WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

These guys have been ripping off thirty mile days for weeks. Wanderer, my son, started July 11th and has really surprised my with with his focus and stamina on this hike. He also will carry absolutely nothing but pure essentials. He doesn't even have a watch! His base pack weight is less than 7 pounds. Although I am going to Springer Monday, I do not expect to see them until Tuesday. I have booked reservations at the campground there and I am bringing a big feast!

Bill

Springer isn't homely. Or anti-climatic. Katahdin is over-rated.

Images

Is Wanderer having any fun on his journey? What's the point of doing that kind of mileage? I'm impressed with his determination but like Cap'n Nemo says "It's all about the roses, baby, it's all about the roses".

What can I say... The trail is experienced on many different levels and for different reasons. Everyone develops their own personal goals. Wanderer is a 19 y.o. athlete that goes hard all the time. I guess that smelling the roses will come later for him. I can tell you that he seems to be having the time of his life on his hike. I wish that I had done something like this when I was his age, when knees didn't hurt and you could lie down on a pile a rocks and be sound asleep in 1 minute. They say that youth is wasted on the young...

Regards,
    Bill

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by billdnc
    What can I say... The trail is experienced on many different levels and for different reasons. Everyone develops their own personal goals. Wanderer is a 19 y.o. athlete that goes hard all the time. I guess that smelling the roses will come later for him. I can tell you that he seems to be having the time of his life on his hike. I wish that I had done something like this when I was his age, when knees didn't hurt and you could lie down on a pile a rocks and be sound asleep in 1 minute. They say that youth is wasted on the young...
    Well said Bill! One of the great things I've seen about the AT over the years are the ever increasing number of father/son combos backpacking a section together. I've met several who do a section together each year. The ages cover everything from teens/30s to 40s/60s combos. And those are just ones that I've met on the trail in GA/NC. They all loved hiking together, and said it was something they looked forward to each year, like they did Christmas as a kid.

So what are you cooking up at the campground?

Images

Drahla Hiker, the flipflopper you mentioned is Live Strong. He hiked from Damascus north, and now headed south. (well, actually, he's probably finished now) We stayed at the Bear's Den the same night and hiked into Harper's Ferry on June 21 (hike naked day) FYI we didn't.... Red Hat

Quote Originally Posted by Drala Hiker
    Well said Bill! One of the great things I've seen about the AT over the years are the ever increasing number of father/son combos backpacking a section together. I've met several who do a section together each year. The ages cover everything from teens/30s to 40s/60s combos. And those are just ones that I've met on the trail in GA/NC. They all loved hiking together, and said it was something they looked forward to each year, like they did Christmas as a kid.

So what are you cooking up at the campground?
    The menu is a secret, but it will be cooked over a fire.

It's funny that you mentioned the father/ son thing. I asked Wanderer when he called in the other day if he would like to do a hike together and he immediately said " Washington State section of the PCT" -I fear that he is thinking about a Triple Crown. Well, he better finish college first! I am sure that I would slow him down, but I would love to show him trails that I have done out west and the no-trails trips I've done in Alaska. He'll find that the west is a lot different. Not necessarily better, but different.

Don King and Super T here, checking in from Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs, NC. We are leaving today after a "wait out the rain" zero yesterday...and will be into the Smokies by Tuesday.

Auggie, we saw Spud at Miss Janets and he told us you guys had hiked together for a while. It was great to hear of your progress and we heard some great stories (hiking in a catchers mask?!?) We think of you often, good to know you're still rumblin' along.

This is a bittersweet time for us. We're so excited to be on the 'home stretch' but it will hard to leave the freedom and the adventure of the trail. Time for lunch, and then some hiking!

-Super T
    Maine2Georgia.com
    A Southbound Adventure

Section Hiker

The menu is a secret, but it will be cooked over a fire.

It's funny that you mentioned the father/ son thing. I asked Wanderer when he called in the other day if he would like to do a hike together and he immediately said " Washington State section of the PCT" -I fear that he is thinking about a Triple Crown. Well, he better finish college first! I am sure that I would slow him down, but I would love to show him trails that I have done out west and the no-trails trips I've done in Alaska. He'll find that the west is a lot different. Not necessarily better, but different.
    Looks like the Real Fall arrived just as Wanderer is hitting the finish line. Cold and windy, yes, but no precip. Hope you got a good hot meal and a nice night's sleep before heading back to NC!

