Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've hiked sections of the FT in the Ocala National Forest. Going north or south off hwy 314 in the Ocala Forest there are some nice pine tree forest. Here's a picture I took two weeks ago on the blue blaze approach trail leading from Salt Springs to the FT. Salt Springs Approch.jpg It's actually a dried up pond.

I thru hiked the FT starting in Key West on Jan. 27th of 2013. Honestly, I have yet to really relay my experience or organize my thoughts on my journey. I would recommend the 150mi. road walk to Loop Rd. The sunsets fall out of the sky there like no other place in the states. The International Hostel in Florida City is a true slice of Paradise with travelers from all over the world. I'd say days are strange on the FT. As you head thru Southern Florida, you'll walk away from the high fidelity, first class, traveling section right into the poorest heart of humanity. The 30mi. swamp slog from Loop Rd. is an adventure. I did roughly 95% of the entire trail in a pair of Crocs including the swamp(s). I went East Bound around Lake Okechobee and West around central Florida. Bussed over to West Palm for a five day rendezvous with an old friend in a world of elite rich and homelessness. North to and thru Ocala right after the recent Rainbow Gathering in ONF. Met a living marijuana growing legend. Hiked my way into St. Augustine: the most romantic place in the United States (my opinion)... Westward thru Appalachicola National Forest and Econfina Creek Wildlife Mngmt. Area and finished 20mi. short of Pensacola in a little town known as Navarre: the quietest place in the United States (my opinion). Great place to write a book I might add. My favorite forest was Econfina Creek. I'd say the most notable aspect of Florida in general, is the lack of the middle class. It's either rich, poor, or elderly. The locals are segregated in that way and take great pride in being a native born Floridian: Bubba (Key West native). Basically, if you aren't born and raised there, you are just another tourist. Everyone else kinda falls into one of a few clicks: biker, surfer, red neck... Road walking is all day...most all days. I'd say you road walk an average of 7-8 days out of 10. Most forests consist of roughly a 3 day excursion thru. I have intentions of hiking most the National Scenic Trails and I would be willing to surmise the FT to be my least favorite. I am grateful to have it done and enthusiastic to continue hiking and raising money for United Cerebral Palsy, however, I have no desire to ever do it again. I would like to dock my sailboat in Destin near Navarre and perhaps write hiking/sailing adventure/romance stories for aspiring adventurist. If you are holding on too tight to the American Dream, I'd say the Florida Trail would enlighten you to the reality of success in the rat race.... Prolly write a whole book just on the influence Florida can have on a man's ambition...

MorninJoe

FYI: I wouldn't buy all brand new hiking/backpacking gear and head out on the Florida Trailfor my first ever hiking experience. I would spend some time in the oldest mtns. of the world or elsewhere in the wilderness first. Otherwise, you may stuff that gear in a closet and never hike again.... Just sayin. Florida Trail days are strange!

aka Kudzu
    Images

We have people from all over the country come to Florida to thru-hike. We just had a group start over Christmas/New Year's in fact.

The FNST is definitely different from the AT. Unlike the AT the FNST doesn't run along a dedicated parcel. The Trail passes through land owned by Federal, state, and municipal entities, corporations, and private landowners. As ownership changes sometimes this adversely affects the trail. In the NE we lost a section because the landowner decided they didn't want hikers crossing their property anymore. Unfortunately it cut out a beautiful section of the Suwannee River.

There aren't any mountains to scale and no gorgeous panoramic views but there are numerous landscape changes. You may hike through gorgeous cypress stands in the morning and old growth longleaf pine forest in the afternoon. We have diverse wildlife from hogs and turkeys and maybe the occasional bear to the Florida scrub jay and red cockaded woodpeckers. Watch your step or you may stumble into a gopher tortoise hole.

I'd say it's like most any adventure. It's what you make of it. Give it a shot, you might be surprised.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

We are going to have The Florida Trail as our featured trail for next month. Misty has agreed to skype in and host the segment, too.

Should be good!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Sounds good Mags! I'll be waiting for that podcast. In regards to previous comments about the FT, no, we have no mountains. We have prairies, rolling hills, swamps, deep forests, beaches, cypress hammocks, oak grottos, grass seas, cave systems, fresh water springs, winding rivers, sinkholes, and many other geological features. All of which can be experienced on the Florida Trail.
    Last edited by lilricky; 01-31-2014 at 11:06.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++