WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I'm still experimenting with homemade alcohol stoves, so far, the regular old soda can one has been my favorite. Haven't made a fancy feast stove yet though. I don't have a cat!
    Zelph's Fancee Feest stove is a bit different than the familiar Super Cat stove which is made from a Fancee Feest cat food can and sometimes also called a Fancee Feest Stove. Not sure which one you would try to make. The Super Cat is super easy to make, but as a side-burner, it might not be too efficient with that pot. For me, stove sthat didn't need a pot stand turned out to be an ounce-wise and pound-foolish endeavor, in that I've tipped over and lost a few meals without a nice wide stable pot stand. For a fraction of an oz, a good pot stand it worth it to me. Those who are less clumsy than me can get away with it.

I've been using the Starlyte stove which as mentioned above doesn't spill (pretty neat feature). I'm using the variation with out the built in pot stand, but I didn't want that anyway. The advantage of this model is that it has a lid that seals tight so when you're done with burn, just blow out the stove and leave the excess fuel in it and cap it when it cools. No need to measure fuel or guess how much you might need. Just fill to the top and light it. You won't run short or waste extra fuel if your estimate is not quite perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Zelph's Fancee Feest stove is a bit different than the familiar Super Cat stove which is made from a Fancee Feest cat food can and sometimes also called a Fancee Feest Stove. Not sure which one you would try to make. The Super Cat is super easy to make, but as a side-burner, it might not be too efficient with that pot. For me, stove sthat didn't need a pot stand turned out to be an ounce-wise and pound-foolish endeavor, in that I've tipped over and lost a few meals without a nice wide stable pot stand. For a fraction of an oz, a good pot stand it worth it to me. Those who are less clumsy than me can get away with it.

I've been using the Starlyte stove which as mentioned above doesn't spill (pretty neat feature). I'm using the variation with out the built in pot stand, but I didn't want that anyway. The advantage of this model is that it has a lid that seals tight so when you're done with burn, just blow out the stove and leave the excess fuel in it and cap it when it cools. No need to measure fuel or guess how much you might need. Just fill to the top and light it. You won't run short or waste extra fuel if your estimate is not quite perfect.
    Interesting, will certainly look into it. I agree with a pot stand. I've used an alcohol stove that was also the pot stand. It WAS stable, but after double checking a few times to make sure it was level and secure. The pot stand I'm using now is sized perfectly with my pot and any excess was trimmed off to save some grams. It is very stable, grips my pot well, and doesnt need to be on a perfectly level surface to be used.

As for people mentioning dropping the measuring cup, I just can't get myself to do that for how little it weighs. Plus I use it when comparing fuel efficiencies of diff alcohol stoves. Helps me know exactly how much fuel I'm putting in. I guess when I'm set that this stove is the one I'll be using everyday for the next 6 months. I can take a nail and scratch some measuring marks on the inside of my stove. Then I can leave that measuring cup at home. But at 0.08oz, and it may make some of you ultra lighters cringe, it's weight is worth it to me cause it's one of the most used pieces of my cook set. Use it every time.

Furthermore, a lot of people when comparing weights of cook sets do not include the weight of the pot cozy, the fuel bottle, etc. So I just wanted to educate people on starting their own cook set and what they need to consider. For example, my fuel bottle weighs an 1.10oz. Relative to other pieces of my kitchen, it's heavy. But hey, it's kind of essential.

I may look into purchasing a smaller fuel bottle for overnights and two night trips. Could save 1/2 to 3/4 of an ounce. I'm on a quest to find one that fit inside my cook set but holds 3-4oz of liquid.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Furthermore, a lot of people when comparing weights of cook sets do not include the weight of the pot cozy, the fuel bottle, etc. So I just wanted to educate people on starting their own cook set and what they need to consider. For example, my fuel bottle weighs an 1.10oz. Relative to other pieces of my kitchen, it's heavy. But hey, it's kind of essential.
    Good point. I have yet to make a Cozy and for fuel, I'm just using the HEET bottles. My problem is that I don't yet have a good feel for how much fuel I need per day. I don't want to use a bottle that is too small and run out in the middle of a hike. I would rather carry some extra fuel so I can have that extra cup of coffee in the morning or some hot water to wash my face if I fell like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Good point. I have yet to make a Cozy and for fuel, I'm just using the HEET bottles. My problem is that I don't yet have a good feel for how much fuel I need per day. I don't want to use a bottle that is too small and run out in the middle of a hike. I would rather carry some extra fuel so I can have that extra cup of coffee in the morning or some hot water to wash my face if I fell like it.
    Exactly why I still use my little measuring cup on the regular. Typically, I use 3/4 of a ounce of HEET with my setup to bring 2 cups of water to boil for about a minute or two. I always boil with the lid on as it helps a ton. Furthermore, I use about 1/4-1/3 ounce to bring water hot enough for my morning tea and oatmeal. So typically, If I cook breakfast and dinner, I use about an Ounce a Day. So I typically carry 1-2 more ounces of fuel than I need. Just in case I wanna cook something extra, use it as a firestarter, purify some water if need be, etc.

I used to transfer HEET to another bottle but now I just take the HEET bottle. I'm not that obsessed with ounces...yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++