WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scooterdogma View Post
    I took your advice on the spikes the last time you posted the info. You are right, they are great. We were out in 2 inch thick yellow clay mud last weekend and going up and down hills proved how well they worked. Everyone else was slip sliding away, but not me, thanks Karl
    i made a wrench for them 8 grams (looking for a plastic one)
    2014-01-03 11.30.25.jpg
    (21 grams with 8 screws.)
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    FWIW, The pair of Microspikes I own fit equally securely on my trail runners, 2 different leather hiking boots and also my insulated New Balance winter hiking boots-- which is to say they are amazingly versatile for the way I use them.

They are super easy to put on, and (unlike the instep crampons which they replaced) so comfortable I don't even know I have them on.

That said, I have been on iced over trails where they didn't give me the same kind of confidence that regular crampons would have, and I have turned around as a result. Which for me might be considered yet another benefit.

They are simply great, IMHO.
    +1
    I can use the same microspikes on winter boots and trail runners, and have
    There are probably conditions where you would want crampons, but the microspikes have the advantage of being really quick to put on and take off and can be left on for short non-snow, non-ice patches of trail without too much damage.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries

After checking several options, I went with these .
    Blackheart

I'm a huge fan of my Hillsound Trail Crampons. They're a little more aggressive & have the boot strap. I've never used Microspikes. I imagine they're pretty similar.

My friend had a pair of yaktraxs fail on him on a quick day hike of Mt. Monadnock. I think they broke in a number of places. It was also the first time he'd used them.

The ones you got look interesting, you'll have to report how they grip & hold up!

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    +1
    I can use the same microspikes on winter boots and trail runners, and have
    There are probably conditions where you would want crampons, but the microspikes have the advantage of being really quick to put on and take off and can be left on for short non-snow, non-ice patches of trail without too much damage.
    Microspikes are great on packed snow or icy trails which aren't too steep. Here in the White Mountains, many of the trails turn into ice climbs in places where the trail is real steep. To get up these you need to be able to side step and Microspikes aren't good at that. I haven't gotten out much this winter, but I suspect there are some really good ice climbs along the trails this year due to all the rain and thawing followed by a week of sub zero temps. I'm sure the ice climbers are having a ball this winter up here!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Microspikes! +44 (or however many people recommended them). I've used them going down icy trails in the Grand Canyon. Work like a champ. There were a couple of places that I really didn't want to fall & slide. Microspikes kept me secure on the trail like I was walking down a dry sidewalk.

I used to use in-step crampons. They ended up being a pain to adjust. It took a long time to go from needing them to actually having them on my feet & walking. I can pull Microspikes out of my pack side pocket, slip them on my shoes, and start walking in around a minute.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i made a wrench for them 8 grams (looking for a plastic one)
    2014-01-03 11.30.25.jpg
    (21 grams with 8 screws.)
    Me Likey, Likey ....

Winter 35R & Catskill 3500 Club Starvin Marvin's Avatar

+3 for the Hillsounds. Longer teeth and they stay on your feet.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Walk it off.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    After checking several options, I went with these .
    I saw these after I got my Microspikes. My only concern w/ these was the possibility of tearing up the sole my shoe. The edge pattern is 360 deg. It would dig into the ice & shoe at the same time. It might be better suited for boats with a sturdier sole design.

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    You could play basketball on ice with Micospikes.....no....really! The only downside is the weight.
    I've said the same thing. Microspikes are amazing and all I would ever need on the AT. They are easy to put on, take off, and kind to your footwear.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Hillsound makes more than one crampon. The Hillsound Trail Pro Crampon gets consistently great reviews:
    http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...181326.3688336
    review: http://sectionhiker.com/hillsound-trail-crampon-pro/
    These are closer to real crampons and work on hard, cold, steeper ice where microspikes aren't so great. A couple years ago we had a lot of ice and cold; microspikes didn't work so well on this stuff even on any slope. I got some Camp crampons that are almost identical to Hillsound Trail Pro Crampon and they worked great. http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...181326.3688336 Hillsound Pros would also have worked identically. If I'm remembering correctly the Camp Magix crampons adjusted to a wider range of sizes.

The Hillsound Trail Crampon (non-pro) got lousy reviews; these are comparable to microspikes except that microspikes are more reliable. Hillsound has new models but I haven't seen reviews yet.

