WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Question: When resupplying in towns, what are your backpacking food staples?

I tend to buy the same things at a resupply. I want to broaden my horizons on my PCT hike next year. Any suggestions? I'm always looking for new meal ideas that fit into these categories:

Calorie dense
    Non-perishable
    Easy to prepare with only a cook pot, stove, and spoon
    Nutritious
    Tasty
    Inexpensive
    Versatile, not as important maybe, but I like ingredients that can be used in multiple ways and meals that have varying cook times (for those times I don't want to cook).

I'm a fan of peanut butter noodles (whole-grain pasta, crunchy peanut butter, olive oil, and a packet of soy sauce). It's cheap, calorie dense, easy to prepare, nutritious, tasty, and the ingredients can be used in a lot of ways. Any other suggestions like that?

Thanks!
    ABackpackersLife.com

It's gotta start with pre-cooked bacon.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Here is my routine:

clean out zip-locks and organize food bag in grocery store garbage can (usually at front of store)

breakfasts: carnation instant, pop-tarts, instant oatmeal, cliff bars, met rx protein bars, instant coffee (starbucks vias if I can get them)
    lunches: GORP, Dried Fruit, Candy Bars, Cliff Bars, Nuts, Soy Stuff (tofurky, seitan bars?) tuna foil packs, etc.
    dinners: mac and cheese, tortellini (I look for Barila Brand), instant refried beans, instant rice, tortillas, block cheese, instant potatoes, foil packs of tuna,
    hot chocolate mix, candy bars, maybe a little junk food - - like a big bag of Snyders of Hanover Pretzel things
    also, old fashioned jiffy pop pop corn backpacks pretty easily
    I also carry curry powder and the hottest hot sauce I can find

have fun

Images

oh yeah:

if I have to buy ziplocks or have anything left over, I try to give the leftovers to the kindest oldest person I can spot. I say, "excuse me, but could you use half a box of ziplocks (or whatever)"
    they say, "um, sure, why are you giving them away" then I say, "oh, because I am hiking the appalachian trail (or whatever trail) and I can't carry more than I need in my pack - - I only have to
    walk three miles up the road there to get back to the trail." They say, "oh, really, we could give you a ride." I say, "wow, thanks, that would be great."

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Don't know what you usually buy, so it's hard to know what to say to broaden your horizon. But if you want to do that, I'd look into dehydrating and sending mail drops. Some good recipe books out there.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries

convenience food store snacks
    trail mix
    candy bars
    Little debbie snacks
    peanut butter
    tortillas
    Pepperoni
    cheese
    meat sticks
    jerky
    tuna salad
    tuna
    granola

Why have I not done this!
    ABackpackersLife.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    It's gotta start with pre-cooked bacon.
    Why have I not done this?!
    ABackpackersLife.com

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Here is my routine:

clean out zip-locks and organize food bag in grocery store garbage can (usually at front of store)

breakfasts: carnation instant, pop-tarts, instant oatmeal, cliff bars, met rx protein bars, instant coffee (starbucks vias if I can get them)
    lunches: GORP, Dried Fruit, Candy Bars, Cliff Bars, Nuts, Soy Stuff (tofurky, seitan bars?) tuna foil packs, etc.
    dinners: mac and cheese, tortellini (I look for Barila Brand), instant refried beans, instant rice, tortillas, block cheese, instant potatoes, foil packs of tuna,
    hot chocolate mix, candy bars, maybe a little junk food - - like a big bag of Snyders of Hanover Pretzel things
    also, old fashioned jiffy pop pop corn backpacks pretty easily
    I also carry curry powder and the hottest hot sauce I can find

have fun
    Do you prefer a certain type of block cheese? I use Parmesan since it lasts longer in warmer weather.
    ABackpackersLife.com

