WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default long section hike

I've hiked all the trail south of pearisburg. From there to katahdin it's around 1500 miles. I have around 104 days to hike. Is this doable? It averages to 15 mpd not including neros and zeros.

How many miles per day were you comfortable doing on your previous section hikes? The "average" completing NOBO thru-hiker would take about 115 days to do this 1554 mile hike, but very few hikers are exactly "average." If you think you might be comfortable doing 12-14 miles per day right off the bat and then slowly increased that as your hiking endurance improved, increasing to around 18-20 miles per day by the time you got to New England, then 104 days might be doable if you avoided taking more than, say, 8-10 zero days over the course of the hike. If you do take 10 zero days, then your miles per hiking day requirement goes up to 16.5 miles per day, and keep in mind that you will be slowed down by the ruggedness of NH/western Maine. So excluding that section you would need to average 17-18 miles per hiking day.
    Last edited by map man; 12-30-2013 at 12:39.

Default long section hike

on previous weekend hikes I average around 17 mpd. I'm a runner so my core is in good shape.

It shouldn't be too hard to pull off for a 19 yr old in decent shape - so long as you stay focused and don't mess around. Try to do 20+ mile days through PA/NJ/NY/CT/MA where it's easy so you can slow down a bit and enjoy New England.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++