WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

I would just stay at home. If you worried about this, imagine all the other things you will get all upset about.

OK, I guess nail clipper it will be! Thanks a lot!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Make sure you go with the Ultra Light ones!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I've always been very prone to infections around the toenails if they are not clipped just right, so a good clipper is not a luxury but a necessity for me. YMMV

Images

toenail care is really important - fingernail care is secondary but with a tiny clipper - I carry the tiniest nail clipper along with
    my toothbrush (cut in half) - it weighs less than about 1/4 of a snickers bar so putting it in that perspective, you see why.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    I just use the scissors on my mini swiss.
    +1. .

Images

Y'all got me thinking, so I searched for Titanium nail clippers to satisfy my UL OCD and found that while there are some Ti clippers available, they do not work well according to reviews for several reasons: Ti does not hold an edge well and lacks the spring properties that tempered steel has. Many very lightweight steel clippers are out there, but many users of the small folding ones [which are made more for fingernails] complain they don't open wide enough to do thicker toe nails. Make sure they'll do the job before packing them.

Journal Entries

Never had a problem, but there are nail clippers (in many various forms) along the way. You need to decide how nail growth effects your hike.

Nail clippers is a great idea for "trail magic" and for hostel/motels owners to offer to hikers. I wouldn't share nail clippers without the ability to clean them well after each use.

There is a SAK with a nail clipper, but I've never gotten my hands on one to find out how well they work.

http://www.wengerna.com/swiss-clipper-16930

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    There is a SAK with a nail clipper, but I've never gotten my hands on one to find out how well they work.

http://www.wengerna.com/swiss-clipper-16930
    I have it and was unimpressed. Perhaps it was just the model that I had, but the clippers were on the duller side of clippers I have used. Plus it weighs more than baby nail clippers.

I buy my baby nail clippers from Sally Beauty Supply and they are made for nail salons. Very sharp. Can cut through my very tough/strong nails, which I have been told are some of the strongest most have seen.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Cut them ?

.................................................. .................................................. ...........................................+1

Quote Originally Posted by Airman View Post
    I would just stay at home. If you worried about this, imagine all the other things you will get all upset about.

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
    I have it and was unimpressed. Perhaps it was just the model that I had, but the clippers were on the duller side of clippers I have used. Plus it weighs more than baby nail clippers.

I buy my baby nail clippers from Sally Beauty Supply and they are made for nail salons. Very sharp. Can cut through my very tough/strong nails, which I have been told are some of the strongest most have seen.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the review.

odds are you'll lose em anyway, the toenails i mean

Quote Originally Posted by tecti View Post
    Hello,
    I am planning a thru-hike next Spring and am really wondering how people keep their nails clipped. Is the solution just to take a nail clipper? I have been going through many UL gear lists trying to make my own (going for a lightweight one) and don't see anywhere a nail clipper and they're heavy!
    Couldn't find the answer in other threads either. Sorry if this is redundant.
    Yes, the solution is to just take nail clippers. You don't see cans of Spam on UL gear lists either, but that doesn't mean you should do without. Spam, wonderful Spam!

There is a Wenger Swiss Army penknife that includes small scissors, a pen blade, a nail file, tweezers, toothpick, AND a nail clipper. This is my favorite. The nail clipper works well for fingernails and small toenails and the scissors can deal with the big toenails. The blade, tweezers, and scissors come in handy for first aid use as well (blister care, ticks, etc.).
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Soak your nail clippers in your alcohol stove for a minute or 2 before you light up. That should kill the germs.

Images

I started leaving my nail clippers at home. It wasn't worth it. Now I carry it again.

This gram weenie uses a victorinox classic. The scissors on them work great for nail clippers and the rest of the tools are infinitely useful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++