WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Compass?

Images

I carry a small button compass. Sometimes I find it handy to orient myself in a new town.

I carried a small protractor compass (lightest one I could find; 0.8 oz). Never used it on the entire hike. Carried some maps at the beginning. Sent them home. Bought a map of the Whites when I got near there. Glad I did. I found the multiple name changes of the AT trail confusing. I'd refer to the map at each jct. Didn't need the compass to figure the correct trail.

Personally, I don't ever go in the backcountry w/o a compass. An electronic version (watch, smart phone, etc) can quit on you. Your compass should hold up for multiple long hikes.

I carry one now because I have always carried one. I could easily do without it but I won't. In fact I just got a new one. The old one was scratched and nicked up to the point it was hard to read.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If you can see landmarks, and shoot bearings, a baseplate compass can show you precisely where you ARE on a map.

In the woods, a compass will not tell you where you ARE, because you cant see anything most of the time, and on much of the AT the surrounding hills and ridges are unremarkable anyway.
    It is reduced to a tool that shows you directions. To make use of it, you need to already have a fairly good idea of where you are on a map.
    If you know how to use them, a topographical map, compass and barometric altimeter can be used to fix a position as accurately as a GPS, with no satellites required, without being able to see very far head.

Have you ever been caught above treeline, in the fog? Map, compass and altimeter can save your life. That 100 feet of line you are supposed to carry can be strung out from one cairn while you search for the next one. Use a slip knot and when you find the next cairn, just give the line a good tug. Repeat until you find our way out.

From a search and rescue perspective, it could be considered careless and reckless to head out without these simple items.

Journal Entries

I had one, it disappeared about the same time as my Springer rock disappeared. Used the iPhone (mainly GPS but the compass as well) + sun position from then on to Katahdin.

The thing about using a compass on a AT thru, since you are not carrying maps, just the guide book it is far less useful then on other hikes.
    Last edited by Starchild; 01-15-2014 at 11:02.

Images

I always carry a compass and maps when hiking on the AT. To date, I've never had to use them together for navigation. I'm pretty good at reading maps and elevation profiles which makes it easy to keep track of where I am. I have used a compass in the same way as some previous posters, to find out where the sun will rise, and with a map to figure out exactly which mountains I'm looking at from a summit. I've used my compass to figure out what direction I'm oriented as I look at the radar on my phone and then look up to see the storms on the horizon to figure out if they will hit me or pass me. That sums up my compass use on the AT. I have gotten on the wrong trail or gone the wrong way on the AT by mistake(read: not paying attention to what I'm doing) but I've never gone more than 1/4 - 1/2 a mile before realizing my error. The AT is pretty easy to follow and if you can tell the difference between walking uphill and downhill then you can keep track of where you are by using the elevation profiles on the map and in the guidebooks. I'm glad I have my compass even if I don't need it. It's an ounce of weight so there really is no penalty for carrying it. I treat it like a piece of emergency gear most of the time, like the space blanket I've carried for 12 years and never used.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Simple compass with a baseplate - yes. Most often I used it to determine if I was going to be able to see a sunrise . I would bring it again. It can be a valuable tool. Chances are good that it won't be needed. I know how to use it and like to have it.
    Yep, this. Mine is 0.9 ounces, Y-not. Cell phone has map/compass/gps, but nice to have a little backup.

Thanks to all for the extra knowledge.

I'm sure folks have. You don't need one though.

I know how to read a map and I didn't carry one.

I carry one that's about the same diameter as a dime. I've used it a couple of times for orienting my tent during setup.

Never used trail maps or compass on any of my AT thru's. An altimeter and a data book is so much more useful. On the PCT and CDT maps are an absolute must (plus altimeter and compass helps).
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    Did any Appalachian Trail hiker actually carry a compass with them?
    Yes, I wore a Sunnto Vector w/ compass and altitude features. Had my own maps less than 1/2 the thru-hike which IMO weren't critical to 3 season AT thru-hiking. Didn't use either extensively out of necessity though during typical thru-hiking season(Mar-Oct). I used those features mainly to practice navigation on an easy to find well blazed rather hard to get lost hike in prep for what I knew I'd be doing in the future. A watch helps with trail logistics in several potentially important ways.

