on their site often to see when the March tickets become available and be ready to grab one.
    Oh ok. thanks again. The only bus ive ever heard of was greyhound. lol so I will definitely be on watch for them march dates

-

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Megabus? I've heard they are actually pretty good for city to city, but their departure times are sometimes odd/inconvenient and stringing connecting bus tickets together can be a big problem (like 12+ hr layovers waiting for the next leg of the trip. If just a one bus ride deal though, you can't beat the price.
    they can make the dog seem like deluxe travel - all stops are on the street, seating is by cattle call

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy84 View Post
    I plan on leaving sometime in march 2014 for a thru hike back home. I've seen plenty of threads on best way to get from Atlanta to the trail. I'm looking to find the cheapest way possible to get there from Lewiston or Portland Maine.
    Also I don't really wanna fly so that's out of the picture..
    Others have answered with the cheapest, but if I decide to thru-hike this year, I'm taking Concord Trailways bus from Portland to Boston South Station, then Amtrak from Boston to Gainesville. After transferring in NYC, getting a sleeper unit called the 'roomette', which includes meals.

Bus from Portland to Boston $30? I think
    Train from Boston to Gainesville $350. ($159 if you don't get 'roomette', just a seat)

amtrak.jpg here it is.

Also - post on Craigslist - if you have a flexible departure time, you might easily find somebody who wants company, or share gas $, who is heading South

Quote Originally Posted by mainelydave View Post
    Others have answered with the cheapest, but if I decide to thru-hike this year, I'm taking Concord Trailways bus from Portland to Boston South Station, then Amtrak from Boston to Gainesville. After transferring in NYC, getting a sleeper unit called the 'roomette', which includes meals.

Bus from Portland to Boston $30? I think
    Train from Boston to Gainesville $350. ($159 if you don't get 'roomette', just a seat)
    Thanks Dave. This sounds like a good option too.. I'll Keep it in mind. Still not sure how i'll be traveling but sounds like plenty of options

Seems to me that going all the way to Atlanta is a waste. Get off at Gainesville. If you go to Atlanta you would only have to backtrack north.

Images

figure out how to get to Boston, Ma
    then take Amtrak to NYC (Penn Station)
    then take Amtrak to Gainsville, GA (the Crescent)
    Gainsville is really close to Amicalola / Springer
    you can continue on the same trail to ATL if you like
    message me and I'll help / shuttle, etc.

this spring, my daughter sassafras and i flew out of boston to atlanta (my wife drove us) and the tickets were $140. look on live every day, they were 240 for our march departure date on 3/20/12 in january and the beginning of febuary and one day they were $100 cheaper so i jumped on it. we then took the marta train for a few bucks and did the thru hiker special at the hiker hostel (a shuttle from the marta station, ride to there place, a bunk over night, breakfast in the morning and a ride to the trail head for about $70) we checked our backpacks and mailed our food to the hostel. the shuttle driver stopped a a super walmart on the way from the airport, and an outfiter, so i would by my food then if i did it again. we live in new gloucester, if you have any questions let me know. kaboose

walk............

Grayhound?? or do you mean Greyhound.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++