Looks like the Real Fall arrived just as Wanderer is hitting the finish line. Cold and windy, yes, but no precip. Hope you got a good hot meal and a nice night's sleep before heading back to NC!
    Wanderer showed up at the FSR 42 parking lot at 2:45 on Monday the 24th. His mother and I hike up the .9 mile trail to Springer Summit. Our son, who had already done 15 miles that day continued on down the 9 mile approach trail to the visitor center where we met him around 5 pm. It was 39 degrees and very windy on Springer and one of his coldest days on the trail. It was quite cold in the campsite last night - it must have gotten into the low 30's. Wanderer completed his thruhike - 106 days on the trail!

Section Hiker

Wanderer showed up at the FSR 42 parking lot at 2:45 on Monday the 24th. His mother and I hike up the .9 mile trail to Springer Summit. Our son, who had already done 15 miles that day continued on down the 9 mile approach trail to the visitor center where we met him around 5 pm. It was 39 degrees and very windy on Springer and one of his coldest days on the trail. It was quite cold in the campsite last night - it must have gotten into the low 30's. Wanderer completed his thruhike - 106 days on the trail!
    Great to hear that Bill. That same day they closed the road to Brasstown Bald due to ice. Guess the weather didn't lend itself to a nice, fire cooked meal.

Sure is great weather today. I'll be in the mountains shortly for the weekend!

Great to hear that Bill. That same day they closed the road to Brasstown Bald due to ice. Guess the weather didn't lend itself to a nice, fire cooked meal.

Sure is great weather today. I'll be in the mountains shortly for the weekend!
    There should be a number of SOBO's finishing over the next days and weeks. Amicalola Falls State Park is a pretty place with one of the highest waterfalls in the south. See http://gastateparks.org/info/amicalola/ . If you are meeting your SOBO, You can stay at the lodge, cabins($ 110 with 2 night min.) or the campsites( $ 20). Apparently all of these fill up fast during leaf season. You can make reservations at (800) 864-7275. The campsites are all designed for rv's with hookups, but some have nice sites for tents. It was a quiet campground with a nice bath house. You can meet your hiker .9 of a mile from the Springer summit at the FSR 42 parking lot and hke to the summit with him or her. You can get driving directions at the visitors center. The "preferred route", FSR 42, is slightly smoother but longer than the second route which goes up FSR 77. The park discourages this latter route saying it is so rough and steep. I went up one and down the other and can tell you that just about any car, unless it is really low to the ground,could do either one. You might want 4wd if it is wet or icy. A pleasant place to end an epic hike.

Super T and Don King checking in from Franklin, NC. The weather has been perfect and the views from on top of the balds have been AMAZING. Onward to Georgia! Our expected completion date is Nov 9. a.m.

:banana where ru?

I heard the sobohobos got split up...did bouie and hee haw finally meet up?!

Section Hiker - 900 miles TooTall's Avatar

Default Pinball Wizard finished

He started from Harpers Ferry north to Katahdin then flipped and went south to Springer and finished two weeks ago.
    "He who knows others is learned; he who knows himself is wise." - Tao Te Ching

Checking in from Damascus - there is a large contingent of SOBO's here today! Myself and Frogger (the Sobohobos - any rumors of our demise were greatly exaggerated), Bouie, Hee-Haw, Steiner, Goldfish, D-Spo, Bumfoot, Pokey, Harvest Moon, Firefly and Wasso. Two other SOBO's, Bad Cheese and Stale Crackers, are a day ahead. We're all looking to the Kincorra Hostel and Ms. Janet's, both of which we've heard so much about.

There is a SOBO party on Nov. 19th that is being set up and hosted by Strider and Sidetrack, in Sylva, NC, with shuttles and places to stay, not to mention massive amounts of food - basically one last chance for SOBO's up and down the trail to see each other. Details in terms of shuttles, times, and who to contact can be found on the front page of our website, www.sobohobos.com - Hope to see all those that we know ahead of us (and there are a lot of them!) there.

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake
    Our expected completion date is Nov 9. a.m.
    There's two very happy young men on Springer right about now!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    There's two very happy young men on Springer right about now!
    Hey all,

Don King (UCONNMIKE) and I Super T (RITBlake) finished our thru hike at about 10 a.m. on Nov 9th. We were met by family and friends atop Springer Mtn for a most amazing finish to an incredible journey.

TJ was right. We were very happy that morning! Much more to come and as always you can read more and see pics of our finish on our site. Thanks all!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Congratulations UCONNMIKE and Super T! Glad to hear that you made it. Looking forward to your pictures.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Congrats to RITBlake and UCONNMIKE.... enjoy the memories.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++