Images

oh heck, I forgot peanut butter -a staple for sure - make ramen noodles wet (skip the spice bag) add a big dole of peanut butter - - stir, stir stir -
    add hot sauce and soy sauce (pirate packs from chinese restaurant if you can) - - you have trail thai noodles. gourmet it up with some coconut milk!

oh yeah:

if I have to buy ziplocks or have anything left over, I try to give the leftovers to the kindest oldest person I can spot. I say, "excuse me, but could you use half a box of ziplocks (or whatever)"
    they say, "um, sure, why are you giving them away" then I say, "oh, because I am hiking the appalachian trail (or whatever trail) and I can't carry more than I need in my pack - - I only have to
    walk three miles up the road there to get back to the trail." They say, "oh, really, we could give you a ride." I say, "wow, thanks, that would be great."
    I will have to give that a try! And I thought I've tried every trick in the book for getting a ride hah.
    ABackpackersLife.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ryan850 View Post
    Do you prefer a certain type of block cheese? I use Parmesan since it lasts longer in warmer weather.
    the harder the cheese, the longer it lasts but I've carried block cheddar in the summer for 5 days and it's fine - maybe a little slimy on day 5 but really ok

Journal Entries

Any vacuum packaged individual cheese sticks will keep fine for several days.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Don't know what you usually buy, so it's hard to know what to say to broaden your horizon. But if you want to do that, I'd look into dehydrating and sending mail drops. Some good recipe books out there.
    My list is usually: Peanut butter, whole-grain pasta, olive oil, instant potatoes, Knorr Pasta sides, Ramen, parmesan, candy bars, Pop tarts, Nuts, dried fruit, oatmeal, tuna salad, tortillas, and ovaltine for hot or cold chocolate drink.
    ABackpackersLife.com

oh heck, I forgot peanut butter -a staple for sure - make ramen noodles wet (skip the spice bag) add a big dole of peanut butter - - stir, stir stir -
    add hot sauce and soy sauce (pirate packs from chinese restaurant if you can) - - you have trail thai noodles. gourmet it up with some coconut milk!
    I've done this, but never with coconut milk or hot sauce. I'll definitely give it a try. Thank for all the info!
    ABackpackersLife.com

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Any vacuum packaged individual cheese sticks will keep fine for several days.
    Good to know. I crave cheese on the trail, but rarely buy it unless it's relatively cold outside.
    ABackpackersLife.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ryan850 View Post
    I've done this, but never with coconut milk or hot sauce. I'll definitely give it a try. Thank for all the info!
    well the coconut milk requires that you pack in and out a can so it's totally optional - the use of cayenne pepper or some other hot sauce is required.

try this:

buy some kid's "squeezable fruit snack" (at home) squeeze the gross fruit and sugar into the garbage or compost. Fill the container with sriracha! maybe take 2.
    re-fill at grocery with sriracha or whatever other hot sauce you can find - split with other hikers.

Honey. I like it with peanut butter (PB&H), or as a sweetener for cereals and hot drinks. I carry the bottle in a bag!

Images

well the coconut milk requires that you pack in and out a can so it's totally optional - the use of cayenne pepper or some other hot sauce is required.

try this:

buy some kid's "squeezable fruit snack" (at home) squeeze the gross fruit and sugar into the garbage or compost. Fill the container with sriracha! maybe take 2.
    re-fill at grocery with sriracha or whatever other hot sauce you can find - split with other hikers.
    Am currently working as a nanny so wanted to pop in and say that if you are talking about those squeeze apple sauce type packages, they already make empties that can be filled and refilled. Easier to clean, for sure. Not sure if the package is lighter, but maybe someone would rather carry the extra few grams than have the possibility of Apple sauce tainted hot sauce. Don't have the link to the product on me, but can ask on my local nanny forum if there is enough interest.

On that note, if anyone wants any empties of those stage 1 baby food squeeze packs, let me know over PMs. My local nanny group can hook you up. That way there is no need to buy something just to squeeze it in to the trash.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Idaho Potoato .................................... much warm , such filling!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++