WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help

Default Need help

I really want to get out to springer and hike a few days in early march , but my parents aren't really sure about me going, is there anything that I can say to them to get them more comfortable with me going ?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by windels11 View Post
    I really want to get out to springer and hike a few days in early march , but my parents aren't really sure about me going, is there anything that I can say to them to get them more comfortable with me going ?
    You can quote statistics until you are blue in the face... I doubt that's going to make a difference in your parents being worried about you.

The only thing I can think that you can DO to try to convince them otherwise is to find a way to earn their trust, show that you are mature and that you are approaching this maturely.

BTW, how old are you and what kind of hiking experience do you have (and how much, if any, hiking experience do either of your parents have?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

It does depend a lot on your age and amount of experience, but this might help as well:

The trail around Springer Mountain in March is going to be packed with people starting out on Northbound thru hikes. You can let your parents know that you will be in the company of many like minded people who have a habit of helping each other out and looking out do each other.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

In addition to what HooKooDooKu said, perhaps you could find a "chaperone" or friend to go with you, one that you like AND one that your parents would trust to help "protect" you? Or see if any of the GA hiking clubs are going out on a group hike around that time and inquire if you could join them. You have until March, almost two months. Parents can definitely be a PIA, but when faced with your frustrating burden, always remember that the reason they are a pain is that they care about you more than anyone else in the world.

How about taking a look at the 10 day forecast for North Georgia? If there are no storms coming then hike.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    You can quote statistics until you are blue in the face... I doubt that's going to make a difference in your parents being worried about you. The only thing I can think that you can DO to try to convince them otherwise is to find a way to earn their trust, show that you are mature and that you are approaching this maturely. BTW, how old are you and what kind of hiking experience do you have (and how much, if any, hiking experience do either of your parents have?
    I am 15 years old, I am pretty experienced in hiking and the outdoors. My parents on the other hand have very little experience with this kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    It does depend a lot on your age and amount of experience, but this might help as well: The trail around Springer Mountain in March is going to be packed with people starting out on Northbound thru hikes. You can let your parents know that you will be in the company of many like minded people who have a habit of helping each other out and looking out do each other.
    That's what I've been trying to show them, maybe I'll pull up some statistics that show how many people really are on the trail within the first few days.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    In addition to what HooKooDooKu said, perhaps you could find a "chaperone" or friend to go with you, one that you like AND one that your parents would trust to help "protect" you? Or see if any of the GA hiking clubs are going out on a group hike around that time and inquire if you could join them. You have until March, almost two months. Parents can definitely be a PIA, but when faced with your frustrating burden, always remember that the reason they are a pain is that they care about you more than anyone else in the world.
    Yea I was thinking that, it would be a big game changer for my parents if I had someone, but I don't really have anyone that I know at the moment that has any backpacking experience.

Images

As STE says, that time of year there will be a lot of hikers in Georgia. It's really about as safe as this sort of thing gets (that is, it's not 100% safe but it's safer than a lot of other places.) Hikers look out for each other anyway, but it's even more pronounced at the beginning of a thru-hike.

I'd suggest spending the night at The Hiker Hostel and getting a shuttle to Springer the next morning. That way you'll meet several other starting hikers and build a relationship with them before starting. It's nice to be able to hike in a small group on the first couple of days.

All that said, it would help to know if you have any hiking or backpacking experience. It's not totally necessary -- plenty of thru-hikers spend their first day ever in the woods on Springer -- but it helps a lot.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

It might also depend on what your parents are uncomfortable with. Have they said?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    It might also depend on what your parents are uncomfortable with. Have they said?
    I think it's just because they don't like me being with people that I don't know in the forest.

Standard approaches:
    (1) Show your parents your competence. Figure out what your plans are for various situations and how you will handle them. Then explain how you will handle them.
    Examples of situations:
    Weather events rain/wind/snow/lightning,
    Going into town (hitchhiking or shuttle - might be a good idea to show them that you won't HAVE to hitchhike, you can get shuttles in that section easily), How to handle injury - self care vs bailout,
    How to handle an encounter with someone who is sketchy (not telling your destination, finding a group of people while the sketchy person is around, not disclosing the fact that you're hiking alone, choosing campsites well away from roads and if stealth camping - out of sight of the trail, when you come up to a shelter you can cook dinner first before deciding [based on the company] whether to stay for the night). And for yourself - if a situation feels wrong, trust your gut and extricate yourself whether it is moving on to a new campsite or turning down a hitch.
    How to navigate and plan your day,
    and any others that suit your fancy.

(2) Know what communication devices you will bring and how often you will contact home. Maybe guarantee a check in once per day. A device such as a SPOT also provides peace of mind for those at home.

Thinking out of the box . . .
    See if you can get them hooked on a good trail journal so that they can become more comfortable with the community. Once they see what we are like, () they might be comfortable with you arranging online to meet up with a hiking partner to alleviate their concerns even if only for the first day.
    Last edited by Meriadoc; 01-06-2014 at 00:05.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Images

Yea I was thinking that, it would be a big game changer for my parents if I had someone, but I don't really have anyone that I know at the moment that has any backpacking experience.
    Take any adult you/they know that is willing (and able - some aren't ) to learn. You have the experience - they have the "responsible adult" status. Just make sure they're into trying it long enough so they don't want to bail on you.

