WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default NH Hike Safe Card

Not sure if this has been posted already. NH House approves hike safe card program

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — New Hampshire's House has given it preliminary OK to giving negligent hikers a chance to buy a hike safe card that forgives rescue expenses they'd otherwise owe the state.

The House voted Wednesday to ask the Finance Committee to review a bill that authorizes the Fish and Game Department to sell voluntary hike safe cards for $25 per person and $35 per family. People who obtain the cards would not be liable to repay rescue costs if their rescue was due to negligence on their part.

The bill also would exempt people with hunting and fishing licenses and anyone with an off-highway recreational vehicle registration, including for a snowmobile.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Just curious, are the proposed $25 and $35 fees going to be annual or are they a one time payment?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The original bill was a ONE TIME fee of $18; have no idea when the proposed fee was raised if they also changed the frequency. It is my understanding that if you have a hunting-fishing-snowmobile license that you are already covered and don't need the Hike Safe card.

Images

This really rubs me the wrong way, just another fee which is "voluntary" now, but just opens the whole can of worms of paying to hike. The negligent are not going to be responsible and purchase the cards, responsible hikers will, funding the negligent which is the same situation now just a new/additional revenue stream. Charge the negligent hikers for rescue if they want period. Perhaps someone from the "Live Free or Die" State can chime in on how many times the state has actually charged and recovered the cost of a rescue of a some hiker(s) who were proven to be negligent. Is it negligent to hike alone, some lawmakers I'm sure are of the opinion it is, therefore..............

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The original bill was a ONE TIME fee of $18; have no idea when the proposed fee was raised if they also changed the frequency. It is my understanding that if you have a hunting-fishing-snowmobile license that you are already covered and don't need the Hike Safe card.
    Do I understand this correctly?

Since NH sells some sort of license to snowmobilers, they are very willing to pay for helping them when those same snowmobilers are negligent.

And they are happy to pay the cost of helping out negligent hikers and tourists too, but only if they pay for a walking pass in advance.

Yikes.

What a rip off. This is almost all Federal Land. What about the other 13 states? It looks like they are targeting out of state hikers with all the disclaimers for locals. It's funny that the same state that allows the trail club to apply 20 different names on signs for the Appalachian Trail encouraging lost hikers now wants to call them "negligent hikers" and then bill them when they need help. Is this the Appalachian Trail or the Franconia Ridge Trail like the sign says? If you leave a pot on the stove and the fire department has to put out the fire do they bill you? New Hampshire the "pay up or die" state.

I see this as pretty simple. Be a smart hiker, don't be negligent, and don't pay for the insurance. This is for a case of negligence right? Be smart and don't be a drain on emergency resources.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Everything I own is in my pack. So what. Sue me.

This makes the decision to take the risk or not so much easier.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

A friend of mine lived in CO a few years and found out that when he bought a fishing license (he didn't fish) he could opt for a similar type of rescue insurance. He said it was a well known thing among backcountry skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    I see this as pretty simple. Be a smart hiker, don't be negligent, and don't pay for the insurance. This is for a case of negligence right? Be smart and don't be a drain on emergency resources.
    The key is that the hiker won't be the one defining 'negligent'.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    A friend of mine lived in CO a few years and found out that when he bought a fishing license (he didn't fish) he could opt for a similar type of rescue insurance. He said it was a well known thing among backcountry skiers.
    That is common misconception. The CORSAR car is *not* insurance. It is something you purchase to help defray the costs of rescues as well as training of SAR people. It is a charitable donation with a fancy card basically.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DOLA-Main/CBON/1251592090523

The CORSAR Card Is Not Insurance
    The card is not insurance and does not reimburse individuals nor does it pay for medical transport. Medical transport includes helicopter flights or ground ambulance. If aircraft are used as a search vehicle, those costs are reimbursed by the fund. If the aircraft becomes a medical transport due to a medical emergency, the medical portion of the transport is not covered.

The NH program, OTOH, does appear to be an insurance.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

to be able to buy insurance against negligence sounds, well, negligent.very poorly though out.
    kinda like providing liability insurance for driving drunk.

Images

I would like to know the definition of "negligent"
    I did purchase a CORSAR card when I hiked the Colorado Trail this summer, I have no problem with helping out the SAR programs where I am hiking - I just night someday need their services, but I don't think 'negligence' had anything to do with the card, and, it does not cover air rescue - like MAGS said, it's not insurance, but it does help support SAR in Colorado.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Read the bill here:http://www.nhliberty.org/bills/view/2013/HB256

NH Fish and Game decides who is negligent with no clear definition of what constitutes negligence.
    There doesn't seem to be any method to appeal.
    If not paid within 30 days interest will accrue.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    leave a pot on the stove and the fire department has to put out the fire do they bill you? New Hampshire the "pay up or die" state.
    Actually yes. In your own Tennessee fire service paid for through subscription is rather common, and if you did not pay for the subscription service, the private company is under no obligation to save your property. The fire company may actually show up to protect your neighbor's property from your's, while watching your property burn. If the company does choose to put your fire out, you are liable and obligated to pay for the service. My great-grandfather actually owned such a subscription fire company.

I personally see such a fee as nothing more than an insurance premium. The reality though is that the ones who tend to be prudent will probably be the ones that pay the fee, and yet not put themselves in the position of needing a rescue... while the "hold my beer and watch this"
    crowd cant be bothered to.

Love how you got your jab in on the AMC
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 01-08-2014 at 21:40.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    to be able to buy insurance against negligence sounds, well, negligent.very poorly though out.
    i think Lloyd's of London will give you negligent insurance, at a cost
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Is the maximum liability 1K?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

NH Fish and Game has a very clear definition of 'negligent.' If they have to come get you out, you were negligent.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    Is the maximum liability 1K?
    That's how I read the bill.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++