Images

i use a compass with maps fairly frequently and love having one but do not think you need one on the AT - - it's really so very straightforward - - I've been a little turned around on the AT and missed the trail in a lot of snow but even then a short backtrack solves the problem.

This is the most intelligent response, from my perspective as a geologist with 35 yrs experience. When you are lost you want to be able to plot your location on your map. The compass and altimeter help to limit the possibilities of your location. This can be as simple as measuring the strike of a trail or road, and finding unique areas where this strike corresponds with your altitude. I've used this method to pinpoint my location in even stands of tall trees, where otherwise you would wander lost for miles...

Of course the map, compass, and altimeter are only useful if you know how to use them. I would add that it's useful to have a see-thru protractor and a sharp pencil to plot bearings on your paper map.

Forget battery powered gadgets. Ask rescue personnel about all the lost people who relied on gadgets that didn't work when needed. This is an intelligence test!

Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post
    If you know how to use them, a topographical map, compass and barometric altimeter can be used to fix a position as accurately as a GPS, with no satellites required, without being able to see very far head.

Have you ever been caught above treeline, in the fog? Map, compass and altimeter can save your life. That 100 feet of line you are supposed to carry can be strung out from one cairn while you search for the next one. Use a slip knot and when you find the next cairn, just give the line a good tug. Repeat until you find our way out.

From a search and rescue perspective, it could be considered careless and reckless to head out without these simple items.

Journal Entries
    Images

I carried one on the AT. Never used it. Never needed to. Blazes! I should have used it! What the blazes is wrong with me!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I'm a surveyor.....yes I keep a map and a compass with me. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    I carried one on the AT. Never used it. Never needed to. Blazes! I should have used it! What the blazes is wrong with me!
    Did you carry basic first aid supplies with you? A compass is no different.
    Last edited by Foresight; 01-17-2014 at 00:08.

Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post

Sounds reasonable and it can be good advice but go ahead and try the compass, map, and altimeter way to navigate in a featureless flat limited visibility navigational situation for many miles on a trek and you'll start grasping how useful GPS can be! I'm not a big GPS guy myself but I certainly have learned to appreciate it's uses on non AT type remote flat desert or flat Arctic hiking conditions. It's not always that easy getting all the paper maps for extremely long hikes at a scale that is most desirable for map/compass navigation requiring greater navigational accuracy. Sometimes, being off route(and I am mainly referring to routes not well signed super hiking highways in largely front country environs like the AT) a short distance can be critical on some treks. It makes sense understanding the times when either/or OR BOTH should be used.

I like the string idea from cairn to cairn in limited visibility situations but that's going to have limited use IMO. 100 ft would rarely be enough length for one example. Sometimes, in real limited visibility situations it might just make more sense to stop where you are rather than continuing into White Outs, heavy fog, sandstorms, etc.

Overall though I like your principle of being prepared. That's obviously excellent advice. It meshes nicely with the situation those 3 people who were rescued in GSMNP.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    i use a compass with maps fairly frequently and love having one but do not think you need one on the AT - - it's really so very straightforward - - I've been a little turned around on the AT and missed the trail in a lot of snow but even then a short backtrack solves the problem.
    I was never 'lost" but have missed a blaze and found myself on a trail but not the AT. Map and compass got me back on the AT without backtracking.

One time this happened was in Va. I was trying to get to a resupply or hostel at the road in Troutsville(?) Troutsdale(?) Troutsburg (?). AWOL's guidebook said go east and I did (by compass). Only after walking a couple of hours and not seeing any signs of civilization did I look at the fine print - the assumption that East is always to the right for a NOBO (duh!). Was able to road walk the remainder of the day (not fun) and reconnected to the AT at the Partnership shelter. So the compass (or lack of reading skills) got me in trouble but it and a map got me back to the AT without a backtrack.

I normally have two. My watch has one and the second is for confirmation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++