WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default If money was no issue...give me your dream thru-hike gear list

I thought this would be an interesting topic.

Images

Cabin Tent
    Woodstove
    Aerobed
    Gas grill
    Phurba Tashi Sherpa Mendewa

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The more I hike, the more I realize that expensive doesn't always mean better. I don't like having things in the woods that I have to worry about breaking/cost of replacing.

Right now I have:
    ULA circuit
    Tarptent double rainbow
    Thermarest z-lite foampad
    None of these were particularly expensive compared to your average selection at REI/EMS and I wouldn't replace them regardless of money.

I might splurge and buy a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag if I had the cash to spare.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

On a serious note, I have pretty much what I would bring: Golite Jam 50L, Hennessy Hyperlite Hammock, A NF 20 and WM 35 sleeping bag, Jetboil Sol Ti, plenty of good clothes. I think I might splurge on a new underquilt and cuben tarp for the hammock and some merino base layers.

If money was no issue...give me your dream thru-hike gear list

Seriously, I'd have a big RV waiting for me at almost every trailhead so I could shower eat resupply and hit the trail again. Woo Hoo.

Not to put a damper on exploring your question but my dream thru-hikes, which I achieve every yr or so, are not absolutely necessarily dependent on having unlimited financial resources and certainly do not revolve around a so called dream gear set up. It's the other things on a dream thru-hike that are much more expensive in my experience. For example: shuttles, traveling commercially or privately to/from thru-hikes(car rentals, fuel, supplies, etc), multiple International permits($), fees, lodging, guide services, food, medical services abroad, etc. One HUGE advantage about backpacking is that even the most expensive long distance kit I can think of still isn't over $20k and that includes things like kayak, $1500 backpack, $700-$900 tents, $250 boots, $500 jackets, $200 merino shirts, $800 goose down sleeping bags, $$$ GPS, large extensive map sets, etc . In the big scheme of things I don't think backpacking gear is terribly expensive even for the loftiest priced gear. Consider what some spend on sports automobiles, racing boats, cars, and planes, antique hunting firearms, deep sea diving, ballooning, etc.

If you ask me what my dream hike would be, which would require multiple different types of kits and BIG $$$, it would be an almost continuous long distance hike across the entire 7 continents beginning with a continuous hike across the entire Asian and European continents, with flights to the various continents and a section hike from Alaska SOBO through the N American, Central America and S. American continents to Terra del Fuego.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    If you ask me what my dream hike would be, which would require multiple different types of kits and BIG $$$, it would be an almost continuous long distance hike across the entire 7 continents beginning with a continuous hike across the entire Asian and European continents, with flights to the various continents and a section hike from Alaska SOBO through the N American, Central America and S. American continents to Terra del Fuego.

HYOH but ya what he said ^

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Free shoes.

By far and away the most expensive part of hiking over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post

Seriously, I'd have a big RV waiting for me at almost every trailhead so I could shower eat resupply and hit the trail again. Woo Hoo.
    This is the way I went through SNP. Each night my wife would be at the next campground with a cold beer waiting. After a hot shower slip into cotton clothes, have a home cooked meal. Finally, I have to admit that sleeping with my wife each night was better than in a tent listening to the deer forage around in the leaves. Yep, we section hikers have it rough.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

If money was no issue, I doubt my gear would be any different.

I would no longer work in a beige box between hikes, however. That would be the main benefit.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    If money was no issue, I doubt my gear would be any different.

I would no longer work in a beige box between hikes, however. That would be the main benefit.
    This exactly!

Images

If money were no object, I would just hike more and work less. Probably get a few things like a Tarp Tent and a quilt, but really, the gear I have is fine. I just need more time off to enjoy the gear!

If money would be no issue, I would spend it on plane-tickets to be able to hike every continent, my gear wouldn't change that much.

As others have said, my gear wouldn't change much, but I would hike more. I would also hike with more people. My time outside is limited by the big beige box I work in. If wasn't bothered with work, I would spend more time bringing people into the outdoors. This year, I introduced 12 1st year boy scouts to light backpacking. It was great to see the boys carrying <20 pound packs, tarp camping and enjoying hiking. I'd do more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by TAG View Post
    As others have said, my gear wouldn't change much, but I would hike more. I would also hike with more people. My time outside is limited by the big beige box I work in. If wasn't bothered with work, I would spend more time bringing people into the outdoors. This year, I introduced 12 1st year boy scouts to light backpacking. It was great to see the boys carrying <20 pound packs, tarp camping and enjoying hiking. I'd do more of that.
    Cool thread!! TAG, ur comment is my fav. so far... love it.

I would go with the same gear set up i had in 2012, but i would spend more money in town on my Relaxation, better hotels, more slack packing, use shuttles more often and also i would probably help other hikers, but like it was said before, more exspensive gear doesn't always mean better,most of the time the least exspensive gear is better, when you buy the exspensive stuff you are just paying for the name.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    more slack packing, use shuttles more often
    This is not meant to be critical, but to point out that we all are different. The items above would degrade my hike, not make it better. Again, thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post

Exactly what i was thinkin!

[QUOTE=max patch;1831908]This is not meant to be critical, but to point out that we all are different. The items above would degrade my hike, not make it better. Again, thats just me.[/QUOTE
    Yeah that's just you, so you are saying you wouldn't spend more to make your hike easier, YEAH RIGHT like we believe that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++