WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Dare I mention you can get a cold beer for a $1 or so at the Elkwallow Wayside. Can't remember about the others as I passed through there in 2008. I grabbed two to enjoy in the afternoon sun at Gravel Springs a few years ago. Be sure to pack out the cans.
    ....And Beer and Burgers downstairs at the Tap Room at Big Meadows Lodge.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    ....And Beer and Burgers downstairs at the Tap Room at Big Meadows Lodge.
    Mmmmmm burgers!

As one poster mentioned - Beer is CHEAP! Yes, it is cheaper than pop. (careful!) But, everyone over 21 owes it to themselves to try a Yuengling! (America's OLDEST still-operational brewery! - You can tour this when you hit PA).

Seriously, plan on:
    Big Meadows - Cheeseburger!
    Skyline - Breakfast!
    Elk Wallow - Blackberry Shake!

Lewis Mountain is the perfect place for a shower. We only showered and passed through; however, they do have cabins and campsites to rent.

At each area - yes, you do have resupply; however, it might be very limited, which is no big deal for the short amount of time you are in the park.

We LOVED this section!!!!!

It's been eight years since my section through SNP but still remember those waysides fondly! As I recall the food was delicious including those blackberry shakes! Or maybe I was just real hungry, either way I can't wait to walk that way again!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I hiked that stretch last spring. I resupplied in Atkins, VA. That required a taxi ride (could have hitched, I guess) I stayed overnight in the cheap motel there. I had prespotted my resupply there before starting.
    I took a week to get to Atkins and another three days or so to get to Fort Royal. The hamburgers at the waysides (and food in general) are delicious and rather high priced. Resupply is limited, but you could get by.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Sounds good, I am departing Minneapolis on 4/1/14 driving to Waynesboro, VA. Sell my car in Waynesboro, and then get onto the trail. Considering that the Waysides do not open until 4/11/14. I am in no hurry. I have room for one passenger if you happen to be on my route to Waynesboro, VA. Send me a private message.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

I am planning this hike with a buddy for the second week in May. Thank you thread starter and everyone for the advice. I can't seem to figure out exactly how many miles this walk is; Does anyone have an idea of exact mileage? Also, I am curious if we will be in the thru bubble (i don't mind in fact part of this journey is meeting new people)?

Thank you everyone.

Looks like 107 miles. I'd guess you wi be ahead of the bubble. Enjoy SNP is awesome.

I hiked the SNP two years after my thru hike ( 2009) and the phone signal was much improved. As far as food drops go, My wife and I drove north to south leaving 2-3days of food at the campground stores and even used the front desk of the lodge. Everyone was very nice and it made for a enjoyable hike averaging 15 mile days. Believe me, you can travel light, weight wise. The campground stores and lodges have plenty of burgers, milkshakes and fries to carbo load. Only problem was water. But this year looks like a lot of snow so I'm assuming that will improve.
    good luck on your hike. That stretch of the trail is in my top three areas of the trail. Get your permit on line and they will ask you to fill out the dates and where you plan to camp out each night. Leaving Waynesboro and traveling north will let you fall in with lots of weekend hikers.

Your early on the bubble but this year with all of the REALLY bad weather in the south the thru hikers may be a rare sighting. I also did it in Mid May and it was perfect except for some water shortage, but nothing too serious.
    think about leaving some food drops at the campground stores and / or lodges.

Any of the parks camp stores have Iso fuel? If that is there a place in front royal to reliably buy some?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++