WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: suggestions

Default suggestions

Anyone familiar with Loft Mountain Campground in the SNP as a base for some day hikes and possible overnighters in June for moderate hiking?

Suggestions for other locations in the general area welcome, too.

Thanks!

I couldn't tell you about hiking, but a few years back I spent a night there on a bicycle tour. I saw the biggest bear I have ever seen sunning itself on the Skyline Drive. It stretched nearly all the way across an entire lane. At the campground a deer eat through and nearly destroyed pannier bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Anyone familiar with Loft Mountain Campground in the SNP as a base for some day hikes and possible overnighters in June for moderate hiking?

Suggestions for other locations in the general area welcome, too.

Thanks!
    Hello Hoop - See if you can get a copy of Johnny Malloy's Day and Overnight Hikes for the Shenandoah National Park. A couple of hikes I can recommend are: Rocky Mount Loop - 9.8 miles. Falls Loop from Browns Gap - 6.6 miles. Hazletop-Rapidan Camp Loop - 7.2 miles.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

When I hiked all of the AT in SNP via day hikes, I usually base-camped at Lewis Mountain campground. It's the smallest of the Park's 4 campgrounds and thus quieter. It's reasonably central to the Park's Central and South Districts.

I suggest contacting the PATC for their guide on circuit hikes in SNP.

Images

The Doyles River/Jones Run Trail(s) goes past three nice waterfalls and combines with the AT for a nice loop, maybe 9 miles or so. Considered one of the best hikes in SNP. From Loft Mountain head south, Doyle River Trail splits to the left turns and parallels the AT a good ways down from the ridge, turns into the Jones Run Trail, and then climbs back up and rejoins the AT about maybe 4 miles south. From there make a right and head north on the AT back to Loft Mountain. Approximately 9 miles with some pretty good downs and then ups. Agree strongly with getting a book and map on hikes in the area. Lots of trails to make great loop hikes with from Loft Mountain and from other campgrounds.

The SNP website has quite a few loop hikes listed and mapped out, spread throughout the park. I'm sure at least a couple might be of interest.

++ New Posts ++