This may not be a popular comment with you or even some WB members, but honestly, here's how a parent might see this: Our 15 year old child [sorry, you sound quite mature, but legally you are still a minor/child] wants to travel from Chicago to Georgia, on their own, 700+ miles, and then disappear on foot into the wilderness, pretty much right where a few days ago 3 ADULT hikers almost died from exposure, and where 24 year old Meredith Emerson got murdered by a crazed madman just a few years ago. Sorry, but that's the reality you are facing.

Here's a suggestion closer to home in your home state. Post on trail forums for people in your area that you can hike with to get some experience and learn from. Heck, your family might want to get involved too. That's one of the best ways to put the parental units at ease. There's a nice 170 mile long distance trail right there in southern Illinois called the River to River Tr. It goes from the Mississippi River in the west at the Illinois/Missouri state line to the Ohio River in the east at the Illinois/Kentucky state line, I think, entirely on Shawnee National Forest land. I've never hiked it but there's a trail guide(couple of dollars), free printable downloadable maps, and the trail is blazed(signed). If you need ANY assistance with hiking questions in general please feel free to send me a private message. I'd be glad to help if I can.

http://www.theshawneenationalforest....to-river-trail

http://www.gorp.com/parks-guide/trav...ev_054237.html

http://www.rivertorivertrailguide.com/

http://www.theshawneenationalforest....iver-trail-map

If you want I can send you some photocopied River to River Tr info I have in my Thru-Hikers Guide to America - 25 incredible trails you can hike in one to eight weeks book. PM me with an address or fax number and if interested I'll get this out to you along with the book offer regarding thru-hiking the AT I made on the other thread. You were the first to respond to that free AT thru-hiking book I offered so it's yours as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    If you want I can send you some photocopied River to River Tr info I have in my Thru-Hikers Guide to America - 25 incredible trails you can hike in one to eight weeks book. PM me with an address or fax number and if interested I'll get this out to you along with the book offer regarding thru-hiking the AT I made on the other thread. You were the first to respond to that free AT thru-hiking book I offered so it's yours as well.
    Your awesome man!! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Standard approaches: (1) Show your parents your competence. Figure out what your plans are for various situations and how you will handle them. Then explain how you will handle them. Examples of situations: Weather events rain/wind/snow/lightning, Going into town (hitchhiking or shuttle - might be a good idea to show them that you won't HAVE to hitchhike, you can get shuttles in that section easily), How to handle injury - self care vs bailout, How to handle an encounter with someone who is sketchy (not telling your destination, finding a group of people while the sketchy person is around, not disclosing the fact that you're hiking alone, choosing campsites well away from roads and if stealth camping - out of sight of the trail, when you come up to a shelter you can cook dinner first before deciding [based on the company] whether to stay for the night). And for yourself - if a situation feels wrong, trust your gut and extricate yourself whether it is moving on to a new campsite or turning down a hitch. How to navigate and plan your day, and any others that suit your fancy. (2) Know what communication devices you will bring and how often you will contact home. Maybe guarantee a check in once per day. A device such as a SPOT also provides peace of mind for those at home. Thinking out of the box . . . See if you can get them hooked on a good trail journal so that they can become more comfortable with the community. Once they see what we are like, () they might be comfortable with you arranging online to meet up with a hiking partner to alleviate their concerns even if only for the first day.
    Great ideas! I was actually going to use a spot when I attempt my thru when I graduate high school, maybe I'll bring the spot option up in our conversation ! Thanks for the advice!

Why not take one of your parents? It is a great opportunity to show them you are an adult as well as some of the best bonding time you will ever get.

Several years back I took my dad out for a couple of weeks and the experience disparity was like your situation. I had done about half the trail at that point and the longest trip he had ever done was probably 30 miles. I was in my early 20s so still at the point where my parents questioned everything I did even though I didn't care what they said, but after that trip my dad realized that I could take care of myself and he has never doubted me since. Now, mom on the other hand will always be worrying about me and there is nothing I can ever do to change that.

I don't remember listening to my parents when I was 15. We all turned out to be a big happy family anyways

Section Hiker

Great ideas! I was actually going to use a spot when I attempt my thru when I graduate high school, maybe I'll bring the spot option up in our conversation ! Thanks for the advice!
    Look at the Spot, as well as the Delorme InReach. I'm 41, and my parents still hate that I go off into the woods alone. I ease their mind by boring them with all the knowledge I have gained, bear safety facts, how great the trail community is, bought an InReach, and here's one I heard right here on WB: Criminals and bad people are usually inherently lazy, therefore, not very likely to hike off into the mountains to do bad things. Educate yourself, make smart decisions, and like posted above remember that while you do seem like a very mature 15, your parents see you as their minor child and their resopnsibility (if not their baby, right?). Try to understand them, and help them try to understand you. If you go, have a great time and be safe!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++