WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How Did You Make Time to Thru Hike?

A friend at work asked me how everybody arranges time to hike the entire AT.

Right now I am a section hiker (Very short distances by your standards). I do plan to go for it after I retire in two years.

The only ideas I could come up with were:

1. Already Retired

2. Independently wealthy (enough to cover mortgage payments, food for the family, etc.)

3. Just out of college

Please give me your real answers.

Thanks in advance.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I told my employer of my plans and asked for a leave of absence. The best they would offer was 3 months, the equivalent of male maternity leave. I respectfully resigned on the spot and gave them a one months notice, which I did fully work.

Ironically, when I got back from my hike (6 months and 10 days later) I called some of my old friends at work. Word got back to the business unit director and he offered me my old job back. I told him that if I wasn't good enough for a leave of absence then his job certainly wasn't something I needed ...especially after just spending 6+ months out of pocket.

I had a lot of second thoughts regarding my decision but this was something I had waited WAY too long to do. I've never looked back and I've never regretted my decision.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    Last edited by Footslogger; 07-28-2005 at 14:45.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Made the right choices and decisions early on. It's all about choices.

I finished college, worked for a year to make money and then off I went. After my hike, it was grad school time.
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Made the right choices and decisions early on. It's all about choices.
    I am a little behind you here. I am less than 3K of having my mortgage paid off but I have the vehicles and some other debt to pay for. Should have everything "free and clear" in less than two years at age 47.

My advice would be to get what you want early in life and don't worry about keeping up with the Jones'. I have seen so many of my friends that continue to mortgage themselves (aka upgrading) to the limit of their means and then some. They will forever be a slave to the banks. This leaves nothing for personal enjoyment. All their money is going to the "FatCats."

LIVE within your means and don't be a slave to the banks would be my advice.

It's a pretty simple concept, work, save money, quit work, hike!

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    It's a pretty simple concept, work, save money, quit work, hike!
    That's my plan for '07 onward.

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

I'm asking for a leave of absence in Feb. If I get it... cool! If not, I'm giving my 30 days and I'm out the door either way. We have been saving all year for our thru-hike. I agree with Lone Wolf, It's about choices.
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

1972, No deferment, Vietnam era, 6 month delayed enlistment in the airforce. Went into basic in better shape than when I left. What a great hike.
    Jeff

No one said Save, Quit work, Divorce , and then Hike
    :bananaSkeeter
    I am not here for a long time I am here for a good time

Images

Divorces are (can be) expensive and would eat up all your savings.

'Slogger

Images

Fake your death and collect th insurance
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I'm with Sly - three times I saved money for a few years, quit my job and went hiking. I hiked in 1988, 1992, 1999 and 2000. Now, five years later, we're planning to head out again. Only 8 months until I can give notice!

My husband took a leave of absence the first time. They told him that his job would probably not be open when he came back, but officially it would remain a LOA so he could keep his insurance. Sure enough, when he returned he had to look for a new job. The second time he just quit. Next time he'll retire.

It isn't easy starting over each time, not knowing where we'll live or what we'll do. It isn't easy putting everything in storage and giving up your home. (On previous hikes I was renting; this time we own a home and will either rent it out or sell it.) Going hiking with no clue what the future holds is interesting. It takes a certain leap of faith to take that kind of risk. But for some of us, it is worth it.

The majority of hikers are either at the beginning or end of their careers. But there are a fair number of us middle folks, who would rather hike than build a career, or continue a career that no longer gives pleasure. You'll meet a lot of burned out engineers and social workers on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by glessed

Right now I am a section hiker (Very short distances by your standards). I do plan to go for it after I retire in two years.

The only ideas I could come up with were:

1. Already Retired

2. Independently wealthy (enough to cover mortgage payments, food for the family, etc.)

3. Just out of college

Please give me your real answers.

Thanks in advance.

I was between significant careers and had just ended my first marriage. I had no significant responsibilities and could make the time. This coincided nicely with a small inheritance from my grandparents which went directly into the gear and operating expenses fund.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Images

Eating many baloney sandwiches and resorting to a college diet. I'm fortunate enough that I think I'll be able to get my job back--although I'm not sure I wanna do that (CTO). My wife is quitting a medical front office job, which isn't that big of a deal. It may be open when she gets back but no bigge.

home--I have a mortgage about a grand a month and I'll be saving up for that since there's no guarantees that a person will make it to katahdin.

Car-not sure what to do--it's paid for and 10 years old and I like it, so i'm hoping my parents can keep it and maybe drive it once a week---

kids---my daughter doesn't live with us so...we're free except our kitties/birds ---once again hopefully my parents will take them--- gonna miss them horribly...

$$$---after all the expensive crap I've been buying--the trip is now unaffordable-I think we'll return it all and hike the whole thing buck nekkid...
    Actually, just got out of cc debt 18 months ago---hopefully my budget sheet can push out an extra grand a month for the trip-- 30 something and time ain't slowing down..

...spoiled rotten and often found ruining the bunch...

the reason I'm going now---my neck, shoulders, back can't take another 10 years @ the computer--so I have to take a break if I want to continue in this field...
    Last edited by soulrebel; 07-28-2005 at 16:38.

Quote Originally Posted by glessed
    Actually it is very easy once you realize you only have a limited number of ticks on the clock. In fact minutes are truly the only thing you actually do own. Most people by things, I prefer to buy freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    I told my employer of my plans and asked for a leave of absence. The best they would offer was 3 months, the equivalent of male maternity leave. I respectfully resigned on the spot and gave them a one months notice, which I did fully work.
    Good for you! I know it doesn't put money in your pocket or food on the table but, for what it is worth I admire you for following your dream and sticking to your guns. Thanks for posting. You are a personal hero of mine.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dream
    Good for you! I know it doesn't put money in your pocket or food on the table but, for what it is worth I admire you for following your dream and sticking to your guns. Thanks for posting. You are a personal hero of mine.
    =================================
    Thanks, but I will tell you my one regret in terms of the AT ...not having followed my dream when I was younger.

Better late than never, I guess.

All the best ...

'Slogger

I think Spiritwalker and SoulRebel are onto the key points: resisting the urge to buy new cars and add onto the house can really free up some time and $ for trips in the woods. Its great when both spouses like to hike, thus encourage each other in these matters. It is also easier, as so many have said, when family obligations are minimal. We have two sons out on their own, and only one living parent, who is in great health. Beginning to plan for March '07, GA to ME.

Slow and steady does the trick... AbeHikes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger

Ironically, when I got back from my hike (6 months and 10 days later) I called some of my old friends at work. Word got back to the business unit director and he offered me my old job back. I told him that if I wasn't good enough for a leave of absence then his job certainly wasn't something I needed ...especially after just spending 6+ months out of pocket.
    Wow. I REALLY like that. Surely you were prepared to quit when you gave your notice the first time. "Don't bluff unless you can go through with it" kind of thing...

I've had more than one employer try to play hardball with me in similar situations. The only job I ever had a hard time finding was this last one and I still didn't have it as bad as some others.

I have to say it again. I REALLY like that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++