WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Assist Dog on the AT

I'll be restarting my hike this Spring, although doing it as a sectioner. Since last on the Trail, my hearing has gone from just pretty bad to just about nada, and I've gotten a cochlear implant, which I can't easily wear while hiking and not at all while sleeping. As a result, I'll probably bring Chase The Rocket Dog, who is my well-trained Lab "alert dog," who I depend on to be alerted to most sounds while hiking or lying down. (Those with very long memories on WB will please stifle their laughter at the idea of me hiking with a dog.) I'm curious if anyone has any experience with hearing-assistance dogs on the AT or other trails. I have verified that Chase can accompany me in areas that are otherwise dog-restricted.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

know nothing about assist dogs, but i wish yous two the best what section you doing?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Best of luck on your hike. And which one of you old dogs is older in dog years?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

While I'm not extensively knowledgeable about the AT in general, I think (based on what I can remember from past discussions) that the ONLY place pets are restricted on the trail is through the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.I've been involved in discussions regarding service dogs in the GSMNP, and unfortunately, I don't recall all the details of those discussions. But the bottom line of those discussions (based on documents that could be found at the time) was that service animals, as defined by the ADA (which basically included animals that provided a service, NOT animals used as 'emotional support') were allowed.However, because the GSMNP doesn't publish much information about service dogs (they mostly only publish the rules that 'pets' are not allowed in the back country), I don't recall exactly what you had to do to be allowed to bring your service animal. I THINK you were required to obtain a permit from the rangers office, so before you head into the GSMNP, you should at least call the GSMNP back country office and ask what is the proper procedure for bringing your service animal into the park.

Images

I'll be picking up about 20 miles north of Mt Rogers. Chase has got me beat in age, probably, but he's also in better shape. As for permits, "assist dogs" are generally limited to seeing-eye (blindness) and alert (deafness) dogs; others ("emotional" assistance) are not covered the same way by ADA. "Permits" or "registration" aren't necessary, or even formal/certified training, although I carry a collar tag for Chase showing he is designated as an "alert dog". I'm past GSMNP, but approaching (one day!) Shenandoah, which will be hinky about dogs, too. Mostly, I'm interested in whether anyone has trail experience with an alert dog, since this would be Chase's longest walk.

The Weasel

PS: Baxter is also dog-excluding, as I recall. I've got a while to plan that one, though.
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Shenendoahs aren't a problem.. There is only one small (half a mile?) jointed trail that has a "no dogs" sign.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    PS: Baxter is also dog-excluding, as I recall. I've got a while to plan that one, though.
    Baxter is no ifs ands or buts. No way, no how. It's unlikely a dog could make it up that trail without a lot of assist anyway. There is really nothing to hear there except the wind blowing anyway.

If Chase can alert you to people coming up from behind, that's about all you'd need him for. You don't want or need him to alert you to every little forest sound, especially at night.

BTW, I've meet a couple of deaf hikers on the AT and they had no trouble on thier own.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Basically, if it's a certified service animal, and you carry the certificate with you, you can bring the dog the entire length of the trail.
    http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Good luck on your hike!
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

what's he suppose to do leave Chase at home? that ain't happening
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Weasel! It's great to see you posting again. I have missed seeing you around here.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

The Weasel
    Have a good trip with you companion. Rolls
    Last edited by Rolls Kanardly; 01-15-2014 at 15:06.
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Basically, if it's a certified service animal, and you carry the certificate with you, you can bring the dog the entire length of the trail.
    http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Good luck on your hike!
    What certificate? Certified by who?

From what I recall about previous discussions on the topic, one of the problems in dealing with people who try to 'fake' their pets as service animals is that there is no nationally recognized certification process and therefore no national "certificate" (however, some states to have certification processes).

However, I did find the memo I previously referenced. It is a memo from the U.S. Department of the Interior to National Park Superintendents. It provides guidance on how the ADA should be applied to service animals in National Parks. It generally requires that service animals be allowed where ever the public is allowed (i.e. not subject to regulations concerning 'pets'), but it still provides Superintendents a few 'loop holes' that would allow them to even exclude service animals in limited situations.

So it would seem that you should EXPECT a legitimate service animal could go anywhere you do. But because there's always loop holes, it would always be prudent to contact authorities of any place you plan to take a service animal to determine exactly how they are applying/complying with the ADA.

Images

1) As for Baxter, the Federal ADA trumps Baxter State Park regulations. Chase goes anywhere in that park, as long as I'm with him.
    2) Thanks for telling me I don't need to hear anything on the AT. I disagree. There's a lot to hear, both for safety and for other reasons. If you really feel that way, make sure you plug your ears when you hit the trail.
    3) Chase doesn't stay at home. He disapproves of being left behind for anything. Trains, planes, automobiles, boats. He's game.
    4) ADA doesn't require "certification" for blind/hearing-alert dogs. That's a myth; there is no set of standards for training, but it's largely self-determining. But if you try to fake it, there are some nasty penalties.
    5) Thanks, Tuck; nice to be here again. I'm a lot closer to Williamsburg now.

