WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping pad w/Frameless Pack

As part of my plan to experiment with a UL kit mainly for warm weather use, I just purchased a ULA CDT and have been playing around with loading it up with my gear.

I currently use a full length Thermarest Prolite 3 sleeping pad. Most of the reviews of the CDT and other frameless packs seem to advocate using a CCF pad (or part of a pad) as a backpanel. I found that deflating the Prolite and folding it in fifths enables me to place the pad along the back panel secured with the straps that are provided. I then load up the bottom of the pack with my sleeping pad (no stuff sack), add my food bag, stove, and various clothing (shelter will go in the front mesh pocket).

I found that slightly inflating the Prolite after everything is loaded takes up the small amount of remaining room and seems to give the pack structure. However, I am not sure if the structure provided by this setup will be as good as using a CCF pad like the Z Lite. Also (and this is a more minor concern) I'm somewhat concerned that sweat is going to totally saturate the Prolite through the back panel (I sweat quite a bit in summer) which could be aesthetically undesirable compared to being able to just wipe off the surface of a CCF pad. I'm thinking of accumulated funk over multiple days permanently embedded within the Prolite being hard to clean.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Not sure about the prolite, I use the SOlite 3/4 pa in my CDT and it works great! Even fits a bear can when needed. I have not used it with the back pad that came with the pack, but that should keep moisture out also. Not sure about "funk" getting through the pack to the pad. I was looking at the cuben CDT, but more $$$...

I though about the cuben CDT as well but $100 to save just a few ounces didn't appeal to me since the regular CDT seems like a good value at $135. But you're right, that would eliminate moisture getting through the back panel. It might be a minor issue anyway. Hard to know until I test it out.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Images

I have not had any issues with moisture getting through my CDT, but everything is already in waterproof sacks. I was thinking the cuben pack would let me use my umbrella more and not have to worry about water weight making the pack heavier. But, I'm with you on the $100 extra for a few ounces.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Here's my suggestion:

Buy the cheap blue CCF pad from WalMart and cut it to fit to make a back panel for the back-pack.

That way, you can keep your prolite clean and dry, and you can allow the blue CCF pad to double as a seat pad (I personally love to carry a piece of CCF because it can make an uncomfortable place to sit comfortable (and dry if everything around you is wet).

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Buy the cheap blue CCF pad from WalMart and cut it to fit to make a back panel for the back-pack.
    Good idea, thanks. Should be cheap to experiment with that material. I would try something similar with the foam included with the CDT but it seems so thin as to provide no support at all.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

I've used an older model ULA Conduit with an older model 3/4 length Prolite 3. Yes, the back of the pack gets saturated with my sweat. The way I fold the pad leaves the underside of the pad (the surface that's against the ground when sleeping) against the inside of the pack. That part of the pad is mostly waterproof/sweatproof based on my experiences and did not pick up moisture or funk. Good luck with your pack and pad.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I've used an older model ULA Conduit with an older model 3/4 length Prolite 3. Yes, the back of the pack gets saturated with my sweat. The way I fold the pad leaves the underside of the pad (the surface that's against the ground when sleeping) against the inside of the pack. That part of the pad is mostly waterproof/sweatproof based on my experiences and did not pick up moisture or funk. Good luck with your pack and pad.
    Great suggestion! I didn't think about which side of the pad to expose to the back panel.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    Good idea, thanks. Should be cheap to experiment with that material. I would try something similar with the foam included with the CDT but it seems so thin as to provide no support at all.
    This is more or less the approach I took with my CDT. I used the included foam as a template and cut off the bottom piece of an old RidgeRest CCF to use as the back panel. It's more firm than a blue pad, but at a weight penalty.

Images

I do exactly what you initially posted with my neoair. It works splendidly at least at my 8lb base. I have a very small pack, an MLD Burn so I rarely have to leave air in it but occasionally do especially if I have a hairy stream crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I do exactly what you initially posted with my neoair. It works splendidly at least at my 8lb base. I have a very small pack, an MLD Burn so I rarely have to leave air in it but occasionally do especially if I have a hairy stream crossing.
    Does the inflatable pad stand up well to the rigors of being carried partially inflated? I've seen what happens to cordura backpack components after a long time of slight abrasion from small movement during normal hiking. I'd be worried about the motion wearing holes in the neoair especially where it bends. Are the neoairs tougher than I think?

Edit: Reading comprehension points deducted for me. I just realized that you usually carry it uninflated.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Does the inflatable pad stand up well to the rigors of being carried partially inflated? I've seen what happens to cordura backpack components after a long time of slight abrasion from small movement during normal hiking. I'd be worried about the motion wearing holes in the neoair especially where it bends. Are the neoairs tougher than I think?

Edit: Reading comprehension points deducted for me. I just realized that you usually carry it uninflated.
    good question either way. I haven't seen any issues with it. Mi used a different pad, same concept on my thru. It leaked like a sieve but not from that. I keep all my gear in a trash compactor bag when it could get wet. In dry weather I only put the pad in the compactor bag so that may be offering protection from abrasion

Playing around with loading the pack a bit more, I found that I could put the thermarest inside my cuben pack liner rather than directly against the back panel secured with the straps and it still stays in place. So the moisture issue is a non issue as the pad is protected inside the dry bag. The pack feels pretty good loaded up with about twenty pounds simulating the maximum load I intend to carry with this setup (more typical total weight for a weekend or overnight in summer with this pack should be closer to 12-15). Any more than 20 pounds total weight and I'll go with my Circuit.

At least walking around the house at 20 pounds, weight transfer feels surprisingly decent to the hips and I feel no horrible pressure on the shoulders or any issues on my back. Obviously I need to get out on the trail to know for sure.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

ccf in compactor bag works great for me. do not carry an inflatable sleeping pad for fear of failure.

Because the 70d nylon bottom of the ProLite 3 is stronger than the one on many mats I would think that, as suggested, folding it so that bottom is on the outside should work.For others maybe just a "knee pad" from garden supply shops could be a good solution because some are of a denser foam than the Blue mat , are almost the right size already and should be less expensive too.

Images

I should have also mentioned that I tried to fold the pad various ways in order to minimize creasing.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    I though about the cuben CDT as well but $100 to save just a few ounces didn't appeal to me since the regular CDT seems like a good value at $135. But you're right, that would eliminate moisture getting through the back panel. It might be a minor issue anyway. Hard to know until I test it out.
    Cuben CDT saves no weight over the normal version. Pretty much the same for the Ohm too.

The normal makes use of lots of light nylon on 3 sides of the pack, and part of the top, the cuben hybrid is heavier.

Someone ordered a cuben CDT recently, and was "surprised" when it came out to be 21oz.

I prefer a more ridgid pad on the backpanel than an inflatable. A combo of short folded CCF torso pad and inflatable short pad works good for me in frameless packs to be comfy.

Honestly, the 1.5 oz hoop stay and load lifters of the Ohm and the better belt make it heads and shoulders above the CDT for only about 5 oz more.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-10-2014 at 23:16.

++ New Posts ++