WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

[QUOTE=RED-DOG;1831917]
    Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    This is not meant to be critical, but to point out that we all are different. The items above would degrade my hike, not make it better. Again, thats just me.[/QUOTE
    Yeah that's just you, so you are saying you wouldn't spend more to make your hike easier, YEAH RIGHT like we believe that.
    I don't know why you want to be argumentative when I pointed out that was not my intent.

I've never slack packed a day in my life on a backpacking trip and I never will. And whether you believe that or not its the truth.

Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE=max patch;1831927]
    Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post

I don't know why you want to be argumentative when I pointed out that was not my intent.

I've never slack packed a day in my life on a backpacking trip and I never will. And whether you believe that or not its the truth.
    I think pride in (relative) self-sufficiency is about as common these days as a Three-toed Woodpecker, Max Patch. Three cheers for the rare birds out there!

Images

I don't know, to me it seems that not carrying (most?)everything you need takes away from the purpose of being out there. But I'm more a backpacker looking to get away, not a hiker looking to log miles. The words used to be more synonymous in days past.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

This reminds me of something I wrote two months ago:
    http://www.pmags.com/the-gift-of-tim...ream-adventure

My dream thru-hike list (as opposed to gear list!)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    This reminds me of something I wrote two months ago:
    http://www.pmags.com/the-gift-of-tim...ream-adventure

My dream thru-hike list (as opposed to gear list!)
    You have sought and found balance, Grasshopper.

Not a big surprise to me that regular long distance hikers are relatively happy overall with their current kits. I may be wrong about this, but after awhile most of the long distance hikers I know or have spoken with realize the gear isn't always the most important part of long distance hiking.

The main expense of a thru hike would be the cost of keeping my wife happy at home, so you would have to ask her what that would entail. My expenses would be minimal (OK, I'll fly first class to ATL).

I pretty much already have all the necessary gear for my upcoming AT thru this year. I would spend extra money on plane tickets for each of my three brothers to join me for a few days on the trail.
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

ULA circuit
    Hennessy Hammock with top of the line quilts
    Salomon Women's Quest 4D GTX Hiking Boot
    Enough cash to do the PCT
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

I would no longer work in a beige box between hikes, however. That would be the main benefit.
    This reminded me of something i was thinking about a while back. One of the most frustrating things to me was when several of my friends got laid off over the last few years, each was single, had no responsibilities besides the job that had just ended and had a fair amount of money in the bank. I tried to convince each of them that this was the ideal time to go off and have an adventure, or move somewhere new for a while, or at least to travel.

Instead each of them sat around for months, half heartedly applying for jobs they knew they werent going to get until their savings finally ran out and they took what employment they could get in order to make ends meet. So much wasted opportunity.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Not a big surprise to me that regular long distance hikers are relatively happy overall with their current kits. I may be wrong about this, but after awhile most of the long distance hikers I know or have spoken with realize the gear isn't always the most important part of long distance hiking.
    Absolutely!!!!!!!

I would hike to somewhere in central VA, buy the nicest piece of workable land i could find within 1/3 of a mile to the trail, and set up shop. definitely a modest cabin, maybe a couple more and make the most awesome hostel, keep it open for a season or two and then close it. I would keep the cabin for myself and friends/family after that.

or i would just buy rusty's hard time hollow. i'd keep the signs

If bullfrogs had hip pockets they could tote six-guns and shoot water maccasins.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    One of the most frustrating things to me was when several of my friends got laid off over the last few years, each was single, had no responsibilities besides the job that had just ended and had a fair amount of money in the bank. I tried to convince each of them that this was the ideal time to go off and have an adventure, or move somewhere new for a while, or at least to travel.
    When I was laid off, I learned to alpine climb, did a bunch of backcountry skiing, did a section hike of the Arizona Trail, went to British Columbia, hiked the Benton MacKaye Trail and the TRT and also did a bunch other things. It was a good not-quite-a-year.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

That's another very common characteristic/attitude of regular backpackers/hikers/experienced long distance hikers - they tend to take notice and advantage of opportunities more often, including widening their experiences and skill sets.

Too many folks limit and excuse themselves from taking steps towards achieving dreams because of money. It's that lottery mentality that they can't achieve unless they hit the lottery. It's used as an excuse to stay on the couch.

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

I would go the support vehicle route as well. I'm very happy with my gear and I would carry it all for safety purposes, but being able to be resupplied more often and not having to hitch would be priceless. I've section-hiked everything up to Franconia Notch, so getting up into Maine, this would make things a lot easier. I might also spring for a few huts.

Another thing I might do if I had endless money and vehicle support would be more sightseeing on my zero days.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnMelanson View Post
    I thought this would be an interesting topic.
    If unlimited funds were available? Hiking w/ Baywatch era Pam Anderson.
    Possibly more pain than astetically pleasing?

Quote Originally Posted by 12TH Man View Post
    If unlimited funds were available? Hiking w/ Baywatch era Pam Anderson.
    Possibly more pain than astetically pleasing?
    Yes....I know that I am a PIG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 12TH Man View Post
    Yes....I know that I am a PIG.
    It's okay. Quote from a very old Honeymooners episode:

Trixie: "All men are pigs Alice."
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I might get a newer sleeping bag, and maybe a mid-sized (60L MOL) pack. And a custom tailored Harris Tweed hiking jacket Would be nice.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++