WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

A pillow case full of almost cold beer in the middle of nowhere at the end of a hot day. Checked around for a bit, sat down and gave’er hell for fifteen minutes then moved on with a little extra pep in my step

Quote Originally Posted by pipsissewa View Post
    Near Dover, NY?

Attachment 25674
    Yep, that's it, "gate of heaven"
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

In 1986 I was hiking over Hump mountain in Tenn. on the north side of the mountain as I reentered the woods I recall seeing a moonshine still in the woods a few feet off the trail. I did not stop to take pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    I wonder if it takes EZPass?
    I would have guessed this was found in New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by TaDa View Post
    In 1986 I was hiking over Hump mountain in Tenn. on the north side of the mountain as I reentered the woods I recall seeing a moonshine still in the woods a few feet off the trail. I did not stop to take pictures.
    I would have ashed if they give tasting tours.

Once while hiking in the Ocala National Forest (Northern Florida), I came upon one of those black, plastic ash trays, like the one's from the 70's, lying off to the side of the trail--not anywhere near a campsite or anything, just to the side of the trail--filled with cigarette butts, literally filled. It upset me that I had to carry those damn cigarette butts for the rest of my hike, overnight, and back out again to the trash. Yeah, its always a good feeling to clean up the woods--I'm sure mother nature appreciates it--but really people, take care of your own trash...please.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    There are plane parts in New England woods - pre dating Lindburg -known to some 100 year old locals today there in the woods is just the engine. It has been stumbled on once before - but the person could not retrace his steps. Hope you have a good GPS.

Disappearance of L'Oiseau BlancOn 8–9 May 1927, Charles Nungesser and François Coli attempted to cross the Atlantic from Paris to the USA in a Levasseur PL-8 biplane L'Oiseau Blanc ("The White Bird"), but were lost.

Attachment 25652
    It's a shame that it can't be located again. The story of The White Bird is an interesting piece of aviation history. I first heard the story on an episode of Unsolved Mysteries. A lot of people have searched for it over the years. I recall reading about one search for it in a non-fiction book by Clive Cussler, either The Sea Hunters or The Sea Hunters II. I think he concluded the wreck was probably at the bottom of a lake or bog. I would love to see it found. They may not have landed safely, but they made it across the Atlantic. At least that's what I believe. There were numerous contemporary sightings of the plane over Maine and if the remains of The White Bird could be found it would lay another aviation mystery to rest.

AT Hike 2011 103.jpg I found this right next to the trail just north of Woody Gap. I think its an old scale. What it was doing in the woods, who knows? I've also found old farm equipment near the trail in New England, just left in place when the farm was sold or abandoned and the woods grew up around it. Old cars from the 1950s and 60s too.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Undershaft View Post

AT Hike 2011 103.jpg I found this right next to the trail just north of Woody Gap. I think its an old scale. What it was doing in the woods, who knows? I've also found old farm equipment near the trail in New England, just left in place when the farm was sold or abandoned and the woods grew up around it. Old cars from the 1950s and 60s too.
    Bless their hearts. It's the remains of the gear of a ULer concerned with their grams.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Found a mylar birthday balloon partially deflated hung-up in a laurel bush once while hiking around the Standing Indian Loop. I always wondered how far that sucker drifted before coming to rest at that spot on the trail.
    I have found these awful balloons all over the US. PCT, CDT, AT, FT, LT literally everywhere. I've bushwacked off trail to retrieve them. They need to be be banned. They end up in the ocean and foul rivers too. I hate them.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

a case of beer about a mile NOBO right before Uncle Johnny's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++