Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Favorite down jacket for camp use?

Do any of you ladies have a down jacket you love to use at camp that keeps you really warm for low weight? I'm looking to upgrade my REI Revelcloud to down and am looking for suggestions. thanks

The MontBell down sweater is a good product, packs small and light.
    Occasionally available on sale.

I have the hooded Ghost Whisperer and love it, but it might not be "really warm" (depending on what you mean by that). I layer an Icebreaker wool long sleeved shirt under it and stay plenty warm. Women's size XL w/ hood is about 7.5 oz.

I have a Patagonia puffy down sweater I keep for camp use and in case I run across colder weather than I was anticipating. It's light at 11 oz and quite warm, even down into the 20s and 30s, with a light layer or 2 under it. I've had 2 of them now, and I wouldn't trade them for the world. Oh, and they now come with hoods, so there is another option. I usually layer with a set of Smartwool long underwear, a long (or short) sleeved shirt, and my jacket over the top with a warm hat and gloves or mittens. I usually wear a pair of UA pants underneath it all, in heavier weight for colder weather and a very lightweight version for summer use. Both are wind and water resistant, making things much nicer overall.

I've got a Stoic down anorak jacket and I love it. It's my favorite and its ultralight!

Backcountry has it for cheap on its website, and I'd look on geartrade.com too for a used one or a new-returned one. That's what I did and only paid $80 for it and it's my favorite piece of gear!

I love my Mountain Hardwear down jacket!!

I also like foreversuperawesome's username!

http://www.geartrade.com/browse/womens-down-jackets

Geartrade.com has a variety of down jackets. Some of them at super great deals. I managed to snag a ghost whisper down jacket for only 90 plus free shipping and handling. The jacket retails for over 300. Just scrolling through some of the jackets there are a few patagonia's at a super cheap price. So, if you find a type you like and have some patience you might be able to get it for super cheap.

Also, I love my jacket I got. I am glad someone gave it up because "they didn't like the color."

Default Favorite down jacket for camp use?

Patagonia sweater all the way. It is a great pillow as well and packs small and light. Had a zipper break after my thru and they replaced it with a new one for free.

Patagonia hooded jacket! Very warm & weighs next to nothing! I also carry a Thermawrap vest (synthetic) to wear in extremely cold weather! It weighs 4oz.

Thanks for the geartrade link. appreciate that and will check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDuck View Post
    Thanks for the geartrade link. appreciate that and will check it out!
    No problem!

I also have a light Mountain Hardware down jacket that came with a stuff sack which I use for adventuring.

has anyone ever used a down shirt as opposed to a fleece when hiking? or under a synthetic jacket like an REi Revelcloud at camp for more warmth? just thinking....

Images

yous know i never post here, but it must be the Patagonia puffy down sweater, because that's the one my girlfriend took and won't give back
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Over the years I've used several down jackets, to include Western Mountaineering, Montbell, Patagonia, LL Bean, and probably some others when I was even younger. Hands down, the best I've used for the weight is the Feathered Friends jacket. I am always cold. I sleep cold, hike cold - just always stay cold. Not only does this jacket keep me warm at a light weight, but it is also pretty rugged, and has held up better than some of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Lulu View Post
    Over the years I've used several down jackets, to include Western Mountaineering, Montbell, Patagonia, LL Bean, and probably some others when I was even younger. Hands down, the best I've used for the weight is the Feathered Friends jacket. I am always cold. I sleep cold, hike cold - just always stay cold. Not only does this jacket keep me warm at a light weight, but it is also pretty rugged, and has held up better than some of the others.
    Thanks. I'll check out Feathered Friends. I tend to be cold! I enjoyed your journal this year...thanks!

Images

Thank you...:-)

Images

I use a montbell Ul Inner down jacket. That said, I picked up a decent hooded down jacket at Walmart for $40.
    My montbell, no hood, weighs 7 ounces; the Walmart one weighs 8 1/2 ounces (size XL, it is a small cut jacket) with a hood. There is no wind baffle at the zipper and no drawcord on the hood, but for the price, it is not a bad jacket.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDuck View Post
    Do any of you ladies have a down jacket you love to use at camp that keeps you really warm for low weight? I'm looking to upgrade my REI Revelcloud to down and am looking for suggestions. thanks

Its not down.... its Revel is Primaloft! Hey are you comparing apples to oranges? both are incredibly lightweight, primaloft you can hike in - at camp its fine too great at water and sweat resistance.... Down is under a recent makeover, So MammaDuck take a look at this...Dri down I am still personally testing dri down in the cold fields around the home.

http://www.rei.com/product/838197/si...-jacket-womens

http://www.rei.com/product/854855/re...-jacket-womens
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Its not down.... its Revel is Primaloft! Hey are you comparing apples to oranges? both are incredibly lightweight, primaloft you can hike in - at camp its fine too great at water and sweat resistance.... Down is under a recent makeover, So MammaDuck take a look at this...Dri down I am still personally testing dri down in the cold fields around the home.

http://www.rei.com/product/838197/si...-jacket-womens

http://www.rei.com/product/854855/re...-jacket-womens
    I realize the Revelcloud is Primaloft which withstands water and sweat better than down, which is why I bought it. Thanks for the link for the gnar lite jacket. could be what im looking for. what has ur experience with it been so far

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++