Microspikes are still great, just not on steep hard ice where you need more of a real crampon. For New England, they usually work OK except in a few places above treeline. I use the microspikes more than my Camp Magix crampons for local woods walks.

In Washington are you sure you don't need real crampons? For glacier travel or steep snow fields I'd want real crampons. Microspikes and Hillsound Pros would work fine for woods walks.

I tried microspikes for the first time and loved them. But be aware that Kahtoola very recently updated the design, and a lot of retailers are still selling the old version. The new version has 4 spikes in the back, the the rear spikes cover closer to the edge of the heel now. (better for going downhill) I used a rented pair of microspikes on a sheer ice trail and it was mind blowing. I have not purchased a pair yet, and am also considering the Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...181326.3688336 They are a new model for Hillsound and have more spikes (18) and a lightweight design. They also come with a carry bag and the Kahtoolas do not. The two are very close in weight.
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Depends on how intermittent. If fairly frequent than I will use Kahtoolas. If not frequent I will use YakTrax. I actually prefer the running style over the walking style of YakTrax.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post

In Washington are you sure you don't need real crampons? For glacier travel or steep snow fields I'd want real crampons. Microspikes and Hillsound Pros would work fine for woods walks.
    Just looking for light duty traction now. If I get back into steeper per terrain I'll look at real crampons. I may even have some hiding somewhere.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    I like yaktrax but having said that they're not durable. I've only had mine for two winters now and the rubber and coils are breaking. They're going to replace them or I'd be buying something else. No problem on the return and replacement tho. I'll probably double up the rubber with suspension line and maybe wire the coils together as a precaution.

I'm interested in how this thread turns out.

I'm mailing them back, for the cost of postage I'll give them another try. But it seems like MicroSpikes are the consensus.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

For all the hiking I've done in 40 years, I've never winter-hiked in conditions necessitating crampons or similar ice grippers. So I thought I'd bring this excellent discussion back up to see if anyone has any experiences or recommendations to share from the last 3 years since this thread was active.

Now that I live in Vermont, I either need to be prepared or not hike in winter!

Microspikes if it's not too steep, crampons (eg. Hillsounds) once it gets steeper. I carry both on winter peakbagging trips in the White Mountains. Beyond a certain steepness, even the crampons aren't enough... that's usually when I turn back.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Microspikes if it's not too steep, crampons (eg. Hillsounds) once it gets steeper. I carry both on winter peakbagging trips in the White Mountains. Beyond a certain steepness, even the crampons aren't enough... that's usually when I turn back.
    Yeah, the recommendations haven't changed much in the last three years.

Yaktrax still break.
    Stabilicers give OK traction but you need to carry spare studs (and the tool to insert them) because they lose studs from time to time.
    Microspikes are widely recommended.
    Hillsound trail crampons are also quite good.
    For really severe ice, you need real crampons, and a boot that supports the kind you choose. (I use Black Diamond Contact strap-ons.) Most hikers, with really severe ice, just don't go, as Rafe says above.
    If you need real crampons, you need an ice axe (a mountaineering axe, not an ice climbing one) and an instructor (until you're proficient in self-arrest).

Ascent snowshoes are a major help on steep trails. I love my Black Diamond Lightning for the purpose. The system with the removable tails is nice, because a lot of the time, here in the East, the snow is wet and sloppy and half-consolidated, and the trails are narrow, and you need manoeuvrability more than flotation. I have the 25-inch model with the tails, which the catalog says is marginal for a guy my size, but which works out quite well in practice. If you leave postholes for me to trip over, I'll curse your name!
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

I just got some new boots from Merrell with the Arctic Grip sole. While nowhere as good as spikes, it does a good job with the occasional slippery spots given it's just rubber. I have not really experienced the stick to ice that I've seen in the videos buty it does gives grip while other shoes don't (tried one on each foot as a test, big difference).

Other that that I have microspikes and full crampons, my g/f uses the hillsound microcrampons which work better on holding on ice, less good for walking on rocks in those conditions where both are required.

Another microspike user here. I was in the same boat and it came down to the Hillsound and the ole-standard. I went with the Kahoolas and no regrets. I hike the same steep path all year round and this year it was packed snow and ice for eight miles and the microspikes are magic. I currently have no regrets with them and I'm not sure how I'd improve them. They work flawlessly.

I carry the snowshoes for the top where I like to trounce around off the path but the microspikes are the bomb.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++