The Weasel

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    If I know you are hiking and I am close by Chase better be hungry cause I will pack a chewy or two for you to give to him. I could never take my GSP female on the AT. She would think a bear is a big fuzzy play toy. Rolls

Thanks, but generally it's considered most polite by the handicapped crowd to sort of ignore a working service animal, since it kind of puts the dog's companion off-stride (figuratively as well as literally). But I appreciate the thought. Unlike your GSP, Chase is "on the job" and needs to focus on that. Trust me: I pay him well. (Smile)

As for "contacting" people about service animals, most blind/deaf/Hard of Hearing ("HOH") people know the types of "few" exceptions, and life's too short for me to call every place I'm going ahead of time. So far as hiking the AT and most other trails, there won't be exclusions for seeing eye-hearing alert dogs. Overall, tho, HooKoo, you're right (thanks).

But I remain interested in anyone with experience on the AT with a service animal.

The Weasel

As is the Bear Mtn Zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    As is the Bear Mtn Zoo.
    Service dogs are allowed in zoos per ADA, but the nature of the exhibits may disallow the dog. For example, an open air zoo exhibit that lacks a restraining barrier. I can't address the Bear Mt Zoo though as it was closed when I passed that way. After closing time, the official route goes around the zoo if that is important to you.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

The universal indication of a dog's being a dog for the deaf is an ORANGE leash. Because of the myth that there are people behind every tree falsely claiming to need a service dog, I carry my doctor's prescription with Fleur and me at all times. No one has the right to demand it of me because of its being essentially a private medical record, but I do not mind showing it in some instances. For instance, I whip it out when we arrive at the check-in counter at Southwest. In exchange, we are whisked right through and are allowed to board before the general public in order to have a chance to choose a seat that will allow Fleur the best comfort on the floor. (bulkhead) I do not know whether you are beginning 20 miles north or south of Mt. Rogers. NOBO? SOBO?
    Perhaps we will meet on the trail as I live in the vicinity and will be giving Fleur a lot of time out there.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

1) As for Baxter, the Federal ADA trumps Baxter State Park regulations. Chase goes anywhere in that park, as long as I'm with him.
    2) Thanks for telling me I don't need to hear anything on the AT. I disagree. There's a lot to hear, both for safety and for other reasons. If you really feel that way, make sure you plug your ears when you hit the trail.

The Weasel
    Don't be too sure about #1. The park can deny access for pretty much any reason they want and if they have to deny you access to prevent a dog from entering, that is within thier right. Although it called a state park, it really isn't. In any event, they wouldn't allow you to climb the Hunt trail with a dog strickly for safety reasons. Finally, you really should respect rules forbiding pets from certain wilderness areas simply because it is the right and moral thing to do.

As for #2, I kind of envy you to some extent. Not having hear the tent flapping in the wind or rain beating on a tin roof or the guy next to you snoring all night is actually a blessing. The only real down side is not being able to easialy converse with people, but that too can be a blessing at times.

As for #3, I don't own a dog for the very reasons you don't want to leave him home.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

At Baxter State Park
    left to right: Jean Hoekwater of Baxter State Park; Bill Irwin, Appalachian Trail thru-hiker and author of "Blind Courage"; Orient or one of Bill's successor guide dogs; Buzz Caverly, then director of Baxter State Park; Jay Beveridge ("Moose Legs", AT name originated by Buzz, 2x Appalachian Trail thru-hiker)
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6AYNKwjP2JGAyfs2wtd2la2CVnFDW-UDgof1rGKCwiw

Slo-go'en, this is the Dogs on the AT subforum. Under the ADA, which is a law passed by Congress, people have the right to bring their service dogs into state parks. They are also allowed on federal land through the rehab act and the Dept of Interior adheres to the ADA as well. Service dogs are not pets they are working animals. A person utilizing a service dog is exercising their rights under the law. You can't keep popping into threads in this subforum telling people they can't/shouldn't bring their service dog where they are legally allowed to. You are discriminating against the disabled. Are you going to tell someone they can't bring their hearing aids, their medications, perhaps their prosthesis because you think they could do without it? This subforum is not set up for people to argue whether dogs should be on the trail and that includes service dogs. It's set up for people to educate hikers about good trail dog behavior. Having a service dog in a legal location is a legitimate and acceptable post.

The picture above is from Baxter. Can't say what their policy is but it looks welcoming. I sent an email out to the ME State Attorney General's office for further clarification. The AG sits on the BSP Authority.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Don't be too sure about #1. The park can deny access for pretty much any reason they want and if they have to deny you access to prevent a dog from entering, that is within thier right. Although it called a state park, it really isn't. In any event, they wouldn't allow you to climb the Hunt trail with a dog strickly for safety reasons.
    Weasel,
    When I suggest you contact authorities, I don't mean for everywhere you go... just for the places you know you could run into problems.
    Base on what's been discussed in this thread so far, it sounds like the only places along the whole AT we're talking about is GSMNP, SNP, & Baxter.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Finally, you really should respect rules forbiding pets from certain wilderness areas simply because it is the right and moral thing to do.
    Slo-go'en,
    IMHO, you are either out-of-line, or your statement is irrelevant to the discussion.
    While your statement is absolutely correct (everyone should respect rules concerning pets), we're not talking about pets; we're talking about service animals.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++