Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Interesting blog post

Our silly little podcast is mentioned!
    http://networkedblogs.com/SsCUh

Being serious, has anyone hiked all or part of the Florida Trail? What were your impressions?

Just curious.

As said on our Facebook page, I did a short hike (maybe two miles?) in Florida about two years ago. Pretty enough with the palms and wild flowers..but canoeing down in the Everglades or other larger swamps holds more allure to me.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I read Scribble's trailjournals when she hiked the FT last winter. That convinced me the FT was not some thing I'd ever want to do. I like mountains and scenic vistas, not endless road walks and trudging thru swamps. I spent a few days hiking in the Ocala NF one winter and was not impressed.

A canoe trip would be much more interesting. I did a canoe day trip along a river and that was worth while. The mangroves along the coast are also interesting to explore. Much more fun then hiking down there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Well, Mags, Amazingly I have thru-hiked the FT twice. It is a fun trail. FLAT. More wild life than anywhere. Plus cattle, sugarcane, oranges, grapefruit, etc. You can easily do it in 10 weeks. It has the best maps of any trail as well as one of the best guidebooks by Sandra Friend. A lot of angels but they have to be called you don't just bump into them. A lot of people start in January but it is very dark in winter. Spending 5PM to 7AM in a tiny tent gets old. I suggest a Feb 1 start. Don't listen to the negativity. Yes, there's road walk but certainly not much different than the CDT. ST Marks wildlife sanctuary is amazing. And I call Bradwell Bay the Mahoosic Notch of the Florida Trail. Both times I did it I NEVER saw another backpacker but I'm told there are quite a few starting this year. Although why you would start with a "the pack" I dunno. ...PS... You'll usually carry 2-3 days food tops.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Two very divergent views. Wow. One person who has done all of the 11 scenic trails said it was his least favorite. Another person, on the same thread, said they absolutely love it.

I am going to have look up that trail journal and see for myself. Guess it is all what you like!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Used to do an annual 3 day 2 night canoe trip thru the Okefenokee Swamp with the same group of friends until they all got too old to do it anymore. Nice trip; just don't forget sunscreen and mosquito repellent. Florida Trail, at least parts, awaits.

Images

Also Mags, like a lot of the "newer" trails. If you did them less recently you get a very different picture than if you did them just the last few years. The FT definitely falls in that category. Think of the CDT as well.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

I've hiked bits of the FT (mostly dayhikes but also a good section in the Ocala) and enjoyed what I saw of it. I was surprised to find out that I really like hiking in Florida. There is more diversity than you would expect. The fact that it is easy on the knees, so Jim is able to hike without pain, helps. I also love the birdlife there.

Images

Did a week on the FT a few years ago with my hiking partner. Very strange and enchanting place. Would very much enjoy a thru hike of it some day. Heck, I might even be able to get the time off from work, since Dec-Jan is our slow season. Hmmm.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

i'd probably like it since i like the Jersey Pine Barrens.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

i would say its a personal thing, i've hiked some of it. you can either love florida or you can't. i have a place way down near babcock ranch/cecil webb and also get out into big cypress. florida has grown on me over the years. compared to the AT, i see more critters i want to run fast away from down there.

to add, the worst thing/best thing.... no climbs

cypress swamp.jpg

although not my photo, this has happened to me, and often with bobcats

I've hiked most of the Florida Trail in the panhandle, and hiked the FT thru Ocala national forest. My favorite section is in Torreya State Park in the panhandle, near Tallahassee and Panama City, Florida. It offers some hills, and the vegetation is a mix of north Georgia and Jurrassic Park style palms and rim swamps along banks of the Appalachicola River. Other than Torreya State Park, I've not seen much of any hills on the Florida Trail, it is pretty flat, pine flatwoods, oak trees, palmetos, sable palms, other palm trees, and yes a fair amount of wetlands and "swamps". I've hiked thru Bradwell Bay, and it's 5 miles of old growth forests and knee to chest deep water, and deep organic muck on the bottom, in the rainy season the water can be dangerous and over your head. The hiking season is relatively short too, no fun hiking down here in the summer, much worse than the AT with the bugs, heat and humidity. I've come to call the Florida Trail the "old folks" trail, the flat terrain is much easier on the knees and back for folks who like to hike but can't do the hills any more. It has it's place and had it's nice sections. I doubt I would ever be interested in thru hiking the Florida Trail, but love hiking many sections of it.

I did most of the FT in sections in 1993. I tended to skip the road walks. I still walk the FT in the Ocala NF because that's near where I work. Hiking in FL is just different that most other hiking but it's fulfilling if you have the right attitude about it. Although I do hike in the summer most people like winter hiking here. The end of summer can be pretty taxing because of undergrowth on some trails.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I recently hiked a section west of White Springs that had surprising overlooks and views. I was unaware of the elevation changes there.

The nicest sections I have seen so far include the Aucilla Sinks, Sopchoppy River, and Suwannee River. I still have a ways to go before I've hiked all sections though.

I'm sure there are some nice sections of the FT to hike and see. It would certinally be a lot different then the usual mountain hike. But for me, it sounds like there is way too much druggery along the way to consider a through hike.

On the other hand, if this winter stays as cold as it has been (it might go to 30 below tonight!) and my propane supplier goes out of buisness as rummor around town has it, I might be looking to go to some place warm to do some hiking before winter is over
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Default Interesting blog post

I love the FT I am a member have done trail maintenance and feel blessed to have a national scenic trail in my home state. One of my favorite sections is along the Suwannee River very diverse and some areas challenging. I just spent New Years Eve night in Green Swamp had a good hike there trying to knock out the western corridor. My feeling about hiking is being outside it's all a state of mind.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Journal Entries

The sections south and west of Tallahassee, especially Sopchoppy Creek and those across Fort Eglin, are beautifully maintained and very interesting. It took me a while, but I have come to love the trail. Come on down, Y'all.
    nick
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Images

5 years ago i did research on this and some smaller trails. basically what i heard were they were wimpy with not much in elevation gain and loss. heard jokes about them be a not even being a good warm up for the approach trail or i didn't know you were THAT old. the Batona trail in NJ gets the same kind of comments. since a few run the trail in one day (51 miles) they wonder why we take a pack. the sarcastic comments shut down a thread in another forum. i agree that these trail are not braggart's trails, but they do offer a lot that others don't. like what Ladytrekker said, "My feeling about hiking is being outside it's all a state of mind."
    i guess some others need a mountain peak to have a spiritual journey
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

We need a new book. Instead of The Joy of Walking , we need The Joy of Not Climbing a Mountain It's all good!
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++